MLB.TV question - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

MLB.TV question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:10 am

Phatferd wrote:I also just pleasently found out that Dish Network, "for my convienence" automatically renwed my Xtra Innings to save me, "the hassle of re-subscribing." How messed up is that? I can't cancel now cause the season started I had until yesterday to cancel, I am in at least 43 bucks, so I might as well just do that again this year, so I think I am going the splitter route.

I talked to my roomate and he told me he thinks the guy who installed it might of used a splitter or ran it through one. He said he was in the attic one time and thought he saw one. The dish it on the back roof and the cable comes in through the attic to the garage and into the LR from there. He said he thinks the cable runs through a splitter in the attic to the garage.

I think the person before us had Direct TV and he pretty much used their old cable so he didn't have to go into the attic. He just spliced it where it goes into the attic and where it came outta the attic. If this is the case all I would need to do is get an RG-6 cable and run it from the other plug into my TV in my room, right?

I'll have to go into my attic this weekend. I hate going up there.

Unfortunately for you, the auto-renew feature is that way for most providers. They actually say that it's for your benefit but we all know the truth. I would assume that if you caused enough of a stink, you could get it cancelled, especially since they should be running a freeview for a week or so right now.

I would also assume that there is no splitter currently being used unless you experience a lot of freezing on the channels. I say this because normal cable splitters aren't capable of transmitting a satellite signal unless you watch the same (or similar) channel. You experience signal loss as the 2 receivers are fighting over the signal and 1 of them loses. Chances are that if there is something in between the dish and the receivers, it is a multi-switch, which is basically a powered splitter that amplifies the signal to prevent the signal loss. If there is a multi-switch in the attic, it might be easier to run another receiver as long as you have an open tap on the switch.

It's also not surprising that you were able to use some DTV stuff for DNet. In reality, you can actually use a DTV dish for DNet (and vice versa, I believe). The birds are actually close in the sky so a simple tweak is all that is needed. You don't need to worry about that as you already have a signal.

I would say that you just need to do what I told you before as long as the TV in the LR has a good signal and doesn't freeze unless you have bad weather. The reason why you can use a splitter as I described is because it is after the receiver has received and encoded the signal.

I don't want to confuse you anymore but if you don't have that small jumper that I told you about, you can use normal RCA audio/video cables as long as the LR TV is a stereo TV. Then, you won't even need the splitter or the jumper. All that you need to do is:

1. Keep your setup as is with the cable coming in from the dish to the SATELLITE IN on the receiver in the LR.
2. Use RCA cables connecting the audio and video from the receiver to the inputs on the back of the TV. These RCA cables are the standard red, white, and yellow tipped cables that come with many electronics. This will also make the picture better on that TV.
3. Connect the long RG-6 cable from the OUT TO TV on the receiver to the TV in your BR.

I apologize for not thinking of this before. Remember that this will only work if you have a stereo TV in the LR.

If any of this confused you, let me know.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:17 am

Also, if you have a good signal in the LR, you really don't need to go up in the attic if you don't want to. Here is what the RCA cable looks like that I mentioned above:

Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers