so, who closes for the mets now? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

so, who closes for the mets now?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Amazinz » Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:50 pm

Lofunzo wrote:The Mets bullpen is terrible but that was common knowledge.

We'll see. I hope you're wrong. I can understand why people are critical of the Mets pen but I also think that it's far from common knowledge. This is a very different pen than last year so how does anyone know? Obviously I'll choose to be more optimistic about the situation.

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:What did you guys do to address this in the offseason? Are Mets fans optimistic about it or do they realize they need to upgrade? Are there any new trade rumors? It seems that with all that money spent this offseason, to not address the biggest weakness would be a waste. Is there a sence of urgency now or is it more a state of optimism that who you have will be good enough? BTW - what about Bell, Koo, and Strickland - are they for real or is it more optimism than anything else? It seems we in Detroit have similar guys in German and Rodney, but then again, they arent counted on for major setup roles currently.

I would say that Mets fans in general are optimistic about the bullpen because we're familiar with the young talent that will augment it. Also, to be fair, we're looking at the situation through rose-colored glasses.

Bell is the real deal. I honestly believe that. Strickland has a lot of potential but he hasn't pitched in over a year and a half so I'm less sure about him. You know as much about Mr. Koo as I do. I only know what I've seen this ST and how good he looked yesterday. I hope he's the real deal and I also fear that batters will catch up with his funky delivery. If Bell, Strickland and Koo live up to potential than the Mets bullpen will be pretty good.

Obviously I don't know what Minaya's thinking is but I'm pretty sure they would have liked to bolster the bullpen with a proven commodity. I don't think there was anything available that was fairly priced (from their perspective). If this team can really contend then they will overcome the bullpen enough to "hang around" until the AS break. If they look like contenders at that point and the young guys haven't stepped up I'd assume at that point they would make a move.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ensanimal » Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:02 pm

so, who closes for the mets now?

so, who closes for the yanks now? :-? ;-7 :-b
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 108)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers