We have our first positive tester! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

We have our first positive tester!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:03 pm

Fireball Express wrote:Ha!
This gives new meaning to the words Dirty Sanchez!

This is true. :-D
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:04 pm

GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby wrveres » Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:06 pm

25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 734)

Re: We have our first positive tester!

Postby The Jury » Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:10 pm

cordscords wrote:Alex Sanchez of the Devil Rays

On ESPNEWS right now

Actually he's not the first positive tester - he's the first positive testee :-D
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bd3521 » Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:11 pm

On plain old ESPN now as well
[url]http://www.footballguys.com/05vbdrevisited.htm[/url]
bd3521
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby thehat » Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:26 pm

What a crock this is. The test was done on March 7, and MLB manages to somehow release this blockbuster hours before the first pitch of the new season.

"See, Congress?", asked Laurel and Hardy (Fehr and Selig). "We have everything under control." Sure you do, guys.

Oh, by the way, this suspension is for ten days...not even ten games, and the guy they choose to hang as the first evildoer is a guy who's already considered one of the biggest dopes in the game by those inside the game. Basically, no one likes Sanchez very much so he's the perfect villain.

Show me a positive test for a superstar and maybe I'll bite. Meanwhile, we'll probably get positive tests for another two or three lower tier individuals over the next ten days.

Meanwhile, the baseball world, including the TV talking heads, will extol the virtues of baseball's "tough new policy." Like I said, what a crock.

Until we see one year suspensions for first time positive testers and lifetime bans for second offenses, the problem will not go away. We live in a world where publicly humiliating oneself is no longer a big deal (anyone watch these celebrity reality programs or the daily TV talkfests?). Anyone who truly believes that a meager ten day suspension will dissuade anyone from ingesting something that might make them millions of dollars is blind to the truth.

I'm a lifelong liberal and staunch Democrat, but I'm 100% behind Senator McCain on this one.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:36 pm

thehat wrote:What a crock this is. The test was done on March 7, and MLB manages to somehow release this blockbuster hours before the first pitch of the new season.

"See, Congress?", asked Laurel and Hardy (Fehr and Selig). "We have everything under control." Sure you do, guys.

Oh, by the way, this suspension is for ten days...not even ten games, and the guy they choose to hang as the first evildoer is a guy who's already considered one of the biggest dopes in the game by those inside the game. Basically, no one likes Sanchez very much so he's the perfect villain.

Show me a positive test for a superstar and maybe I'll bite. Meanwhile, we'll probably get positive tests for another two or three lower tier individuals over the next ten days.

Meanwhile, the baseball world, including the TV talking heads, will extol the virtues of baseball's "tough new policy." Like I said, what a crock.

Until we see one year suspensions for first time positive testers and lifetime bans for second offenses, the problem will not go away. We live in a world where publicly humiliating oneself is no longer a big deal (anyone watch these celebrity reality programs or the daily TV talkfests?). Anyone who truly believes that a meager ten day suspension will dissuade anyone from ingesting something that might make them millions of dollars is blind to the truth.

I'm a lifelong liberal and staunch Democrat, but I'm 100% behind Senator McCain on this one.

Only the bad players are going to get caught. Because they use the cheap detectable stuff, and they are stupid. The superstars have the deals for undetectables.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby BostonBK7 » Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:40 pm

I'm not at all impressed with this "tougher" steroid policy until one of the big fish goes down. This seems like a case in which they test a player who sucks so that they can scare the better players and try to prove to the public they that in fact are taking control of the situation. Obviously Selig/owners/whoever makes money off baseball don't want the superstars to get exposed.
BostonBK7
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:44 pm

BostonBK7 wrote:I'm not at all impressed with this "tougher" steroid policy until one of the big fish goes down. This seems like a case in which they test a player who sucks so that they can scare the better players and try to prove to the public they that in fact are taking control of the situation. Obviously Selig/owners/whoever makes money off baseball don't want the superstars to get exposed.

This isn't the first test. I was reading on Yahoo a bit ago, and Hideki was one of the Yankees selected for random testing. Since I hear nothing, I think he passed.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:53 pm

Heres the link: http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=a ... &type=lgns

Yahoo Sports wrote:Derek Jeter and Hideki Matsui were among a handful of New York Yankees players randomly selected for steroid tests by Major League Baseball, the New York Post reported Friday.

Jason Giambi and Gary Sheffield, who testified in the BALCO grand jury hearings, were not among those tested by members of baseball's drug testing program Thursday at the team's spring training complex in Tampa, Fla., the newspaper reported.

The San Francisco Chronicle reported in December that Giambi admitted before the grand jury that he had used steroids.

In addition to Jeter and Matsui, second baseman Tony Womack, outfielder Bubba Crosby and relievers Paul Quantrill, Bret Prinz and Jason Anderson were also required to provide urine samples. Pitcher Mike Mussina was also on the list of selected players, but had been given the day off by manager Joe Torre.

``It's not a comfortable feeling, but what can you do?'' Jeter told the newspaper.

According to the new drug testing agreement between the players and owners, players can be tested at any time during the season and can be tested more than once.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers