Wil Ledezma - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Wil Ledezma

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby hybrid » Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:09 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:I know Im a homer, but just to put it into perspective, Bonderman has a lower ceiling than Sleeth and Verlander. It could get ugly.

Uh, I disagree with that comment a lot. Sleeth has nice potential but he really doesn't project as an ace. His first season didn't show much and I'd be likely to call him a #3 at the moment unless he can improve a good amount. Verlander has huge potential, but unless he can contain control I doubt it will turn into an ace or top of the roation guy.

Bonderman is a year younger then Sleeth and just 3 months older then Verlander, I don't understand how you can say he has a lower ceiling then those two.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Members Only Jackets » Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:53 pm

Willfredo Ledezma is my Deep Sleeper--I discovered him in my AL Only league last year and did some research on the guy...He's got the tools ....you could do a lot worse especially in keeper leagues!

rotoworld:

Wilfredo Ledezma shut out the Yankees for six innings today to end the spring on a very positive note.
Ledezma was also terrific against the Cardinals in his previous start. If the Tigers had any quality alternatives, his rotation spot would have been in jeopardy a week ago. Now, the team's fifth starter is back looking like a 2005 breakthrough candidate.
Members Only Jackets
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 2)

Postby baseballboy » Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:05 pm

Don't get caught in the trap - this guy is a bum :-t
baseballboy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:08 pm

hybrid wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:I know Im a homer, but just to put it into perspective, Bonderman has a lower ceiling than Sleeth and Verlander. It could get ugly.

Uh, I disagree with that comment a lot. Sleeth has nice potential but he really doesn't project as an ace. His first season didn't show much and I'd be likely to call him a #3 at the moment unless he can improve a good amount. Verlander has huge potential, but unless he can contain control I doubt it will turn into an ace or top of the roation guy.

Bonderman is a year younger then Sleeth and just 3 months older then Verlander, I don't understand how you can say he has a lower ceiling then those two.
I agree. I have Sleeth in a keeper so I have kept a close eye on him. His ceiling seems to be a #2 SP. Bonderman's ceiling is much higher.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 455)

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:12 pm

hybrid wrote:

You know, I probably am a bit brainwashed from reading the local stuff. I had a subscription to scouts.com,, but that ended a good couple months ago, so my memory is a bit hazy on their writeup of those guys, but I thought they were both projected to have higher ceilings.

I could have sworn both Sleeth and Bonderman were projected #2s and Verlander a 1 - cant remember the others.

I know Sleeth took a step back by looking at the stats, but blowing through single A and moving up to AA halfway through his first yr really isnt all negative. He did get lit up in AA, but again, correct me if Im wrong, isnt that a hitters division anyway?

BTW - if you have access to recent writeups on these guys or you yourself would give your thoughts, Id appreciate it - there is suprisingly little recent news on the group I listed - Baugh included.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby thehat » Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:20 am

hybrid wrote:

I was going to comment on this trio, but you already nailed it, Hybrid. As usual.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:16 pm

Id still really like to see some reports on the young Tiger pitchers from some of you guys that specialize in minors and prospects. As I mentioned before, my subscription to scouts.com ran out a few months back, and I want to get some other opinions of our young pitchers other than what can be found around Detroit.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby hybrid » Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:22 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Id still really like to see some reports on the young Tiger pitchers from some of you guys that specialize in minors and prospects. As I mentioned before, my subscription to scouts.com ran out a few months back, and I want to get some other opinions of our young pitchers other than what can be found around Detroit.

No problem Cornbread, I will sometime today. I would now but I'm in a hurry to leave, hope you can wait :-b
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby mcqfesijiba » Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:24 pm

Last year, they were rebuilding Sleeth's mechanics. They didn't like what they saw and thought he needed some work. His ceiling is lower than Bonderman or Verlander, but assuming everything works out, he should still be a fine Major League pitcher.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby hybrid » Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:53 pm

Here is some info for you Cornbread. If I missed something you'd like to know about, ask and I'll do my best to answer.

Sleeth: He has two above average pitches, his fastball usually sits Low 90's and his slider mid 80's. His curve is an inconsistent pitch right now, though it can be an average pitch. Sleeth like a lot of pitchers needs to improve his change up, which right now is below average.

Kyle pitched well in High A last year which was a good sign, but the way he fell apart in AA I wonder about his stuff and pitchability. As a 22 year old IMO he should of had an easier adjustement, but he didn't really ever show any consistency or control (14 hr's in 80IP isn't good either). He could rebound and show to be a #2 pitcher, but he doesn't does project as an ace, but with the way he showed at AA I wouldn't be comfortable calling him above a #3 at the moment. There are scouts that still like him, I'm just a bit skeptical now.

Like someone else mentioned, they are trying to correct a flaw in his delivery. Supposedly he has taken a step forward, but then in his final outing he threw poorly.

Verlander: The guy is really all about potential. He has two plus offerings, a mid 90's fastball that can go higher and a great "hammer" curve. The big problem that will follow his whole career it seems is his control of those pitches. The Tigers are going to have to try and fix his delivery, as he doesn't stride enough which makes him finish too upright in his delivery.

Right now he is a pretty big question mark as to how he will do. People are divided on if he will eventually end up as a relief pitcher due to his lack of control and not really having a change up. It should be interesting to see how he fairs this year, it could be the start of him full filling his promise or becoming a RP like some believe.

On a side note, he looks to be starting in High A, which will give me a chance to go see him pitch some.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers