Polanco to start over Utley - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Polanco to start over Utley

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby mikemcj55 » Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:41 pm

GUH!!!
I love the fact the last minute surprises the managers are throwing to us. Can't we have some warning???

Jeez, I'm aggravated. Sorry just had to vent
mikemcj55
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Bloody Nipples » Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:42 pm

slomo007 wrote:Utley is only 3 years younger than Polanco, I don't see how this is such a bad move. I don't know much about their defense, but I am going to assume that Polanco is the better defender.

If Utley were only 24 years old, then yeah it's a dumb move to stop a youngster like that....but I don't think he's really got the potential that everyone thinks he does. Just my opinion, bring on the insults, Utley backers. :-D

In 267 ABs last year, Utley had 13 HRs, 57 RBI, 36 R, and 4 SB.

In 503 ABs last year, Polanco had 15 HRs, 55 RBI, 74 R, and 7 SB.

I think its clear that Ultey is a much better hitter. I'm not sure about their defense, but I would think that Polanco's defense would have to be almost twice as good as Utley's to make him the starter over Utley.
aka enderwiggin
Bloody Nipples
General Manager
General Manager

Postby slomo007 » Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:44 pm

Bloody Nipples wrote:
slomo007 wrote:Utley is only 3 years younger than Polanco, I don't see how this is such a bad move. I don't know much about their defense, but I am going to assume that Polanco is the better defender.

If Utley were only 24 years old, then yeah it's a dumb move to stop a youngster like that....but I don't think he's really got the potential that everyone thinks he does. Just my opinion, bring on the insults, Utley backers. :-D

In 267 ABs last year, Utley had 13 HRs, 57 RBI, 36 R, and 4 SB.

In 503 ABs last year, Polanco had 15 HRs, 55 RBI, 74 R, and 7 SB.

I think its clear that Ultey is a much better hitter. I'm not sure about their defense, but I would think that Polanco's defense would have to be almost twice as good as Utley's to make him the starter over Utley.

I think you have to look between the stats. Polanco does a good job of the little things, from the few Phillie games I've seen. One of those guys who they just like to have in the lineup, a la Chone Figgins. I think you're looking too much from a fantasy perspective....if there's one thing Philly doesn't need, it's more power. They need a sound defense to make up for their crappy pitching staff IMO. I would be interested to hear some Philly diehards' opinions on this, as I'm sure they know more about Polanco's style than I do.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby studplaya1114 » Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:48 pm

Bloody Nipples wrote:Wow. This is really a surprise to me. Utley has the talent to play everyday, and if he does he should be a top 10 2B. I think this is a big mistake by Phillies management. :-t

Definitely a mistake
I hope they dont make the playoffs now that Utley doesnt start :~(
studplaya1114
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Hawaiian Krush » Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:01 pm

JustAnotherYanksFan wrote:Unfortuantely for Utley owners, his value obviously takes a hit from this. But where does Polanco now rank among second basemen? Although Utley will probably steal time from him, Polanco may end up replacing Bell. Where would people now rank Polanco among second basemen? I would say he's probably somewhere around the level of a guy like Ray Durham or Todd Walker, but I was just curious to see what others think.

I think he and Durham are comparable. Both will not hit 500 AB's...
Durham due to injury, Polanco due to sitting out more often. I think Polanco is more dependable than Durham, but PT will be an issue sometime this season.
You're killing me Smalls!
Hawaiian Krush
College Coach
College Coach

Postby io » Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:09 pm

why did the yankees sign womack instead of polanco? :-?
io
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby studplaya1114 » Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:13 pm

Hawaiian Krush wrote:
JustAnotherYanksFan wrote:Unfortuantely for Utley owners, his value obviously takes a hit from this. But where does Polanco now rank among second basemen? Although Utley will probably steal time from him, Polanco may end up replacing Bell. Where would people now rank Polanco among second basemen? I would say he's probably somewhere around the level of a guy like Ray Durham or Todd Walker, but I was just curious to see what others think.

Durham due to injury, Polanco due to sitting out more often. I think Polanco is more dependable than Durham, but PT will be an issue sometime this season.

Assuming both were healthy and played a full season, Durhams stats would exceed those of Polanco
studplaya1114
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Hawaiian Krush » Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:40 pm

studplaya1114 wrote:
Hawaiian Krush wrote:

Assuming both were healthy and played a full season, Durhams stats would exceed those of Polanco

Agreed, but when was the last time Durham has been healthy all year? He is already entering the season with a bad groin.
You're killing me Smalls!
Hawaiian Krush
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Dmville » Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:54 am

Phils brass has been hinting at this all spring with comments of Polanco's great attitude and he has had a good spring as well. Might also be a question of a $4 Mil utility player.
Dmville
Dmville
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Steve-o » Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:02 am

studplaya1114 wrote:Assuming both were healthy and played a full season, Durhams stats would exceed those of Polanco

I agree. If, IF, he is healthy for a full season he could be a top 5 2B.

The problem is, he hasn't been able to do that the last two years. I am hoping he is now well rested so will be healthy the whole season.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers