Schmidt vs. Sheets - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Schmidt vs. Sheets

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby George_Foreman » Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:44 am

schmidt, but definitley sheets if you're in a keeper.

j. schmidt is just more reliable, and while i think milwaukee will actually be better this year than it was last (especially that lineup. helloooooooooo carlos lee!) which will help his win totals, i think it's likely that his other numbers will be *slightly* worse.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kimchi_chigae » Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:20 am

i agree with you guys...except Spartans Rule ;-) ...it's schmidt...the Ws are the difference. i was able to trade for him in the begin of the season last year and this guy was awesome for me. the only thing that worries me about him is that alou leaves him out there for too long sometimes...120...130...pitches and alou won't take him out... :-[
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 200)

Postby seniorpaul » Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:40 am

I'd definatly go for Schmidt. Sheets had a great year last season, but all of his numbers were WAY better than his career averages. I realize that he's getting to the age where pitchers come around, but last year was the first time his ERA was under 4, first time he had more than 160 K's, and the first time his WHIP was under 1.25. I'm not bashing Sheets in any way, i think his numbers this season will be close to his numbers last season, and i think he'll pick up a couple more wins this years with an improving Brewers lineup. But Schmidt is a proven commodity. If it was a keeper situation, i would pretty much call it a toss up, with the edge probably going to Sheets (younger, and a real good bunch of youngin's expected to be playing ina year or two).
seniorpaul
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby prodpaul » Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:23 am

Schmidt in a heartbeat.

Tetelestai
prodpaul
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby AcidRock23 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:35 am

Will Schmidt blow Sheets away in the W category w/o big bad Barry in the lineup? I'm not sure that he'd really be all that much more effective missing that particular bat.

Sheets, OTOH, should probably end up w/ about 20 less K since Sosa got dealt though, too close to call in my opinion...
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:03 am

Give me Schmidt. Unless Sheets can win 15+ and keep his ERA under 3, I'll take Schmidt.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 389)

Postby swyswy » Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:22 pm

I think Sheets will probably top Schmidt in WHIP, ERA, and Ks. I also think that Sheets will get 13 or 14 wins and Schmidt will put up about the same.

I would definetely draft Schmidt before Sheets, BUT I would rather have Sheets on my team this year. With Barry out, the Giants will struggle on offense and Schmidt will probably lose a few low scoring games. That was the reason Sheets only won 12 last year, a lack of offensive support.

If you drafted Schmidt in the second round, and I drafted Sheets in the fourth, I got the better value.
swyswy
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Non Conforming

Postby baseballrich » Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:28 pm

Schmidt is a question mark with the injurie(s) over the last year. He also has only been outstanding for the last 2 years. Sheets is on the rise and should be a top 3 starter in the NL for the next 5 years
baseballrich
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby The Jury » Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:45 pm

swyswy wrote:I think Sheets will probably top Schmidt in WHIP, ERA, and Ks. I also think that Sheets will get 13 or 14 wins and Schmidt will put up about the same.

I would definetely draft Schmidt before Sheets, BUT I would rather have Sheets on my team this year. With Barry out, the Giants will struggle on offense and Schmidt will probably lose a few low scoring games. That was the reason Sheets only won 12 last year, a lack of offensive support.

If you drafted Schmidt in the second round, and I drafted Sheets in the fourth, I got the better value.

If you project that Sheets will produce better in WHIP, ERA, and Ks, and they'll both have about the same win total, then why would you "definitely" draft Schmidt first?
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers