New to fantasy ball and hopelessly addicted. Please help. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

New to fantasy ball and hopelessly addicted. Please help.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

New to fantasy ball and hopelessly addicted. Please help.

Postby FlawedReasoning » Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:51 am

Hey,

I'm ridiculously new to fantasy baseball, and it's just too much fun and too exciting... I'm pretty much hooked forever, and the CAFE is the best site I've found so far.

I was wondering if any of you could help me out with some advice on my roster. I sure would appreciate any help you could give me, and I'd be glad to offer whatever little scraps of coherence I could try to assemble regarding your team, as well.

I'm playing in a Yahoo 14-team H2H 5x5 league, and I have a feeling only a few of the players actually have any idea what is going on (read: I can grab all kinds of sleepers) I feel pretty confident in my lineup, but I know my SP is weak... I'm not sure who to start, who to bench, who to kick. Like I said, any advice you could offer would sure be appreciated. This lineup is sort of a combination of drafting and plenty of post-draft waiver maneuvers. As soon as Penny goes DL on Yahoo, I might pick up Brazoban.

C M. Barrett
1B M. Teixeira
2B T. Wigginton
3B C. Jones
SS Á. Berroa
IF K. Greene
LF H. Matsui
CF C. Figgins
RF I. Suzuki
OF C. Crisp
UTIL J. Reed
bn K. Griffey
bn Mondesi
bn Ál. González

SP B. Sheets
SP Od. Pérez
SP G. Meche
RP J. Nathan
RP D. Kolb
P B. Ryan
P R. Drese
bn R. Wolf
bn B. Penny

Thanks for your time! ;-)
FlawedReasoning
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby JDD » Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:06 am

Ugh...

I would love to know who you picked in rounds five thru eight, assuming you took these four guys first:

1B M. Teixeira

RF I. Suzuki

SP B. Sheets

RP J. Nathan

I think from round five to eight you stumbled, but considering your league is 14 teams strong, I think you will do OK.

It will take courage to deal one of your closers for a strong starting pitcher, but you can do it...

Your infield is fine, considering the size of your league, but i think the lack of another strong outfielder and a back end to your rotation will probably keep you in the middle of the pack.
--JDD
JDD
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Big Papi » Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:09 am

For your first draft, I would say you did pretty decent.

Lets start with the IF: You've got a pretty decent one, but have some question marks. Playing berroa/greene/wigginton could potentially be boom or bust. All three are shaky to start IMO, and I would try to upgrade one of the three. Having tex is great to go along with chipper though.

The OF: Solid, matsui/ichiro is a awesome combo, figgins is supposed to do well this year. Nice work here.

The util: I would play Griffey till he gets hurt, in which case look at the wire and see who the hot bat is.

The SP: Nice 1-2 with Sheets/Od Perez. Perez will net the wins that Sheets will miss out on hopefully. The number 3 starter I'm not liking. Meche has played well and potentially be good, but I would rather have him as a 4 or 5 starter at this point in time. Try and upgrade that.

The RP: Nice, you'll get the saves. Though Kolb won't get you K's, if you could swing a deal for a closer that gets some Ks as well, that'd be a nice upgrade.

Overall pretty decent for being a first timer. Look to improve that IF, and get a better number 3, you'll be in good shape.
The Big Papi
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby FlawedReasoning » Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:32 am

Hey,

Thanks a lot for the advice! This is just exactly the sort of stuff that I needed to hear.

C. Jones, J. Nathan, H. Matsui, D. Kolb, and C. Figgins came in rounds 4-8... Don't know if that's good or bad, but there it is.

I am definitely working on getting another solid starter. Definitely. Trade or waiver, that's my first priority. Anyway, it will be nice when Penny's healthy again (if).

I know there are a lot of question marks in my infield, and I was sort of hoping to use Figgins to put out at least the first of the fires if nothing else turns up. I probably got carried away with speculation and blind faith in potential.... Chalk it up to rookie fever.

Also, the advice on Griffey is very much appreciated... I really wasn't sure what to do with him. But if I put him in the util spot, should I start Crisp or Reed in the OF spot? I guess right now I'm leaning towards starting Crisp and just watching how Reed does, but what do you think?
FlawedReasoning
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby JDD » Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:49 am

:-?

Here we have it.

Chipper has not been a fourth rounder (or better) in some time.

And Figgins was taken too high too.

That said, look for a starting pitcher, either on the wire or trade with someone who is desperate for saves.
--JDD
JDD
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team