Sin City? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Sin City?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby jkpigskin » Sun Apr 03, 2005 3:29 pm

yea this movie looks real good

jessica alba is freakin hot!! :-°

and the whole black and white thing with some color is awesome.... this weekends #1 ;-D

best keeper team ever!
jkpigskin
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby so0perspam » Sun Apr 03, 2005 3:33 pm

jkpigskin wrote:yea this movie looks real good

jessica alba is freakin hot!! :-°

and the whole black and white thing with some color is awesome.... this weekends #1 ;-D

No doubt.

:-L
ImageImage
so0perspam
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby so0perspam » Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:11 pm

1.THE PREDISPOSITION: LET’S GET THIS OUT TO YOU GUYS STRAIGHT; I’VE NEVER READ THE FRANK MILLER’S “SINCITY” COMIC BEFORE, AND TRUTHFULLY, AFTER THIS MOVIE, I’M AFRAID TO.THE FIRST TIME I HEARD ABOUT “SINCITY” WAS FROM THE MOVIE TEASER.EXQUISITELY PACKED WITH JUST A TASTE OF THE EXTREMELY ORIGINAL STYLE OF ART DIRECTION AND WITH AN OBVIOUS “ALL-FAVORABLE” CAST, IN MY MIND, “SINCITY” WAS ALREADY NUDGED AT THE TOP OF MY MUST-SEES.I WAS PUMPED.I EXPECTED NOTHING LESS THAN THE MOST ORIGINAL AND ARTISTIC FILM TO HIT MY EYES IN YEARS.COINCIDENTALLY, I HAD ALSO BEEN GETTING A CLEAR PERCEPTION OF WHAT TYPE OF FILMMAKER THAT ROBERT RODRIGUEZ REALLY WAS.FOR THE PAST WEEK, MY SPANISH TEACHER, WHO IS AWESOME, BY THE WAY, HAD DECIDED TO SHOW US RODRIGUEZ’S PRIMARY BREAK-THROUGH THAT TRULY PUT HIM ON THE MAP, “EL MARIACHI”, A TRULY INDEPENDENT FILM MADE OFF OF ONLY $7,000 DOLLARS WITH A CAST THAT FEATURED RODRIGUEZ’S OWN FAMILY MEMBERS.RODRIGUEZ HAS A GIFT: HE HAS THE VISUAL CREATIVENESS THAT HAS THE ABILITY TO TRANSFER HIS DREAMS INTO HIS FILMS.THE IDEA WITHIN “EL MARIACHI” ITSELF IS A READY DEMONSTRATION OF HIS GENIUS.HOWEVER, WATCHING THIS FILM, I NOTICED ONE MAJOR FLAW, THE SCRIPT…WAS DISTASTEFUL AND BLAND.WHEN I ENTERED THE THEATER TO WATCHSINCITY THREE THINGS WERE IN MY MIND: RODRIGUEZ’S VISUAL GENIUS, THE HORRENDOUS SCRIPT FROM “EL MARIACHI”, AND A NOSTALGIC SENSATION OF WATCHING A 1950’S FILM.

2.THE EXPERIENCE: FRANK MILLER’S/ROBERT RODRIGUEZ’S “SINCITY” BEGINS WITH A BANG AND ENDS WITH A BANG.“IN-BETWEEN”, I MUST CONFESS, TO ME WAS ONLY A SOUVENIR OF THE BEGINNING AND A MIRAGE OF THE MUCH DESIRED FUTURE CONCLUSION OF THIS EXTREMELY ORIGINAL FILM.THE OPENING SCENE TRANSCENDED MUCH OF THE FILMMAKING THAT I HAVE EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE WITHIN A SPAN OF 2 MINUTES, IT LEFT AN IMPRESSION, A STAMP OF POTENTIAL THAT I WAS HOPING TO RESIDE THROUGHOUT THE REST OF THE FILM.YET, BY THE MIDDLE OF THE FILM, I FELT THAT I HAD ENTERED A “DEAD-END”.FORTUNATELY, I WAS HOPEFUL, I KNEW THAT SOMEHOW, A MOVIE WITH SO MUCH POTENTIAL, COULD NEVER END WITHOUT LEAVING AS STRONG OF AN IMPRESSION AS IT BEGAN.AND IN THOSE LAST FEW MINUTES OF THE FILM, THE FAITH I RETAINED WAS FULLY REIMBURSED!THE LAST 15 MINUTES OF THE FILM DEMONSTRATED WHY THIS FILM WILL NOT ONLY BE REMEMBERED FOR RODRIGUEZ’S VISIONARY EXCELLENCE, BUT FOR FRANK MILLER’S GIFT OF CONVEYING A STORY THAT TRULY IS COMPREHENSIVELY FULL OF SUBSTANCE AND MOST IMPORTANTLY HAS MEANING.BUT! ENOUGH OF THE GOOD STUFF, HERE’S THE SINS THAT THIS FILM COMMITTED:

a.RODRIGUEZ’S FILM IS BASED ON THREE GRAPHIC NOVELS DEVELOPED BY FRANK MILLER.EACH ONE OF THESE THREE TELLS A DIFFERENT STORY THAT TAKES PLACE IN THIS “SINCITY”.YOU MAY HAVE WONDERED, WHY DID I FIND THE MID-SECTION OF THIS FILM MOSTLY TIRESOME?THE ANSWER IS, RODRIGUEZ WAS WORKING WITH A CLOCK HERE, HE HAD TO SOMEHOW FIT THREE STORIES INTO ONE WITHIN A FRAME OF 2 HOURS OR SO.THAT, IS TOUGH, AND UNFORTUNATELY, SHOULDN’T HAVE BEEN UNDERTAKEN.WHAT RODRIGUEZ SHOULD HAVE DONE WAS CREATED THREE SEPARATE FILMS FOR EACH OF MILLER’S ENGROSSING NOVELS.

b.RODRIGUEZ’S HECTIC ATTEMPT TO COMPACT THREE STORIES INTO ONE MOVIE RESULTED IN MANY UNDESIRED SIDE-EFFECTS.FIRST OF ALL, TO ME, THERE IS NO FORMULA IN MAKING A GREAT FILM.HOWEVER, THERE IS ONE THING THAT ANY FILM MUST HAVE; A FILM MUST HAVE “SILENCE”.OTHERS MAY DISAGREE, BUT I KNOW FOR A FACT THAT THE AUDIENCE NEEDS TIME TO COMPREHEND WHAT HAS JUST HAPPENED AND TRULY TAKE IN THE PAIN AND SUFFERING THAT EACH CHARACTER IS EXPERIENCING.IN “SINCITY” THIS WAS IMPOSSIBLE.BECAUSE THIS WAS A “THREE-IN-ONE” PACKAGE, THERE WAS NO TIME WITHIN THE ENTIRE FILM WHERE THE AUDIENCE COULD REGISTER THE SADNESS AND ANGUISH.ANOTHER IMPORTANT ASPECT OF SILENCES IS THE FACT THAT THEY ARE, FRANKLY, A RESPITE TO THE CHAOS THAT IS BEING DEVELOPED THROUGH A STORY, A TIME FOR THE AUDIENCE TO THINK, TO TRULY MARVEL/WONDER AND “WHAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN NEXT” AND PONDER.IF RODRIGUEZ HAD MADE THREE SEPARATE FILMS, I AM POSITIVE A SILENCE OR TWO WITHIN EACH FILM WOULD HAVE CREATED A MORE DRAMATIC EXPERIENCE, JUST AS IF ONE WERE TO READ EACH OF MILLER’S NOVEL AND EVER SO OFTEN “STOP” “THINK” “REGISTER” “ENJOY” EVERYTHING THAT WAS UNFOLDING.

c.“SINCITY” POSSESSES A SCRIPT OF THE DEVIL.*OUCH* THAT MAY SOUND WORSE THAN IT REALLY IS, BUT REMEMBER, “EL MARIACHI” WAS A FORESHADOWING OF WHAT “SINCITY’S” SCREENPLAY MIGHT BE.HOWEVER, I ALSO SAW THIS failing FROM ANOTHER PERSPECTIVE.WHAT SEEMS TO BE THE VOGUE NOW IS FOR FILMS THAT ARE BASED OF COMICS TO STAY AS TRUTHFUL AND LOYAL AS POSSIBLE TO THE ORIGINAL CREATION WHERE IT CAME FROM.NEEDLESS TO SAY, I BELIEVE THAT RODRIGUEZ HAD UNFORTUNATELY FALLEN INTO A TRAP.WHILE RIGOROUSLY TRYING TO STAY FAITHFUL TO MILLER’S NOVELS, HE LOST TRACK OF ADDING THE “REALISTIC” FACTOR TO THE SCREENPLAY.MANY WOULD SAY THAT THE REASON FOR THIS BLAND AND TRAGICALLY-DRY SCRIPT WAS TO INCREASE THE EFFECT OF A TRUE “COMIC/HERO” EXPERIENCE.HOWEVER, I STRONGLY DISAGREE.I FEEL THAT RODRIGUEZ COULD HAVE JUST AS ADDED A REALISTIC TOUCH TO THE SCREENPLAY WITHOUT LOSING ANY FEELINGS OF THE SENSATION OF READING A COMIC.AND AGAIN, WITH EVERY SIN COMES CONSEQUENCES.BECAUSE THE SCRIPT WAS SUCH A FAITHFUL ADAPTATION OF THE NOVELS THEMSELVES, THIS TAINTED THE ACTING PERFORMANCE OF THIS ALL-STAR CAST.FURTHERMORE, IT WAS EVEN HARDER FOR THE AUDIENCE, INCLUDING ME, TO FEEL FOR EACH OF THE CHARACTERS.THE SCREENPLAY HAD CREATED A BARRIER BETWEEN THE AUDIENCE AND THE CHARACTERS OF “SINCITY”.

3.THE RECAP: ULTIMATELY, “SINCITY” WAS A BREAKTHROUGH; NOT ONLY IN THE LEVEL OF FILMMAKING THAT TECHNOLOGY CAN ESTABLISH, BUT ALSO A BREAKTHROUGH IN WHAT THE HUMAN MIND CAN ENGENDER.THE COLLABORATION BETWEEN FRANK MILLER AND ROBERT RODRIGUEZ WAS A TREAT: UTTER GENIUS.ALTHOUGH THIS FILM MAY HAVE HAD SEVERAL SEVERE FLAWS, THE OUTWEIGHING FACTOR IS THE BEAUTY, CREATIVITY, AND MYSTIFYING EFFECT THAT “SINCITY” CREATES FOR THE AUDIENCE.THIS FILM WAS RAW.IF A PSYCHO-KILLER HAD TO WATCH THIS FILM HE’D BE SURPRISED.“SINCITY” DIGS DEEP INTO THE INHERENTLY DARK CORNERS OF OUR SOULS, AND IN A WAY, BY REACHING THESE SINFUL SECTIONS, “SINCITY” RELEASED MUCH OF THE TENSION, ANXIETY, AND UNSETTLING FEELINGS THAT WE ALL CARRY WITHIN OUR LIVES.

MY EVALUATION: 9.2
ImageImage
so0perspam
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Amazinz » Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:22 pm

He definitely has vision and talent although he has put out some real crappers too. El Mariachi is a good film considering the budget although Desperado, the sequal, is better and the third one, Once Upon A Time In Mexico was utter crap except for Depp's performance. The faculty is a good flick for the genre and I'm sure he wants to forget the Spy Kids series. ;-)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:04 pm

I saw it last night and I was pretty disappointed.

The main thing is that it really isn't a movie but 3 separate short stories. Unlike a Tarantino or Altman flick these stories don't come together in an interesting and satisfying way at the end. The 3 stories have nothing to do with each other so it really wasn't a movie.

The violence was way over the top but it was done in a comic book fashion like Kill Bill. For my money I much prefer Tarantino, most of it stems from being unsatisfied by the lack of a story.

But great production values, very slick. The first story with Rourke was the best, the other stories were not as good.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)

Postby Mookie4ever » Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:11 pm

Oh, one last thing. If you want to see this movie, go with the guys. This is the farthest thing in the world from a date movie. Do not under any circumstances go with a date...unless you want to break up with her. In that case giggle madly through the movie and blurt out things like "Yeah, cut off Frodo's legs man. Cut up that hobbit!" and she is sure to dump you.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)

Postby Amazinz » Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:15 pm

QT actually directed one of the Del Toro scenes from what I've read.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:30 am

I liked it, but it was extremely violent - much more than Kill Bill IMO.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to General Talk