Comedian Mitch Hedberg dies of a Heart Attack - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Comedian Mitch Hedberg dies of a Heart Attack

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Comedian Mitch Hedberg dies of a Heart Attack

Postby LBJackal » Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:58 pm

I've only heard a few of his routines but he was a pretty funny guy. Although he was into a lot of drugs from what I hear. I only heard of him because of somebody here at the Cafe so I figured people would like to know.

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/11278099.htm

Even family and close friends had a hard time understanding Mitch Hedberg, a St. Paul native who ran away from home and, despite living a scattershot life, became a runaway success as a standup comic.

Hedberg, whose space-case persona was as much part of his soul as it was his act, died early Wednesday morning in a New Jersey hotel room. He was 37. A medical examiner hasn't issued findings, but Hedberg's family was told he suffered a heart attack. His wife was with him.

After graduating St. Paul's Harding High School, Hedberg rose through the ranks at Minneapolis' Acme Comedy Co., and caught his big break through a Comedy Central special. He made several appearances on David Letterman's and Conan O'Brien's shows, made more Comedy Central appearances and produced two comedy CDs. His big dream, to have an HBO comedy special, was in the works.

Hedberg's one-liners, dished off in a spacy staccato, were based on absurdist, random observations. His long, dirty blond hair harkened to the image of a 1970s stoner, and his success occurred in light of, in spite of and even because of his quarter-century affair with drugs and alcohol.

"I'd probably be living in Costa Rica, eating oranges on the beach, if I wasn't doing comedy," he told the Pioneer Press last September.

"There's no two ways about — having a son in entertainment industry is challenging," his mother, Mary Hedberg, said Thursday.

She recalls being at work when her oldest daughter called in a panic to tell her Mitch had packed some brown paper bags and left home. Mary Hedberg couldn't get home in time to either see him off or talk him out of it.

"That was heartbreaking for us, but he kept in contact with us. He called as soon as the car broke down," she said. "You know, it was like putting him through college, even though he wasn't at college. But when he got his first break, we were just so thrilled for him, because we wanted him to know he was O.K., and to have that self-confidence that he could do what he wanted to do."

Louis Lee, owner of the Acme, said Hedberg not only became the Twin Cities' first breakout comedian of the 1990s but, along with Lewis Black, helped shape a national resurgence in standup comedy.

"It's very difficult for one-liner comedians to get an audience going, but when Mitch worked here, you could see the kids call out the punchline," Lee said. "Mitch made the whole comedy community realize how important good writing is. It's a huge loss."

Unlike many comics, Hedberg was demonstrably thankful to his fans. Not long ago, a group of college students in Florida, speaking with Hedberg backstage after a show, mentioned how hot their dorm room was. Hedberg surprised them the next morning by showing up to their dorm with a new air conditioner.

"Mitch presented a lot of challenges, but a lot of opportunities for traveling that we wouldn't have otherwise had, and he had a heart of gold," his mother said. "He was a brilliant comic and a wonderful person."

Dates haven't been set, but eventual visitation and services will be at Wulff Family Services, Woodlane Mortuary, in Woodbury.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Kingctb27 » Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:12 pm

RIP :,-(
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Champion

Postby SuptownSpartans34 » Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:39 pm

Damnit, I love this guy he is hilarious.

I have his CD and it had my laughin the whole way through, I am very saddened. :,-(
Woo Badgers
SuptownSpartans34
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:44 pm

I read it was a heroin overdose.

For those who don't know him, here are a few quotes:

I don't have a girlfriend. But I do know a woman who'd be mad at me for saying that.

I got my hair highlighted, because I felt some strands were more important than others.

I type a 101 words a minute. But it's in my own language.

My lucky number is four billion. That doesn't come in real handy when you're gambling. "Come on, four billion! Damn. Seven. I need more dice."

An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You would never see an "Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order" sign, just "Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience."

Someone handed me a picture and said, "This is a picture of me when I was younger." Every picture of you is when you were younger. "...Here's a picture of me when I'm older." Where'd you get that camera man?

I wish I could play little league now. I'd be way better than before.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby JTWood » Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:10 pm

Ohhh... Oh man... Mitch was awesome. A truly unique personality and view of the world. My jaw dropped when I saw this thread.

RIP :,-( :,-(
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby blankman » Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:25 pm

He was really unique and damn funny, sad to see him go :,-(
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby DieHardCubbie » Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:25 am

One of the funniest comics I can remember seeing... ;-D

Safe passages Mitch.... :,-(
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby CrazyPooja90 » Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:36 am

Jeez, Mitch was HILLARIOUS. This is really sad. He was unlike any other comics. I remember watching him really late night on Comedy Central and laughing hysterially.
"I'm going to meet the greatest umpire of all, and he knows I'm innocent."

-Shoeless Joe Jackson
CrazyPooja90
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby curious_george_43545 » Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:38 am

8-o :,-( Mitch was a great comic...RIP
Go Braves!
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby pomplona's finest » Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:03 am

:,-(

RIP
[URL=http://www.imageshack.us]Image[/URL]

AKA IRON CHEF

Member #5 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
pomplona's finest
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Next

Return to General Talk