Advice for a first-timer about my team - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Advice for a first-timer about my team

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Advice for a first-timer about my team

Postby The Loveable Losers » Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:02 am

12 team roto 5x5 league (all players)
This was my absolute first time drafting. I'm pretty happy with the results though I feel I may have taken too many pitchers at points and not enough options in the infield fill-in area. I used the mock draft program to help me out with suggestions too.

C J. Kendall (Oak - C)
1B A. Huff (TB - 1B,3B,OF)
2B C. Figgins (LAA - 2B,3B,SS,OF)
3B H. Blalock (Tex - 3B)
SS K. Greene (SD - SS)
OF C. Crawford (TB - OF)
OF V. Wells (Tor - OF)
OF M. Ordóñez (Det - OF)
Util L. Walker (StL - OF)
BN M. Lieberthal (Phi - C)
BN G. Jenkins (Mil - OF)

SP R. Johnson (NYY - SP)
SP J. Peavy (SD - SP)
RP B. Wagner (Phi - RP)
RP B. Ryan (Bal - RP)
P S. Shields (LAA - RP)
P T. Gordon (NYY - RP)
P J. Rincón (Min - RP)
BN G. Aquino (Ari - RP)
BN S. Kazmir (TB - SP)
BN V. Zambrano (NYM - SP)

The projections from the Mock Draft program have me in the top 2 (possibly third in one or two categories) in Runs, SB, Ave, K's, WHIP, and ERA. I'm about middle of the road give or take in W's and SV's. I'm woefully lacking in HR's and RBI's (think I'm 10th out of 12 in both).

First question is should I be looking for any type of trades...I'm really happy with the way things turned out but I don't mind getting advice from the more experienced people here about how I might make things better.

Second question is should I drop any of my bench pitchers to pick up a player that can fill in at 1B and 2B (or at least at 2B) to free Chone up to spot start at different positions?

Lastly, I'm not very familiar with the rules about IP. Putting it a bit more specifically, I don't know what to expect about those rules and therefore how to manage all of these pitchers. :) We have 1250 innings pitched max by the way. I was considering starting Kazmir on Tuesday April 5th against Toronto. That brings up two questions...is this a bad idea from an innings/pitching staff optimization standpoint (since my 2 main starters are RJ and Peavy)? And is it too early to throw Kazmir out there from an experience standpoint? Same questions go for V Zambrano when his starts come up.

Lastly, any general advice would be great! Especially with the day-to-day management of a fantasy team.

Thanks a ton!
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mad_Merc » Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:04 am

I think you hit the nail on the head. With strengths and weaknesses.
Mad_Merc Beginner
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby The Loveable Losers » Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:09 am

Would you stand pat and just accept the weaknesses or look into trying to pick up someone to plug a weakness? I just don't see anyone that I can afford to unload though that would draw enough interest to plug a hole.

The only thoughts I had is with my average being so high I could afford to pick up some lousy average slugger to start on occassion (can't think of any good ones though that would start ahead of the guys I have) or to pick up a closer whose ratios aren't the best since my ERA and WHIP are so good.

I guess there's always the option to watch the news like a hawk and try to pick up a temporary closer for saves that way. :)
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Bloody Nipples » Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:17 am

I love your offense, but your starters are not very deep. RJ and Peavy are a great 1-2, but after that you have nobody. I do like the middle-relief strategy, but I think you need more than 4 starters on your team. Maybe try to package Kendall and Aquino for another starter or something like that ;-D
aka enderwiggin
Bloody Nipples
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Loveable Losers » Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:36 am

I took a big risk with that...I'm banking on V. Zambrano or Kazmir having a year that's much better than where I drafted them (20 and 21). We'll see on that front but I'm holding out hope - especially with Zambrano. He should benefit from the Mets offense and I'm so far ahead of the pack on whip and era thanks to the middle relief corps and the 2 strong starters that I can afford if he blows up a bit. I'm really bothered by the pop in this lineup though. I'm thinking I should start Geoff Jenkins quite a bit in favorable situations to try and drive up the HR totals. Not that he's a HR stud but he's the only option I really have for that :)
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby FantasyBeast » Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:53 pm

The innings pitched is my big question too to all the vets out there. If holds are not a stat in a league,than are guys like Rincon and Otsuka less valuable?

You only got a couple position guys on your bench. Do you just plan on playing your starters each game?? Im assuming than you only need one bench guy per position. A backup OF,IF,and perhaps C.

I like your rotation. Love your relief. Lineup is sweet.
Aint following no footsteps,Im making my own.

Eminem.
FantasyBeast
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby The Loveable Losers » Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:31 am

I'm actually picking up a 2B (Mueller most likely) as a FA and dropping V. Zambrano. That will free me up to spot start Chone Figgins at any of the available positions on off-days for my starting position players.

I'll also toss Aquino in off of the bench any time I think the DBacks might have a shot at getting him a save :) I'm sure they won't come often but every little bit helps.

Lastly, I've attempted to pull off a trade for a saves guy. I've got an owner in an interesting position where he absolutely doesn't need the saves (has 5 closers with solid jobs and is projecting to almost double up on 2nd place in saves). I've offered him Rincon for Cordero (think that's the name...TEX closer). I doubt he'll bite on it and truth be told it doesn't hurt me if he doesn't. It would actually help both of our teams if he pulled the trigger (he'd have his ratios, wins, and k's helped out and not lose any points in saves) but he'll most likely hold out for a better deal.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team