Anyone else worried about RJ and the cold weather - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Anyone else worried about RJ and the cold weather

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Anyone else worried about RJ and the cold weather

Postby NZF » Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:06 pm

Something I've just thought about. I'm very high on RJ this season but pitching away from Arizona and the comforts of warm weather in the NL West could be a problem for the old fella.

The cold weather in the East in April / May. How big of a concern is it? I guess we'll find out today.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rickbeil19 » Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:15 pm

It should be interesting hes in his 40s and its harder to get loose in the cold. I think he might walk more batters then normal in the first couple of innings if he gets past that he should hold up alright. He didn't seem very sharp this spring so that might carry over as well, then again he was probably holding back. We will know really soon.
rickbeil19
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby AcidRock23 » Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:19 pm

I was inclined to attribute Maddux's slowish start last year to this factor. There were some games at Wrigley where it was VILE out and they were out playing.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby Strasil42 » Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:24 pm

rickbeil19 wrote:It should be interesting hes in his 40s and its harder to get loose in the cold. I think he might walk more batters then normal in the first couple of innings if he gets past that he should hold up alright. He didn't seem very sharp this spring so that might carry over as well, then again he was probably holding back. We will know really soon.

he wasnt that sharp?? i remember he had a no hitter going into the 6th inning in one game....
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

Postby rickbeil19 » Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:38 pm

Strasil42 wrote:
rickbeil19 wrote:It should be interesting hes in his 40s and its harder to get loose in the cold. I think he might walk more batters then normal in the first couple of innings if he gets past that he should hold up alright. He didn't seem very sharp this spring so that might carry over as well, then again he was probably holding back. We will know really soon.

he wasnt that sharp?? i remember he had a no hitter going into the 6th inning in one game....

Well in the other 10 innings he gave up 6 runs thats not very consistent. He wasn't terrible I'll give you that but hes supposed to be one of the top 2 fantasy pitchers in baseball so I hold him to some pretty high standards.
rickbeil19
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Strasil42 » Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:40 pm

rickbeil19 wrote:
Strasil42 wrote:

Well in the other 10 innings he gave up 6 runs thats not very consistent. He wasn't terrible I'll give you that but hes supposed to be one of the top 2 fantasy pitchers in baseball so I hold him to some pretty high standards.

you do realize its spring training though. i dont even look at those stats for pitchers.

just wait, tonight he will show you why he is being taking in the first round.
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:43 pm

I used my 7th pick on him in a Yahoo Winner, so hopefully that works out. I really hope I don't get bitten by the early pitcher thing again.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby RynMan » Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:03 am

Yeah I think you do have to be concerned regarding the differences in weather. Particularly with his knee being such a concern. One guy who I think will be affected in a big way is David Wells. The warm weather in San Diego really helped him out last year. I wouldnt expect such a positive reaction from his body now he's in Boston.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby George_Foreman » Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:42 am

i wouldn't figure cold would affect wells. i mean, he's very well-insulated...
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby donny23 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:23 am

The only concerns I would have for RJ would be injuries. As far as the weather affecting his body physically in order to stay healthy, sure, it can't help. In terms of if affecting his pitching? nah.
donny23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers