Polanco to start over Utley - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Polanco to start over Utley

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby agchris02 » Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:32 pm

WHYYYYYYYYY do this, i happily drafted utly at the end of most my drafts to be my everday 2b, he's talented, done great, and had a spectacular spring -- and better all around than polanco, and now im scrambling to find a 2b for the first week (got womack in one league, bellhorn in another)...but for the 14 and 16 team league, its NOT Looking pretty

i hate larry bowa
I now hate this manager
i hate philly management, they botch everything
Jackalope
agchris02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Secret Avatar » Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:33 pm

"If Utley were only 24 years old, then yeah it's a dumb move to stop a youngster like that....but I don't think he's really got the potential that everyone thinks he does. "

I actually agree with you. I think Polanco is just a better player, period.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby JustAnotherYanksFan » Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:34 pm

Unfortuantely for Utley owners, his value obviously takes a hit from this. But where does Polanco now rank among second basemen? Although Utley will probably steal time from him, Polanco may end up replacing Bell. Where would people now rank Polanco among second basemen? I would say he's probably somewhere around the level of a guy like Ray Durham or Todd Walker, but I was just curious to see what others think.
JustAnotherYanksFan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby NZF » Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:35 pm

The main reason for me that Manuel has gone for Polanco over Utley is the concern over the 2 hole in the batting lineup.

There was just no way Lofton was going to bat there and obviously they see Utley better suited lower down.

Polanco is a great No. 2 hitter so this decision at this time makes more sense to me.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby swyck » Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:35 pm

Utley got 300 ABs last year. I expect that hell get the same and there's still the potential for more.

Polanco can play a lot of spots so if there's injuries anywhere (see 3B) he may play a lot there. 300 ABs is also enough to show your stuff. If he does real well and is deserving of more, then he'll get them.
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)

Postby slomo007 » Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:35 pm

JustAnotherYanksFan wrote:Unfortuantely for Utley owners, his value obviously takes a hit from this. But where does Polanco now rank among second basemen? Although Utley will probably steal time from him, Polanco may end up replacing Bell. Where would people now rank Polanco among second basemen? I would say he's probably somewhere around the level of a guy like Ray Durham or Todd Walker, but I was just curious to see what others think.

That's where I would rank them as well...I see Polanco getting somewhere around 400-450 ABs this season...dependong on if Philly falls out of the race. If they're in the race, I expect him to play everyday.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby DaQ » Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:35 pm

Where's JT? He isn't going to be too happy about this (the "big sleeper" in our league's draft)

I am suprised Utley isn't starting. Polanco really can't go up from where he is right now - he may have reached his zenith.
DaQ
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Tiki Barber's Barber » Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:36 pm

thats not good news :-t

but chone figgins shows his worth once again :-D
Tiki Barber's Barber
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Pedantic » Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:36 pm

Haha, oh, this is good. So much for Utley being a better value pick than Kent. ;-7
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby slomo007 » Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:36 pm

New Zealand Fan wrote:The main reason for me that Manuel has gone for Polanco over Utley is the concern over the 2 hole in the batting lineup.

There was just no way Lofton was going to bat there and obviously they see Utley better suited lower down.

Polanco is a great No. 2 hitter so this decision at this time makes more sense to me.

So do you think Kenny will hit near the bottom? I thought the lineup had Lofton leading off with Rollins second?
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers