The Passion of the Christ - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

The Passion of the Christ

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby CubsFan7724 » Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:11 am

While I'm sure its a fine movie, I'd rather not go to a movie to spend 2 and some of the most depressing hours of my life. I mean, who wants to see Jesus get beaten on for extended periods of time?
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slomo007 » Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:22 am

CubsFan7724 wrote:While I'm sure its a fine movie, I'd rather not go to a movie to spend 2 and some of the most depressing hours of my life. I mean, who wants to see Jesus get beaten on for extended periods of time?

I don't know if it's the idea of me wanting to see it, so much as the idea of me needing to see it. It is without a doubt the most influential movie of all time IMO. I don't know how anyone (who believes in Jesus as the Savior) can watch that movie and not come away a changed person. Great job, Mel. ;-D
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby curious_george_43545 » Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:36 am

slomo007 wrote:
CubsFan7724 wrote:While I'm sure its a fine movie, I'd rather not go to a movie to spend 2 and some of the most depressing hours of my life. I mean, who wants to see Jesus get beaten on for extended periods of time?

I don't know if it's the idea of me wanting to see it, so much as the idea of me needing to see it. It is without a doubt the most influential movie of all time IMO. I don't know how anyone (who believes in Jesus as the Savior) can watch that movie and not come away a changed person. Great job, Mel. ;-D
I don't feel the need to watch it though, I don't believe we should as christians put so much onto the death of Christ and focus more on his deeds and teachings.
Go Braves!
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby eftda » Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:40 am

Jesus was a real man, and the event (up to the resurrection, I think) can be found in the Roman History. One could say that the Jews or early Western Christians made Jesus up, but there are historical documents that a man named Jesus died on a cross. The Passion of the Christ has more historical accuracy that most films that are based on 'ture' events.
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Tavish » Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:52 am

wkelly91 wrote:I think the point of the movie is not in the details but in the graphic depiction of the suffering of Jesus the Christ.

Thats a very difficult thing to balance though. With that sort of thougtline Mel could have added in just about anything to make Jesus's suffering more dramatic and it wouldn't really matter. By deviating from the stories in the Bible I think the movie loses much of its impact.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby free » Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:13 pm

curious_george_43545 wrote:
slomo007 wrote:

I don't feel the need to watch it though, I don't believe we should as christians put so much onto the death of Christ and focus more on his deeds and teachings.

it's important to reflect on his death and resurrection as a christian. after all the cross is the central theme of christianity. also, he commanded us to take communion (often) in remembrance of him which represents his shed blood and body which was broken for us.
Member #3 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club
free
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Irish » Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:22 pm

Yeah, Jesus was the best Magician ever. Even better then Copperfield. When Copperfield dies we will all mourn his death for years, so why not Jesus. He's no Houdini, but he was working with lesser materials.
Irish
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BostonBK7 » Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:52 pm

slomo007 wrote:

Without his death, there would be no point in focusing in his deeds and teachings because no one would have a chance of being saved and having a relationship with God. The death of Jesus is the single most important event of his life.
BostonBK7
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby eftda » Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:55 pm

BostonBK7 wrote:
slomo007 wrote:

Without his death, there would be no point in focusing in his deeds and teachings because no one would have a chance of being saved and having a relationship with God. The death of Jesus is the single most important event of his life.

According to the western chrisitan reglion, wouldn't his resurrection be the most important? :-?
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby acsguitar » Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:03 pm

Irish wrote:Yeah, Jesus was the best Magician ever. Even better then Copperfield. When Copperfield dies we will all mourn his death for years, so why not Jesus. He's no Houdini, but he was working with lesser materials.

hahah....sweet
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk