What 2 pitchers would you keep? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What 2 pitchers would you keep?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What 2 pitchers would you keep?

Postby yaz8 » Fri Dec 20, 2002 10:07 am

I am in a league that has a $260 draft limit. I have 3 pitchers on my roster which I can keep only 2 for the 2003 season. Which 2 pitchers would you kep and why? Here are the pitchers and their values.

Josh Beckett $10
Woody Williams $11
Russ Ortiz $14

Thanks
yaz8
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Arlo » Fri Dec 20, 2002 10:24 am

I'd keep Ortiz and Beckett. Ortiz has nasty stuff, and going to the Braves won't hurt. If anything, working with a new coaching staff might bring him closer to his full potential.

Beckett is a risk - a very large risk, in fact - but his ceiling is as high as any pitcher not named Randy currently playing in the majors. If you don't like taking risks with your keepers, drop him, but I think the possible reward justifies taking a chance.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby kashikis » Fri Dec 20, 2002 5:10 pm

I agree with Arlo here

Burkett is young and has a great upside to him but is a risk. But i think you should take the gamble only because he is cheaper than Williams and could pay out big time for you over the next few years.

Williams is really on the downside of his career in my mind and by the time i think Burkett would come around into a solid pitcher this should become more evident. I think you have to take advantage of the possibility of Burkett panning out simply because of youth on his side and that in my mind is what keeper leagues are all about, takin that huge risk on a young ace and reaping the benefits of your decision in the future.
kashikis

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby jay » Fri Dec 20, 2002 9:57 pm

how long can you keep these guys? The longer the better (and I mean much better) for burkett. He's the former best prospect in baseball and hasn't shown anything to say he's unworthy. as for teh 2003 season, here's my list:
1. Russ Ortiz
2. Josh Beckett
3. Woody Williams
So, I agree. Beckett is a no brainer if you can keep him for a ong period of time.
Zack Greinke...the next Greg Maddux. LOOK IT UP!
For what it's worth.
jay
College Coach
College Coach

Postby HOOTIE » Wed Jan 01, 2003 3:19 am

I would keep Beckett and Ortiz. But i must say, going to Braves imo, will hurt Ortiz. Hes leaving the best pitchers park in bb, where he posted a 3/12 home/road hr split. Plus his so rate is decreasing. Shandler thinks a 4 era is in order.
HOOTIE

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Return to Baseball Leftovers