38 Minor Leaguers Suspended for Violating New Drug Policy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

38 Minor Leaguers Suspended for Violating New Drug Policy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

38 Minor Leaguers Suspended for Violating New Drug Policy

Postby donny23 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:50 pm

Wow, this is very troublesome. 8-o This is a sad statement on the state of the game right now.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2029779
donny23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Nomar4prez » Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:52 pm

David Castillo of the Oakland A's Single-A team was given a penalty of 60 games.

Minor league penalties for violations are 15 games for 1st positive test; 30 for second; 60 for third; 1 year for fourth; lifetime ban for fifth positive.

Are you kidding me? This guy is a moron!
[url]http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973[/url]
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby donny23 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:54 pm

This basically is a statement on just how many fringe players have probably used steroids. We've focused so much on the stars, that we're forgetting just how many players without big names in the game could be using.
donny23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby wrveres » Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:57 pm

David Castillo of the Oakland A's Single-A team was given a penalty of 60 games.

Minor league penalties for violations are
15 games for 1st positive test;
30 for second;
60 for third;
1 year for fourth;
lifetime ban for fifth positive.

3 times?

this guy has been busted 3 times allready? 8-o
holy chit!

_______

Also, why is MLB dropping these names on opening day. Thats two days in a row. Makes you wonder if there will be more names tomorrow. I guess they figure that more people will be paying attn. since its opening day and they will see "Suspensions", and figure that MLB is fixing the problem.
Personally I think it takes away from the "Opening Day" atmosphere and is a poor decision by Selig. :-t
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 687)

Postby Nomar4prez » Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:00 pm

wrveres wrote:

30 for second;
60 for third;
1 year for fourth;

3 times?

holy chit!

I'm way ahead of ya. :-D
[url]http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973[/url]
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby donny23 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:02 pm

I think doing it a bit earlier would have been better, but doing it now doesn't bother me. Put the scare into them early that this is no joke. I think that's the main purpose. Time to get rid of this problem and starting from the minor leagues at least sends a message to the younger kids (which to me is more important than any records or bs that has been talked about). Time to teach these young kids that to make it to the majors, you have to work your butt off and be good. The sad part is that this should be done at the major league level also. I truly think they want to give the stars time to clean up their act so that as few as possible test positive. Anyone know how far back these tests go in terms of tracing steroid use in a person? How long does a person have to be clean for it not to show up?

wrveres wrote:

30 for second;
60 for third;
1 year for fourth;

3 times?

holy chit!

_______

Also, why is MLB dropping these names on opening day. Thats two days in a row. Makes you wonder if there will be more names tomorrow. I guess they figure that more people will be paying attn. since its opening day and they will see "Suspensions", and figure that MLB is fixing the problem.
Personally I think it takes away from the "Opening Day" atmosphere and is a poor decision by Selig. :-t
donny23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby eftda » Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:03 pm

Who said I was crazy for saying the real roid probelm was in the minors? HMMMM, feels good being right. B-)
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Rirruto » Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:03 pm

I wonder what other kinds of drugs these kids were using. Doesnt say in the article and cant be all steroids, can it?
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby donny23 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:05 pm

The espn headline implies it was all steroids. I think suspensions of this length only apply to steroids.

Rirruto wrote:I wonder what other kinds of drugs these kids were using. Doesnt say in the article and cant be all steroids, can it?
donny23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby donny23 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:06 pm

:-t Sure, if you enjoy watching the game of baseball being completely tarnished and kids of america screwing up their bodies and lives long-term just for a chance to make the big leagues. Personally, if I had predicted this as you had, I would rather have been wrong...

eftda wrote:Who said I was crazy for saying the real roid probelm was in the minors? HMMMM, feels good being right. B-)
donny23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers