so, who closes for the mets now? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

so, who closes for the mets now?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby slomo007 » Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:14 pm

jpbusta wrote:
AznHisoka wrote:Two words. Dae-Sung Koo.

;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D

Please tell me you guys aren't serious about him closing over Looper, right? The guy throws his fastball at 89, and he's a 36 year old lefty to top it off. No chance he'll close, unless Looper were to get hurt. Even then, I would expect a trade for Urbina or Baez.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:16 pm

closer Braden Looper
setup Mike DeJean
setup Dae-Sung Koo lhp
setup Roberto Hernadez
middle Mike Matthews lhp
middle Manny Aybar
middle Felix Heredia lhp (assuming he is not outright released)
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Dans » Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:19 pm

I still don't understand why they traded Stanton for Heredia. That was an awful trade.
Dans
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:22 pm

Save money.

And they were somewhat unhappy with Stanton I believe though I amnot that familiar with the situation. Of course they got stuck with Heredia, who is one of the worst relievers around in everyone's mind except Joe Torre's in 04 it would seem.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby gtabaplayr1 » Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:37 pm

That's whats gonna happen when pedro only pitches 6 innings every start and cant be effective much past the 100 pitch mark.
gtabaplayr1
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jpbusta » Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:38 pm

slomo007 wrote:
jpbusta wrote:
AznHisoka wrote:Two words. Dae-Sung Koo.

;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D

Please tell me you guys aren't serious about him closing over Looper, right? The guy throws his fastball at 89, and he's a 36 year old lefty to top it off. No chance he'll close, unless Looper were to get hurt. Even then, I would expect a trade for Urbina or Baez.

lol, I wasn't talking about him closing over Looper. I think Looper will keep his job throughout the season and end up with descent numbers. You guys were all bashing on Mets bullpen and were saying it sucked so I just wanted to mention a reliever who's going to have a nice impact on their bullpen this year. :-)
R2C2.
jpbusta
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Amazinz » Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:41 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:While I dont think Looper will lose his job anytime soon, I do think openning day highlighted the Mets biggest weakness.

Middle relief is the Mets biggest question mark but Looper isn't. I don't think Looper getting lit up highlights the Mets weakness because he's the most dependable aspect of their bullpen. It's just magnifide because it was opening day.

As far as the rest of the pen, the bullpen is the Mets biggest question mark because it's unproven not necessarily because it's bad. The opening day bullpen is most likely not the same bullpen the Mets will have in May. Bell, Strickland, Koo, Dejean, Looper could prove to be a pretty decent bullpen. Both Strickland and Bell are still at AAA.

It would have been nice if the Mets could have traded for a legitimate setup man unfortunately both Detroit (Milledge?) and TB (Petit) wanted far too much. No reason to overpay for relief pitching in April.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby 9er Fan » Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:54 pm

So what's the over/under on how many times Pedro leaves the game ahead and ends up with a ND?
9er Fan
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:59 pm

Amazinz, I wasnt clear about my statement. I think Looper is solid and have no problem with him - its the entire bullpen that I agree is the Mets biggest weakness. It seems as though the only additions were in the form of SP and position players. As a fan of a team that lost damn near 30 games last yr when carrying a lead into the 7th inning I know that a team will go only as far as the bullpen takes them.

What did you guys do to address this in the offseason? Are Mets fans optimistic about it or do they realize they need to upgrade? Are there any new trade rumors? It seems that with all that money spent this offseason, to not address the biggest weakness would be a waste. Is there a sence of urgency now or is it more a state of optimism that who you have will be good enough? BTW - what about Bell, Koo, and Strickland - are they for real or is it more optimism than anything else? It seems we in Detroit have similar guys in German and Rodney, but then again, they arent counted on for major setup roles currently.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:05 pm

The Mets bullpen is terrible but that was common knowledge. If they had more SP that could go deep into games, it wouldn't be such a big deal but their biggest IP eater is on the DL right now. With their staff, they need some guys in the pen. Obviously. I'm not too worried about Looper, though. Just like I'm not too worried about D. Young hitting 486 HR this season. ;-7
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers