Aquino/Lyon closer issue - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Aquino/Lyon closer issue

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Aquino/Lyon closer issue

Postby YardBirds » Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:39 am

Question concerning RP and closers. In my draft I missed an early closer run and wound up wth BJ Ryan as my sole closer. I picked up Rincon/Otsuka/Gordon for my bullpen, while having Sheets, Zambrano, Halladay... benching Arroyo, Millwood, Thomson. My offense is stacked, and I am good in every other category except for saves... I have heard news about Aquino possibly not closing for Ari b/c of elbow soreness, which i was gonna pick him up on waivers tommorow, but now do you think i would be better served in picking up Lyon and waiting to see if Aquino busts... or pick up Aquino until i know more about who will get the job ?

FYI its a h2h league
YardBirds
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby YardBirds » Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:11 am

Guess my real question is should i grab Lyons before he is hot and bank that Aquino doesnt get better, or should I go with trusty Aquino tiill he messes up or should I just pick up a 4th MR namely M. Gonzalez and just have one real closer ?
YardBirds
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby djack909 » Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:13 am

pick-up brazoban. Forget about Gonzo
djack909
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby YardBirds » Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:25 am

Brazoban will only pitch first two weeks maybe, no way he takes Gagne's job. I will pick him up for cheap early saves, but that still leaves my closer roll empty when Gagne returns, do u think i should take Aquino/Lyon off waivers before other land them, which leaves me stuck with Ryan and 3 MR
YardBirds
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby YardBirds » Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:37 am

Someone just told me that I should trade away BJ Ryan, and since its h2h, just give up on saves and pick up M. Gonzo to lower whip, era and give me SOs... is this wise. Or should I just grab Brazo/Lyon/Aquino and hope they pull me a decent amount of saves... im counting on 10 from each of the MR = 30, same from Ryan... = 60 and if Lyon/Aquino can get me 19-20... that would at least keep me competitive. What do u suggest my strategy should be?
YardBirds
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Pedantic » Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:49 am

I would be inclined to keep Ryan unless you get an offer you can't refuse. I don't see you upgrading the rest of your squad enough by trading Ryan to make it worth it. There will always be saves to be had on the wire. Just pay attention and grab the pitchers that will be getting saves and I think you'll be fine.
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Madison » Sun Apr 03, 2005 4:00 am

Pedantic wrote:I would be inclined to keep Ryan unless you get an offer you can't refuse. I don't see you upgrading the rest of your squad enough by trading Ryan to make it worth it. There will always be saves to be had on the wire. Just pay attention and grab the pitchers that will be getting saves and I think you'll be fine.

Agreed. ;-D

Never punt a catagory and saves are always availiable on the wire. ;-D

I'd cut someone (probably a middle reliever) to get Brazoban and I'd make another cut (probably another middle reliever) to get Aquino.

That's provided holds are not a scoring catagory anyway.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby sammyfan711 » Sun Apr 03, 2005 4:16 am

Anyone else waiting around for Lyon to clear waivers so you don't have to burn priority? Any minute now...
sammyfan711
College Coach
College Coach

Postby rainman23 » Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:37 pm

YardBirds wrote:Someone just told me that I should trade away BJ Ryan, and since its h2h, just give up on saves and pick up M. Gonzo to lower whip, era and give me SOs... is this wise. Or should I just grab Brazo/Lyon/Aquino and hope they pull me a decent amount of saves... im counting on 10 from each of the MR = 30, same from Ryan... = 60 and if Lyon/Aquino can get me 19-20... that would at least keep me competitive. What do u suggest my strategy should be?

You can go either way here. I don't like to ever punt a category, but it's worth investigating what you could get from Ryan. In the mean time, while you're still thinking about it, you should definitely be snagging the guys that are available. I didn't notice whether your league does Holds...if not, dropping setup guys for even temporary closers should be a no-brainer.

One thing about your math above, though -- 10 saves from your MR's? Each? You'll be doing very well to get 10 COMBINED from these guys.
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby YardBirds » Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:25 pm

As of right now my staff has become: Sheets, Zam, Halla - Ryan, Aquino (Lyon isnt available till tommorow cuz i waivered him, so I can get word on whether Aquino will continue to close) then my bullpen is Gordon, Rincon, Otsuka to lower era, whip, and give me SOs (no my league doesnt count holds) with Arroyo and Thomson on the bench. If Aquino goes down, I may pick up Brazoban or Lyon for cheap early saves and hopefully will be able to trade for a more automatic closer in a week or so.
YardBirds
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers