Chinese Legal System - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Chinese Legal System

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Chinese Legal System

Postby slomo007 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:26 pm

After the whole Schiavo ordeal, just thought we should notice this and realize how good we actually have it here in the U.S.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s ... e_china_dc

Jailed 'Killer' Freed After Wife Turns Up Alive

BEIJING (Reuters) - A Chinese man jailed and badly beaten for his wife's murder has been freed after she turned up not only alive but with another husband, domestic media said on Monday, revealing a brutal arbitrariness to China's legal system.

She Xianglin's wife, Zhang Zaiyu, disappeared after a domestic dispute in 1994 and when a woman's body was found in a local reservoir, She was detained on suspicion of killing his wife, the China Daily said.

The body was so decomposed it could not be identified, but a local court found She, a former part-time police officer from central Hubei province, guilty of murder and sentenced him to death.

A provincial court later commuted the sentence to 15 years in prison.

She, 39, was coerced into confessing to her murder and badly beaten in prison, the China Daily said.

International human rights groups say police torture is widespread in China and that suspects are held for long periods without trial. But it is rare for a victim, or the domestic media, to go public about police brutality.

She told the Beijing News that when he was first apprehended, police took him to a remote house and interrogated him for 11 days. He was given just two bowls of rice a day, nearly no water, prevented from sleeping and threatened with death.

"A policeman put his gun to my head and said, 'Believe me, I could shoot you right now'," She was quoted as saying from a prison hospital bed, where he was receiving a physical check before being released on Friday.

He said he did not remember making a confession, though the local court that ruled on his case was told he had.

The China Daily said photographs published since She's release showed he had been severely beaten while in jail and his legs and fingers broken.

Zhang resurfaced in late March in eastern Shandong province, where she had gone in 1994 and later married a local man, the China Daily said.

She said he wanted compensation for his years in jail and justice to be done.

"I want those officials involved in my conviction punished," he was quoted as saying.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby blankman » Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:30 pm

8-o
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby slomo007 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:33 pm

Let me sum it up for those too lazy to read:

Man gets interrogated for 11 days, starved, deprived of water, beaten (legs/fingers broken) jailed for years, and to top it off, his wife cheated on him and was not murdered. :-o
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby raiders_umpire » Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:45 pm

guess it is not so bad in the ole US of A then is it ;-)
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby RugbyD » Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:55 pm

blankman wrote:8-o

Don't act so surprised, this is just business as usual in a centralized authoritarian state.

And Jimmy Carter says Venezuela's election was legit. Fa!
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:05 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:guess it is not so bad in the ole US of A then is it ;-)

Maybe you should set your sights a little higher. Saying that you have a better human rights record than China is not saying a lot.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 281)

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:16 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:

Maybe you should set your sights a little higher. Saying that you have a better human rights record than China is not saying a lot.

agreed - but at the same time these human rights abuses around the world are rarely given the spotlight in the media, whereas US abuses of human rights seem to be on every major international press outlet.

As an American, it gets frusterating.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:55 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:

agreed - but at the same time these human rights abuses around the world are rarely given the spotlight in the media, whereas US abuses of human rights seem to be on every major international press outlet.

Not so sure about that CBM :-?

American press has close to zero international news coverage. So to say that the US press does not focus on international human rights issues is fair but I guess that you have nobody to blame but yourselves.

Having lived in the Netherlands and Canada and never in the US, I can tell you from my experience that the US does not get any additional attention than any other country. Europeans are just as self-centred as any other developed country. The oil-wars have changed that but there have been very few issues that have so polarized the world.

Americans sure do have a martyr complex. It's the richest nation in the world but it rarely looks outside its own boundaries unless its own interests are at stake. It has a history of pretty sucky isolationism but at the same time wants to be loved by the international community like Don Corleon. I realize that its a catch-22 and other nations are going to hate you no matter what you do but please don't cry about it.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 281)

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:24 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:

Not so sure about that CBM :-?

American press has close to zero international news coverage. So to say that the US press does not focus on international human rights issues is fair but I guess that you have nobody to blame but yourselves.

Having lived in the Netherlands and Canada and never in the US, I can tell you from my experience that the US does not get any additional attention than any other country. Europeans are just as self-centred as any other developed country. The oil-wars have changed that but there have been very few issues that have so polarized the world.

Americans sure do have a martyr complex. It's the richest nation in the world but it rarely looks outside its own boundaries unless its own interests are at stake. It has a history of pretty sucky isolationism but at the same time wants to be loved by the international community like Don Corleon. I realize that its a catch-22 and other nations are going to hate you no matter what you do but please don't cry about it.

I guess you are right, mookie - I rarely see international news outside of BBC and Canadian coverage. I guess my impressions are mostly based on the leftwing mass-media we get here in the states. ;-)
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:17 pm

So She is a he??? And whos on first?
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter