Rowand, Is He Being Hyped Too Much? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rowand, Is He Being Hyped Too Much?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby raiders_umpire » Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:29 am

rowand is my biggest stay away player in baseball this year.... i do not want him on any of my teams this year period..... in fact i would be suprised if he is still starting come july.... i think he has bust all over him this year
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:32 am

I don't understand the hate. Rowand was very consistent and very good in 04. He finally got his chance and he made the best out of it. In his previous seasons, he had done relatively well in limited PT. I predict something like .280, 20, 85, 85, 20 from him. As long as he stays healthy, he will be a very solid player.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Benkei » Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:48 am

I think he's a solid investment considering his upside is that he'll be a 5 tool threat. Project last years numbers over a full season and he's a bona fide rotisserie star, the equivalent of a second or third rounder, so why not take a chance at round ten or so?

Do any of you haters have any basis for believing he'll be a bust other than you just think so? He's been hitting the crap out of the ball this spring, by the way, for whatever that's worth . . .
Benkei
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 7)

Postby RC » Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:17 am

Rowand has notoriously been weak against Righties. I had him last year after I lost Maggs to injury.

That's the main reason he couldn't crack the line-up until injuries opened up a spot for him.

So he's not necessarily consistent. He's definitely a question mark. Don't overpay, but if he's around late, he's worth a gamble, given his upside and the fact that the Sox seem to be more committed to the run game.

RC
Like my Avatar?
RC
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Yoda » Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:18 am

Benkei wrote:I think he's a solid investment considering his upside is that he'll be a 5 tool threat. Project last years numbers over a full season and he's a bona fide rotisserie star, the equivalent of a second or third rounder, so why not take a chance at round ten or so?

Do any of you haters have any basis for believing he'll be a bust other than you just think so? He's been hitting the crap out of the ball this spring, by the way, for whatever that's worth . . .

While I do think he was a little over his head in 04, there is no reason to think that he will completely tank. He will run a lot more this year and that ball park yielded more HRs than ever before. I wouldn't call him a top 20 OF but 20-20 with a good AVG is a no brainer.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

which is it?

Postby Benkei » Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:06 pm

2 people need to get their stories straight here

SoxWillNeverWinAgain wrote:He's consistant. He hits righties and lefties equally the same ( .300 avg).

RC wrote:Rowand has notoriously been weak against Righties.

Discuss
Benkei
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 7)

Postby Yoda » Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:34 pm

I think people are discounting him due to the fact that he's arrived so late. But he was a key player in my $ league as one of the most consistent players.

I think you can argue that 04 may have been his career year but still, 20-15 is almost automatic if he doesn't hurt himself.

Some places are projecting him to be a top 15-20 OF which I probably don't agree with right now but he has the tools to be up there for certain. If you can get him in the middle rounds, he should be an excellent power/speed guy to have on your team.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby SoxWillNeverWinAgain » Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:41 pm

Vs lefties in '03 Rowand hit .338
vs Righties in '03 (in only 92 abs) .250

vs lefties in '04 Rowand hit .302
vs Righties in '04 .315

Solid improvement, you can claim him as a bust all you want.. I'm very excited about his potential.. Let's see what happens during the year.
SoxWillNeverWinAgain
College Coach
College Coach

Postby tlef316 » Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:11 pm

ive avoided rowand as well. im surprised a few experts have been so high on him. the guy's upside is not that high. not on any of my teams, and i have alot of teams
welcome home andy
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Bubonic Chronic » Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:33 pm

RC wrote:That's the main reason he couldn't crack the line-up until injuries opened up a spot for him.RC

Uhh, the main reason he couldn't crack the lineup was because he drove his dirt bike off a cliff before the 2003 season and broke some ribs and his left shoulder blade. As a result, the Sox sent him to Charlotte to start the 2003 season.

Since getting promoted on June 10, 2003 after recovering from his injury, he's been one of the most consistent hitters in baseball. He led all American League center fielders last year with 24 home runs. His only deficiency was RBI's, which shouldn't be an issue with his move to the middle of the order.

His numbers have consistently improved each of the last three years. He's still young. Will he hit like he did last year? I don't know, but I don't understand the skepticism toward him.
Bubonic Chronic
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers