MLB.TV question - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

MLB.TV question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

MLB.TV question

Postby Phatferd » Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:07 pm

Last year I bought Xtra Innings on Dish Networks and loved it, but I don't have a reciever in my room for the Dish, so I want to get MLB.TV so I can watch it on my computer in my room. I really love it and love how it has more games than Xtra Innings offers, but the quality really gets to me after a while.

Does anyone know of ways to get a little better quality? I am not the most computer savvy person, so that may be a dumb question. I know a better monitor would help, but I don't have the money to get a really good one.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:31 pm

i dont think there is anything you can do about it. the loss of quality is coming from compressing the data to a reasonable size for streaming over the internet. in other words, thats on their end and not on your end.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:44 pm

If this is your only option, I think that you might be SOL. I think that the quality that you get is that way because better quality would have pauses and such. If you sit away from your monitor like the distance that you sit from a TV, that should help. Can't you just get another dish IRD in your room?? Changing from a single to a dual LNB is a snap or you can get it for free if you call them and ask. I'm also quite sure that it only costs another $5/month to mirror your package. Small price to pay when you're gonna pay for MLBTV anyway. :-?
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 18)

Postby Phatferd » Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:40 am

Are you guys saying that a graphics card won't help at all? Since it's being streamed the card wouldn't make a difference?
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:44 am

Phatferd wrote:Are you guys saying that a graphics card won't help at all? Since it's being streamed the card wouldn't make a difference?

I don't think so. I believe that after a certain point, it's just overkill.

As for the DNet, it all depends on your current dish and setup. Keep in mind that the # LNB depends on the # of lines coming off of the dish. If you have 1 TV, it's a single. 2 and it's a double. Some dishes have a built in multi-switch. This usually allows 4 IRD's (receivers) off of a single dish. If this is too much for you to work out, you can always call them and tell them that you want another receiver. They should send out an installer for you. Like I said, it should only be another $5 to mirror the service to another IRD.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Phatferd » Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:30 am

Well I don't want to pay 5 bucks a month because I don't really watch much TV other than baseball. Are you saying it should be 5 bucks a month or 5 bucks flat out?

I know I stayed at a friends house once on vacation and he had Direct TV, but in one room he didnth have a reciever, he had this little pyramid looking thing that controlled the reciever all the way across the house. The only thing is you can only use this when someone doesn't want to watch the TV that the Pyramid thing was taking the signal from.

I don't remember a lot about it, would this be an option? I would assume you pay a one time fee for the pyramid thing.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby reznorsboy » Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:32 am

The only thing that I found that improved it was making sure that you don't have other applications using up your bandwidth at the same time. Also scanning your computer for adware programs and getting rid of them.

But basically I agree with the others about the streaming issues.

On a side note I was watching the Cubs game today on MLB.tv and all the sudden it changed to TBS and Everybody loves Raymond was on for like 10 minutes. Then it went back. It was kinda funy. I don't know how it would go to TBS as the braves didn't play today.
reznorsboy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:48 am

Phatferd wrote:Well I don't want to pay 5 bucks a month because I don't really watch much TV other than baseball. Are you saying it should be 5 bucks a month or 5 bucks flat out?

I know I stayed at a friends house once on vacation and he had Direct TV, but in one room he didnth have a reciever, he had this little pyramid looking thing that controlled the reciever all the way across the house. The only thing is you can only use this when someone doesn't want to watch the TV that the Pyramid thing was taking the signal from.

I don't remember a lot about it, would this be an option? I would assume you pay a one time fee for the pyramid thing.

It's $5/month but wouldn't you be paying at least that to watch the games on your PC?? Not sure about the pyramid thing but another option is to use a splitter in between the receiver in the LR and the TV there. 1 of the 2 outputs could go to that TV and the other output could go to the TV in your bedroom. The only drawback is that you would have to be watching the same channel in both rooms.
Lofunzo

Postby Phatferd » Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:51 am

well I'd be paying the 5 bucks on top of the 150 or whatever for the baseball package....The MLB.TV is like 80 bucks its half the price another good thing.

I am really starting to think about the splitter though. Hardly anyone is out in the LV at night so it shouldnt matter if I am watchign something in here. One thing about that though. How would I change the channel if I am in my room and the reciever is in the LV? Would I have to pay for the reciever and just not pay for a seperate monthly fee by activating it with its own card?
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby quietstorm » Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:57 am

As these other guys said, you're SOL with quality. Streamed video, even on broadband, has to retain a low quality. If you want an example of why, find a 1-hour-long video file on a P2P program (Kazaa, WinMX, BitTorrent), make sure it's a high quality, and see how long it takes to download. If it's high quality, it will take longer than 1 hour. For a game that you're watching in real time, that won't work, because streaming is simply downloading at the same speed you watch it. That means you download one second of video every second you're watching. Higher quality would alter that, and you'd watch a few seconds, pause, watch a few seconds, pause. (I'm using dial-up, so that's how it works with any video online, for me *cry.)

You'd be better off getting an extra receiver for your sattelite.
Your wisemen don't know how it feels to be thick as a brick...
quietstorm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers