Best Rookie third basemen? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Best Rookie third basemen?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Best Rookie third basemen?

Postby Tim » Fri Apr 05, 2002 6:00 pm

which rookie 3rd basemen will put up the best numbers? Burroughs, Ensberg, or Blalock? On my fantasy team, i currently have Ensberg, but im not sure if he will have a better year then Burroughs, i think Blalock will have the worst year out of these three, well who do you think will be the best?
Tim

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Arlo » Fri Apr 05, 2002 6:34 pm

Welcome avoard, Tim. Tough question, especially if you're looking at just this year. I actually do think highly of Blalock; hopefully, Texas will be patient with him if he struggles early on. It's certainly an amazing 3b class. Don't forget Hinske, either. He may not get as much press as the others, but he looks like the real deal.

Anyway, I think the question of who will have the best year depends on your needs (stop evading the question, Arlo ;-) ). If you're looking for the lowest risk, go with Burroughs. He's the safest bet to get playing time all year. If you need one of these guys as your everyday starter, go with him. Don't expect too much power, though.

In terms of potential, I like Blalock. If you have room on the bench and can afford to take a risk, I think he has the highest upside.

Ensberg lies somewhere in between those two, in terms of both risk and reward.

Hinske is the biggest sleeper. If he's still available in your league, trading Ensberg and picking up Hinske is an option worth considering.

If I had to choose just one, I'd probably go with Blalock, but that's more a matter of personal taste than anything else. Opinion on this question is all over the map at this point; I assume guys like cwebb or Dan, who both aren't as eager to take risks as I am, will think differently.

At any rate, no matter which of these guys you have, be patient. Their "objective" values, if such a thing exists, are roughly equal now (possibly with a slight edge to Burroughs), and you presumably picked up who you have for a reason. If Ensberg fits your style of play, hang on to him - he certainly has the talent to turn in some very solid numbers.

Not sure if this helps; hope some more folks chime in on this.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Bender » Tue Apr 09, 2002 11:12 am

I'd say Burroughs is the best, not that I am an expert, but he is obviously on a worse team then Blalock.

I have both on my team but I think Hank will be going very soon, hopefully so I can get Brian Giles!
Bender

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Return to Baseball Leftovers