John Paul - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

John Paul

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

John Paul

Postby free » Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:14 am

My prayers go out to a very fine man ;-D This also brings a question to mind for me about what exactly is the role or function of the pope? What does he represent to the catholic faith?
Member #3 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club
free
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slomo007 » Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:32 am

His official role is the bishop of Rome's diocese I believe. It's been a long time since grade school, but I'm pretty sure that's what his official title is.

As a Catholic, I will say that there are a lot of misconceptions about what the Pope means to us. Many people think we actually pray TO the Pope, but that's not it. We're asking him to pray for us to God, there's a fine line of difference there...but it's a big one.

I respect him completely, but I think it's time the Catholic Church had a new leader (actually, it's been time since the whole sex-abuse thing). Not because I think he had any sort of hand in that (he didn't), but more because it would prove to the world and to existing Priests that the Church is serious about getting back on track. Catholicism has almost become a laughing stock in today's age, it's a shame that it takes the Pope's imminent death for Catholics to get some positive media coverage for a change (if you can call it positive). I must say, however, that the media coverage has been outstanding from what I've seen...and has done nothing but admire and respect him, the Church, and Catholics.

He lived a miraculous life and has done more for the Church than most Popes have ever done. He will always be in my prayers.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:42 am

Plindsey88 wrote:The Pope is THE priest... He is Christ's emissary on Earth... He is the head of the most influential religion on the planet... He is the head of state of a nation (the Vatican City).... He is perhaps one of the most influential people on the face of the planet... His decisions impact the religious, political, economic, social, etc. beliefs of hundreds of millions of people worldwide... Historically speaking no other position in the history of civilization has held greater influence or political "pull." The Catholic Church is one of the, if not the, richest organizations on the face of the planet, controlling more money than most large countries... They also are the keepers of countless priceless artistic and scientific treasures... They guard over perhaps the most expansive, important library on the face of the planet... There is information passed on from Pope to Pope to which no other person on the face of the Planet is privvy.... The Pope is the commander and chief of one of the most well trained security forces on the planet Earth... To hundreds of millions of people what the Pope says takes precedence over what their own country's leader says, their spouse says, international law says, etc... etc...

To call the Pope merely a priest would be like calling the President of the United States merely a government worker...

this is from one of the guys at the football side. i think he did a great job explaining.
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby SHOCKandAWE » Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:36 am

I think he got this from the DaVinci Code!
SHOCKandAWE
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:05 am

SHOCKandAWE wrote:I think he got this from the DaVinci Code!

wow you may be right. i read da vinci code a while back though and i probably couldnt place it.
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby LBJackal » Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:36 am

I don't think that's from the DaVinci code. That paragraph seems to be praising him, while the DaVinci Code spends hundreds of pages invalidating Catholicism. That book, which is being made into a movie will do a lot more harm to the religion than the abuse scandals, IMO. The abuse is more of a black eye. The book is opening people's eyes to the whole idea of Catholicism being a sham.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby slomo007 » Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:59 am

LBJackal wrote:I don't think that's from the DaVinci code. That paragraph seems to be praising him, while the DaVinci Code spends hundreds of pages invalidating Catholicism. That book, which is being made into a movie will do a lot more harm to the religion than the abuse scandals, IMO. The abuse is more of a black eye. The book is opening people's eyes to the whole idea of Catholicism being a sham.

I don't know much about the book, never taken the time to read it to be honest, but I do know that it's very highly criticized and there are numerous books which dispute the few relevant points it makes. It's largely fiction from what I understand. Don't put too much faith in the book (pun intended).
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby LBJackal » Sat Apr 02, 2005 4:21 am

Yeah I know a lot of the book is fiction, but the "facts" Brown explains the book are said to be true. Brown claims to be a Christian, which seems very contradictory with the way he wrote the book, but maybe it's to appeal to religious people who he wants to make money off of.

Also, you'd probably really enjoy the book. That, and Angels & Demons (also by him, and same premise), are two of the most entertaining books I've ever read. Most of my family is very religious, but they all enjoyed the book. I'm sure some of the info isn't true, and it has received a lot of flack from the catholic church, but I'd bet that it's no less accurate than the Bible.

Also there are numerous books that refute we landed on the moon, or that the holocaust ever happened. It's no surprise that many people ahve tried to make money off of "disproving" the DaVinci Code seeing as though the book is so popular.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:37 am

Either way, whether he bows down graciously soon or hangs on for a while, he has to be the toughest guy that I have ever seen. He has overcome more than most of us will ever see. :,-(
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Rkiivs » Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:36 am

Hey, my two favorite Beatles!

Oh. The pope?

Sorry, my mistake.
Rkiivs Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Innovative Member

Next