Getting autographs before a game - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Cards and Memorabilia

Getting autographs before a game

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Getting autographs before a game

Postby jtmarcus » Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:43 pm

I know a good way to get autographs is before a game as the players arrive at the stadium through the fence to their parking lot. I have done this before in Cleveland (use to get Kenny Lofton and Jim Thome regularly). I now live in Chicago and have a sales job that takes me to Milwaukee, Minneapolis, and St. Louis. Does anyone know what time the players usually arrive for a game? In Cleveland, we use to show up about 3-4 hours before game time and hang out along the street by the player entrance/parking lot. Any advise or stories would be appreciated.
jtmarcus
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:37 pm

I've always just made sure to get to the game about an hour and a half before game time. Typically the best success I've had at getting autographs is by using a baseball card in a soft sleeve inside of a hard plastic sleeve. The player signs the hard plastic sleeve and everything's great. I figure it shows them that I care about their card and don't want it damaged, so they tend to sign them quite often during warmups. :-)

Good luck in the autograph hunt! ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby eftda » Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:53 pm

I am lucky enough to know a guy who has special tix, and he gives me 1-2 sets (4 tix) a year. The section is right next to the dugout, and no one other than those who have the tix are allowed in the zone. I just reach down and get the autographs as they come out the tunnel, and into the dugout. I am very respectfull, saying: Please, thankyou, and my favorite "Future Hall Of Famer". I also take off my Giants hat, and have on a shirt that says "Baseball is life." I go an hour and half before games, and I always get a few. I don't care who signs, because its enough for me that they stopped by and took the time to be with the fans. I've gotten Tony Gwyne, Orlando Cepada, J.T Snow, Jeff Kent a few times, and the best thing ever, was back in 1998, Brent Mayne tossed me his bat that craked in the game. I aslo have gotten a few game used balls that were tossed into the stands, but I've yet to get a foul ball.
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:57 pm

eftda wrote:Orlando Cepada

That's pretty good considering he was retired when you were born. :-D
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby eftda » Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:14 pm

Lofunzo wrote:

It was the strangest thing. I wasn't a huge fan of Basebll in 1999, so i just threw him the ball. He was signing autographs so I just threw him the ball. He signed it and tossed it back. My Dad asked me who signed it, but the both of us had no idea. The guy who sat behind me said it was Orlando Cepada, and my responce was "Ah, crap, I wanted someone good" :-D . Took me awhile to find out who he was.
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:21 pm

eftda wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:

It was the strangest thing. I wasn't a huge fan of Basebll in 1999, so i just threw him the ball. He was signing autographs so I just threw him the ball. He signed it and tossed it back. My Dad asked me who signed it, but the both of us had no idea. The guy who sat behind me said it was Orlando Cepada, and my responce was "Ah, crap, I wanted someone good" :-D . Took me awhile to find out who he was.

Either way, nice deal. ;-D
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby GriffeyReturns » Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:54 pm

I havent been to a game in years but I know I got almost 100% of my autographs during spring training. Veterans and rookies sign during spring training. I would go near the bullpen about an hour and a half before the game and get some sigs and then hang out near the dugout for a while until the game started. Whatever you do don't be obnoxious, lot's of people think that screaming for 30 minutes will get them an autograph. If the player doesn't sign the first 3 times you ask him, he's not going to sign, end of story, let them do their business.

Also, I noticed that some teams had totally different attitudes towards signing. The Phillies would always sign(even the stars). The Yankees would never sign(I did get M. Rivera to sign and I got Paul O'Neil to toss me a foul ball).

Still, I could never get signatures at regular season games, I got Randy Johnson's last signature while he was on the Mariners but that's about it.

Also, a big tip here, be sure to get a good fine tip marker or something you know won't fade. I got a bunch of sigs with a ballpoint pen and they had faded by the time I had gotten back from vacation
GriffeyReturns Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby jtmarcus » Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:23 pm

An update for everyone. I tried my trick last week while on business in Minneapolis. I showed up at the player entrance to the stadium at 2:00 PM for a 7:05 PM start. Most of the players arrived between 2:30 and 3:30. I was able to get the following autographs in about a 1 1/2 hour time: Torii Hunter, Shannon Stewart, Kyle Lohse, Mike Cuddyer, Jason Bartlett, Luis Rivas, Joe Nathan, Juan Castro, Dave Gassner, and Mike Redmond. There were about 20 people at the entrance which had a metal barrier that kept the fans seperated from the players, and most players had no problem signing whatever anyone wanted them to. They were happy to sign for all fans. I was told by some of the crowd that players usually arrive 5 hours before the game start time. It worked for me in Cleveland and now in Minneapolis. Guess I answered my own question!!
jtmarcus
T-Ball Trainer

Postby Madison » Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:09 pm

jtmarcus wrote:An update for everyone. I tried my trick last week while on business in Minneapolis. I showed up at the player entrance to the stadium at 2:00 PM for a 7:05 PM start. Most of the players arrived between 2:30 and 3:30. I was able to get the following autographs in about a 1 1/2 hour time: Torii Hunter, Shannon Stewart, Kyle Lohse, Mike Cuddyer, Jason Bartlett, Luis Rivas, Joe Nathan, Juan Castro, Dave Gassner, and Mike Redmond. There were about 20 people at the entrance which had a metal barrier that kept the fans seperated from the players, and most players had no problem signing whatever anyone wanted them to. They were happy to sign for all fans. I was told by some of the crowd that players usually arrive 5 hours before the game start time. It worked for me in Cleveland and now in Minneapolis. Guess I answered my own question!!

Congrats! ;-D That's a good list of autographs! ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Return to Baseball Cards and Memorabilia