Polanco to start over Utley - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Polanco to start over Utley

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby thehat » Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:54 pm

SHOCKandAWE wrote:Does Philly know how to manage their rookies? First Howard and now Utley! Maybe they should ship this guys across the state to Pittsburgh and let us put them to work. We could use an upgrade at 2b and Wilson could be moved to OF.

Littlefield would probably move Utley behind the plate and put Howard at SS. The man is totally overmatched.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dmville » Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:04 am

At this point I'm half guessin that the Phillies are starting Polanco in hope that he shows himself as a legit starting 2B so they can trade him quickly. A $4 mil utility man is hard to pawn off on other teams.
Dmville
Dmville
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:09 am

Dmville wrote:At this point I'm half guessin that the Phillies are starting Polanco in hope that he shows himself as a legit starting 2B so they can trade him quickly. A $4 mil utility man is hard to pawn off on other teams.
I seriously doubt it. Polanco has already shown that he is a legit starting infielder. Besides if you were Wade would you feel confident with a 2B who can't hit LHP and a gimpy/sucky 3B knowing that your job depends on a winning season. As long as the Phils are trying to win this year, Polanco isn't going anywhere.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 384)

Postby slomo007 » Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:11 am

Dmville wrote:At this point I'm half guessin that the Phillies are starting Polanco in hope that he shows himself as a legit starting 2B so they can trade him quickly. A $4 mil utility man is hard to pawn off on other teams.

I don't think they would have signed him to that contract this past offseason if they didn't want him. I think they truly do value him as a player, I love this board, but you guys are looking at this from too much of a fantasy perspective.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Dmville » Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:01 pm

They offered him arbitration expecting him to refuse. In that case they would have been compensated by whichever team he eventually signed with. They were a bit shocked when he accepted even after he was told he was going to be their utility man.

And wasn't really saying he isn't a legit starting 2B, but it's hard to tell other teams he is if he is riding pine behind Utley.

I'm not really pumping Utley, but seeing how they are going to lose Polanco at year end anyhow unless they want to pay him $5 mil next year, you better get Utley his MLB at bats this season before he is their only choice next year.
Dmville
Dmville
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers