MLB.TV question - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

MLB.TV question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:59 am

Phatferd wrote:well I'd be paying the 5 bucks on top of the 150 or whatever for the baseball package....The MLB.TV is like 80 bucks its half the price another good thing.

I am really starting to think about the splitter though. Hardly anyone is out in the LV at night so it shouldnt matter if I am watchign something in here. One thing about that though. How would I change the channel if I am in my room and the reciever is in the LV? Would I have to pay for the reciever and just not pay for a seperate monthly fee by activating it with its own card?

Well, that might be the whole pyramid thing that you were talking about. Not sure, though. I do know that there are infrared remotes (or something like that) where you can change the channel from another room. What I was talking about before is that if you are gonna pay $150 for the package, what's another $5/month?? Anyway, I know for a fact that you can get a remote or something in between that will allow you to change the channel from another room.

Unless you want to hack DNet, you are gonna have to activate the new access card in the new IRD if you buy/get another 1.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Phatferd » Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:07 am

How easy are splitters to install? If I caleld Dish would they send someone to do it or is it a No No in their eyes? I'm sure they would rather me buy a new reciever.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby quietstorm » Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:07 am

Just go for excess and hook your PC up to your sat, wirelessly ;)
Your wisemen don't know how it feels to be thick as a brick...
quietstorm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Phatferd » Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:12 am

quietstorm wrote:Just go for excess and hook your PC up to your sat, wirelessly ;)

Hahaha is that possible? Argh Argh Argh (tim the tool man taylor style).
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:25 am

Phatferd wrote:How easy are splitters to install? If I caleld Dish would they send someone to do it or is it a No No in their eyes? I'm sure they would rather me buy a new reciever.

Not sure about calling them. I wouldn't because you don't need them. I have splitters and wire but since I'm across the country from you, the easiest thing is to just go to Rat Shack and get a 2 way splitter and a run of cable long enough to reach your bedroom. Just make sure that it's RG-6 cable. RG-59 is too thin.

Basically, you will need 3 things:

1. A simple 2-way splitter
2. A long RG-6 wire run to go from the reciver in the LR to your TV in your BR
3. A small jumper (small RG-6 preferable cable that is only a few feet long)

Disconnect the cable going from the TV in the LR and put it into the splitter in the side that only has 1 input. Then, take the small jumper and run that from 1 of the outputs on the splitter and to the TV in the LR. Then, take the long cable run and plug 1 end into the other output on the splitter and the other end into the TV in your BR. You are done.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Phatferd » Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:41 am

Lofunzo wrote:
Phatferd wrote:How easy are splitters to install? If I caleld Dish would they send someone to do it or is it a No No in their eyes? I'm sure they would rather me buy a new reciever.

Not sure about calling them. I wouldn't because you don't need them. I have splitters and wire but since I'm across the country from you, the easiest thing is to just go to Rat Shack and get a 2 way splitter and a run of cable long enough to reach your bedroom. Just make sure that it's RG-6 cable. RG-59 is too thin.

Basically, you will need 3 things:

1. A simple 2-way splitter
2. A long RG-6 wire run to go from the reciver in the LR to your TV in your BR
3. A small jumper (small RG-6 preferable cable that is only a few feet long)

Disconnect the cable going from the TV in the LR and put it into the splitter in the side that only has 1 input. Then, take the small jumper and run that from 1 of the outputs on the splitter and to the TV in the LR. Then, take the long cable run and plug 1 end into the other output on the splitter and the other end into the TV in your BR. You are done.

Thanks a bunch Lofunzo, I swear I am retarted. You explained that great, but I am one of those idiots who can't picture things in my head without a picture or diagram...I'll just ask one of my friends who like electronics and stuff.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:42 am

Phatferd wrote:Thanks a bunch Lofunzo, I swear I am retarted. You explained that great, but I am one of those idiots who can't picture things in my head without a picture or diagram...I'll just ask one of my friends who like electronics and stuff.

No problem. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Just to give you a better visual, here are examples of each item:

SPLITTER
http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F003%5F010%5F001%5F000&product%5Fid=15%2D1234

LONG RG-6 RUN
http://store.yahoo.com/1procura/m61239.html

JUMPER
http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F003%5F010%5F003%5F001&product%5Fid=15%2D1552

The RG-6 25 footer and the jumper are exactly the same thinfs except for the length.
Lofunzo

Postby Phatferd » Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:51 am

Sweet that makes a lot more sense now that I can see the Splitter.

The hard part now is finding a way to run the cable to my room without it looking ghetto.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:54 am

Phatferd wrote:Sweet that makes a lot more sense now that I can see the Splitter.

The hard part now is finding a way to run the cable to my room without it looking ghetto.

LOL. That could be a problem. It all depends on where everything is and where you need to run it. Don't be scared to drill a small hole in a wall along the floor to get it from 1 room to another or if there is a basement, you can go down through the floor in the LR and then back up in the BR. Just some thoughts.
Lofunzo

Postby Phatferd » Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:58 am

I also just pleasently found out that Dish Network, "for my convienence" automatically renwed my Xtra Innings to save me, "the hassle of re-subscribing." How messed up is that? I can't cancel now cause the season started I had until yesterday to cancel, I am in at least 43 bucks, so I might as well just do that again this year, so I think I am going the splitter route.

I talked to my roomate and he told me he thinks the guy who installed it might of used a splitter or ran it through one. He said he was in the attic one time and thought he saw one. The dish it on the back roof and the cable comes in through the attic to the garage and into the LR from there. He said he thinks the cable runs through a splitter in the attic to the garage.

I think the person before us had Direct TV and he pretty much used their old cable so he didn't have to go into the attic. He just spliced it where it goes into the attic and where it came outta the attic. If this is the case all I would need to do is get an RG-6 cable and run it from the other plug into my TV in my room, right?

I'll have to go into my attic this weekend. I hate going up there.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers