Why is Clemens getting NO respect in pre-season rankings? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why is Clemens getting NO respect in pre-season rankings?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby LBJackal » Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:20 pm

nuggets wrote:
LBJackal wrote:He's still way over-rated IMO. Look at his stats before 2004. Not that great. Having the short porch in LF will only hurt him. I'll let somebody else take the risk. It's not even a health risk to me (although that's part of it) it's that his performance in 2002 and 2003 does not come close to warranting his 2005 draft position. Then you factor in the park he's playing in.... I'll stay away.

Even at 87?

87 is reasonable. I wouldn't consider him before #70 and that is assuming the first 70 picks are also my top 70 ranked played. That's not very likely.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby nuggets » Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:26 pm

LBJackal wrote: that is assuming the first 70 picks are also my top 70 ranked played. That's not very likely.

I certianly agree.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby CubsFan7724 » Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:29 pm

Yoda wrote:Yeah he REALLY slowed down a lot in 04 all the way through the playoffs.

Last year was the first time he had an ERA under 3 in 6 years. It was also the first time he had a WHIP under 1.20 in 5. Don't expect him to repeat last years numbers.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby klvrdude » Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:39 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:
Yoda wrote:Yeah he REALLY slowed down a lot in 04 all the way through the playoffs.

Last year was the first time he had an ERA under 3 in 6 years. It was also the first time he had a WHIP under 1.20 in 5. Don't expect him to repeat last years numbers.

Good point. I think his honeymoon period in Houston is over.
klvrdude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby nuggets » Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:28 pm

klvrdude wrote:
CubsFan7724 wrote:

Good point. I think his honeymoon period in Houston is over.

Uhhh I think YODA was being a little sarcastic. Does anyone remember how Clemens finished the season? I'll remind you:

Sept '04
6 GS, 4 W, 0 L, 42.0 IP (7IP average), 12 BB, 46 K, 2.57 ERA, 0.93 WHIP, .182 BAA

;-D ;-D ;-D Does it get any better than that? Oh and his home ERA, WHIP and BAA kills his away for the whole season. Even more evidence that he can succeed @ home?
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby nuggets » Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:35 pm

klvrdude wrote:SIGNS OF SLOWING DOWN....

He had a pulled groin in ST. Could it be the start of many DL stints this year? Also it wouldn't surprise me if they did a 'Shaq' with him to reduce his playing time so he'll be healthy assuming they make another playoff run.

Besides the reduced power in the Stro's line-up may cost him a few wins this year.

Last year they did move a few of his starts around to keep him fresh. Doensn't he have a clause in his contract that allows him to choose which road trips he goes on and where he pitches?
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby toofunnyy » Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:08 pm

He's 42. If you're taking him in the first 4-5 rounds you're insane. He's been hurting all ST, and when he's pitched, he's gotten ROCKED. Houston is far worse this year, if he gets 14 wins it will be a miracle.
toofunnyy Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:10 pm

toofunnyy wrote:He's 42. If you're taking him in the first 4-5 rounds you're insane. He's been hurting all ST, and when he's pitched, he's gotten ROCKED. Houston is far worse this year, if he gets 14 wins it will be a miracle.
I wouldn't say insane and I don't put any stock in ST stats but toofunnyy nailed it on the head. He's 42 and the Astros are much worse off this year.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Postby ajgnydc722 » Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:13 pm

klvrdude wrote:SIGNS OF SLOWING DOWN....

He had a pulled groin in ST. Could it be the start of many DL stints this year? Also it wouldn't surprise me if they did a 'Shaq' with him to reduce his playing time so he'll be healthy assuming they make another playoff run.

Besides the reduced power in the Stro's line-up may cost him a few wins this year.

I'm pretty sure it was a hammy and not his groin but regardless, it's a valid point.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby JTWood » Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:01 am

People are down on him because he's old.

I took the chance. I'm actually most concerned about the offense behind him - not his age.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers