Polanco to start over Utley - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Polanco to start over Utley

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby George_Foreman » Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:58 am

Bloody Nipples wrote:In 267 ABs last year, Utley had 13 HRs, 57 RBI, 36 R, and 4 SB.

In 503 ABs last year, Polanco had 15 HRs, 55 RBI, 74 R, and 7 SB.

I think its clear that Ultey is a much better hitter. I'm not sure about their defense, but I would think that Polanco's defense would have to be almost twice as good as Utley's to make him the starter over Utley.


well, i don't really think 250 ABs necessarily gives us a good look at a player's ability? for one thing, i have no idea where each of those players batted in the lineup for those ABs.

also, polanco batted .300 with a .350 OBP last year, while utely was dismal at .266/.308. utley also managed the match polanco's Ks in half the ABs last season as well, and to top things off, their SLG%s were almost identical.

not only is polanco better suited for the 2-hole than utley he's also just a better all-around hitter.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4351
Joined: 16 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: at Morimoto's, eating $50 worth of sushi

Postby thehat » Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:48 am

I was pretty sure Utley would only get starts vs. righties. He hasn't shown much vs. southpaws. To be honest, I think he's been pretty overrated by the roto-sites and here as well.

Beyond that opinion, here's a fact that has be included in the mix. He isn't a particularly gifted defender. His range is limited, and he's had a problem turning DP's.

From a purely offensive standpoint, I agree he rates a slight (but not huge) edge over Polanco. But on the actual playing field, I believe Polanco is the superior guy.

Utley still has some value, however. He'll see his share of starts vs. righties, and given David Bell's back issues, he could end up playing every day not too far down the road as Polanco might have to see some 3B action.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 3721
Joined: 1 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Fabulous Las Vegas

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:13 am

thehat wrote:I was pretty sure Utley would only get starts vs. righties. He hasn't shown much vs. southpaws. To be honest, I think he's been pretty overrated by the roto-sites and here as well.


Completely agreed - it seems people got caught up in Utley's ability to hit to stop and think if he was going to be an everyday player.

Personally, I dont have him because I wasnt sure how many ABs Polanco would take away - turns out he's taking away quite a lot.
Image
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 5694
Joined: 7 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:21 am

George_Foreman wrote:
Bloody Nipples wrote:In 267 ABs last year, Utley had 13 HRs, 57 RBI, 36 R, and 4 SB.

In 503 ABs last year, Polanco had 15 HRs, 55 RBI, 74 R, and 7 SB.

I think its clear that Ultey is a much better hitter. I'm not sure about their defense, but I would think that Polanco's defense would have to be almost twice as good as Utley's to make him the starter over Utley.


well, i don't really think 250 ABs necessarily gives us a good look at a player's ability? for one thing, i have no idea where each of those players batted in the lineup for those ABs.

also, polanco batted .300 with a .350 OBP last year, while utely was dismal at .266/.308. utley also managed the match polanco's Ks in half the ABs last season as well, and to top things off, their SLG%s were almost identical.

not only is polanco better suited for the 2-hole than utley he's also just a better all-around hitter.
I agree. We aren't talking about fantasy stats here. Utley has some nice potential but Polanco is still the better hitter.
Image
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21583
(Past Year: 353)
Joined: 9 Dec 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: St. Louis

Postby TB13 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:45 am

But based off the spring that Utley had, how could this decision have been made? This smacks of a manager who is already concerned about his own job security and chooses to go with the "safe" move.
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1197
Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Xanadu

Postby OwenTheBlonde » Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:45 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
thehat wrote:I was pretty sure Utley would only get starts vs. righties. He hasn't shown much vs. southpaws. To be honest, I think he's been pretty overrated by the roto-sites and here as well.


Completely agreed - it seems people got caught up in Utley's ability to hit to stop and think if he was going to be an everyday player.

Personally, I dont have him because I wasnt sure how many ABs Polanco would take away - turns out he's taking away quite a lot.


That's what they said. Utley hasn't shown anything against lefties so Polanco will probably get all those starts. Manuel said he'd go with the hottest player though.
Sharp as a butter knife...
OwenTheBlonde
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

User avatar

Posts: 81
Joined: 10 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Football

Postby cheezman » Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:02 am

The Phils are going to play Polanco and hope he gets off to a good start so that they can trade him. The inevitable David Bell injury will happen soon enough too, and Polanco then moves to 3B. I wouldn't be giving up on Utley AT ALL. Asked by a local sports talk show host what he should be excited about this season, the first thing out of GM Ed Wade's mouth was 'Chase Utley'. The Phillies don't want him on the bench for too long at all.
cheezman
Little League Legend
Little League Legend


Posts: 7
Joined: 15 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby George_Foreman » Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:05 am

well who doesn't get pumped about a .300 OBP?? :-D
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4351
Joined: 16 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: at Morimoto's, eating $50 worth of sushi

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:30 am

A couple of things
Utley had a .351 OBP in the minors so I expect it to get better.
As long as Bell is at 3rd and Utley can't hit LHP Polanco won't get traded. Besides no one else wanted to pay him $4 million anyway.

I still don't see why this is such a big deal. Right now Polanco is a better hitter and a better fielder than Utely. Utley has more promise but if the Phils are trying to win this year Polanco should get the most playing time.
Image
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21583
(Past Year: 353)
Joined: 9 Dec 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: St. Louis

Postby SHOCKandAWE » Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:36 am

Does Philly know how to manage their rookies? First Howard and now Utley! Maybe they should ship this guys across the state to Pittsburgh and let us put them to work. We could use an upgrade at 2b and Wilson could be moved to OF.
Image
SHOCKandAWE
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe RankerCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 3522
Joined: 8 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pennsylvania

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: twistedude, unioreimi and 12 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Friday, Jul. 25
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

St. Louis at Chi Cubs
(4:05 pm)
Toronto at NY Yankees
(7:05 pm)
Arizona at Philadelphia
(7:05 pm)
Washington at Cincinnati
(7:10 pm)
Boston at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
San Diego at Atlanta
(7:35 pm)
Oakland at Texas
(8:05 pm)
Chi White Sox at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
NY Mets at Milwaukee
(8:10 pm)
Cleveland at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
Miami at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Pittsburgh at Colorado
(8:40 pm)
Detroit at LA Angels
(10:05 pm)
Baltimore at Seattle
(10:10 pm)
LA Dodgers at San Francisco
(10:15 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact