Upcoming keeper league draft, and I'm still torn - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Upcoming keeper league draft, and I'm still torn

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Upcoming keeper league draft, and I'm still torn

Postby TrueBeliever » Tue Dec 24, 2002 7:56 pm

I'm in a tough spot. I know its early, but I have a keeper league baseball draft/party on New Years Eve. It's the first draft in the keeper league, so obviously its very important. First round players we keep for the next 5 years, and everyone afterwards we keep for the next 3 years. I have the last (12th) pick, and I expect the following players to be drafted (not in any particular order)...

A-Rod
Vlad Guerrero
Alfonso Soriano
Sammy Sosa
Jason Giambi
Magglio Ordonez
Miguel Tejada

The rest is up in the air. As you can probably tell, everyone is favoring picking a hitter, and don't want to deal with the risk of having a pitcher for 5 years. Right now, I'm pretty sure I'm taking Pujols in the first round and Pedro Martinez right after that.

But first of all, everyone is telling me that "I'm crazy" for picking Pujols, and that I should take a more "established" hitter. Other tell me that Pujols might even be available in the 3rd round. Here's some other players I'm considering with the pick...

Nomar Garciaparra
Lance Berkman
Todd Helton
Barry Zito
Curt Schilling (Schilling and Pedro would be nice, but they're getting old)
Manny Ramirez
Ichiro

Is picking Pujols really as crazy as people say?
And if Schilling and Pedro are still available, should I forget picking Pujols and go pitcher-pitcher?
Or how about Barry Zito instead of the aging Schilling?

Help!
TrueBeliever
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TrueBeliever » Tue Dec 24, 2002 8:00 pm

Oh yea, I almost forgot. It's standard 5X5 head to head league. Thanks in advance.
TrueBeliever
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby tlef316 » Tue Dec 24, 2002 8:44 pm

it seems like they are just trying to talk you out of taking pujols. he is a great value at # 12, especially in a keeper league. he has multi positional eligiblity, has an insane amount of talent and is still very young. pick him and dont look back. as far as the 2nd round pick goes, i would take someone young, like zito, but its up to you. dont pass on pujols
welcome home andy
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 25, 2002 12:02 am

You'd have to have consumed enough alcohol to kill a small to medium sized Asian family to not pick Pujols...
Of course they're trying to talk you out of Pujols.

If you actually think they're trying to give you friendly advice by saying "he'll be there in the 3rd round" then shame on you.

Get them back - tell em you decided against picking Pujols and you're going in another direction... Then if you're having a real *party* by the time you actually get the to draft 1/2 the people there will be hammered, and totally thrown off by you picking Pujols..and screws up their entire pre-draft preparations
Oh yes my friend...Oh yes...
That'll teach em }:-)

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby TrueBeliever » Wed Dec 25, 2002 1:52 am

OK, so I'm taking Pujols. As you can see, I'm in a cut-throat league where mind tricks like this are not uncommon. But here's the next question. Zito, Pedro, or Schilling?
TrueBeliever
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby mrmarley » Wed Dec 25, 2002 1:33 pm

I'd go Pujols and Zito....Zito is young and still on his way up...Granted, Schilling is only 36, and you see what Randy Johnson has done the past couple of yrs, but I'd still rather put a little more faith in Zito over Schilling for a 3 yr term. Good luck!
mrmarley
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Grenade Teeth » Thu Dec 26, 2002 10:15 am

Where is Randy Johnson... 1 or 2 more years from him could win your league, especially if you can get him this late and pick early in the second round. Pitching wins leagues and Johnson is comparable to A Rod with 50 SB. He has been durable the last few years, why not a few more.
Grenade Teeth
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby morgoth » Thu Dec 26, 2002 1:09 pm

If your draft reaches the 12th pick in the first round and pujols and helton are availalbe, you have to jump on both of them. I love the Unit and Pedro but in a head to head league those guys are usually only going contribute one start per week. Pujols and Helton will play every day.
morgoth
T-Ball Trainer

draft

Postby HOOTIE » Tue Dec 31, 2002 5:30 am

Take Pujols, then Pedro. Pedro at 30 isnt old. Curt i wouldnt want for 3 years, and Ichiro shouldnt be drafted for awhile.
HOOTIE

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Arlo » Tue Dec 31, 2002 10:19 am

Grenade Teeth raises an interesting point: one way to play this kind of situation would be to draft Johnson and your choice of Helton, Bonds or Pedro (wouldn't that be a sweet rotation?), depending on who is left, and simply try to win this year. If everyone else is drafting for the future, now might be the best time to go for the title...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers