Start 5 of my 6 SP on 1 day? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Start 5 of my 6 SP on 1 day?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Start 5 of my 6 SP on 1 day?

Postby Happy Homer » Fri May 09, 2003 4:00 am

This saturday 5 of my 6 starters are pitching, what do you think, should I start all of them? My league counts Era, Whip, Walks, Strikeouts. All help greatly appreciated, thanks!

SP Brown, Kevin (SP, RP-LA) SPRPPBench 7 3 0 11 35 2.84 1.04 ^@Mon

SP Wood, Kerry (SP-ChC) SPPBench 7 4 0 23 55 3.00 1.31 ^StL

SP Williams, Woody (SP-StL) SPPBench 6 4 0 7 26 1.76 0.95 ^@ChC

P Meche, Gil (SP-Sea) SPPBench 6 4 0 10 32 2.43 1.16 ^CWS

P Wolf, Randy (SP-Phi) SPPBench 7 4 0 19 38 3.53 1.22 ^Hou
Happy Homer
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Greenrider » Fri May 09, 2003 4:15 am

I'd think twice about starting Wolf unless you really need Ks. Houston has been rocking the house offensively in the past week.
Greenrider
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Madison » Fri May 09, 2003 5:02 am

Wolf is the only one that I would bench. Houston can do some damage when they are hot.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby jdh » Fri May 09, 2003 10:00 am

As long as he stays healthy, I would probably start Brown almost every time out. Wood is a top 10 pitcher and a K stud, so you pretty much need to start him regardless of the matchup, except maybe at Coors. Woody Williams, when he is healthy, is almost always an excellent start. In the last three years, he has given up more than 3 earned runs only 3 times, which gives you an idea of how safe he usually is. Meche might be a bit of a shaky start, because he is pretty unproven and the White Sox offense is too good not to break out in a big day one of these days. You don't want it to happen to one of your pitchers. I would let Wolf start, since the game is in Philly, at a pitcher's park and the Astros offense tends to be far less potent away from the juice box and its tiny dimensions.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Big Kahuna » Fri May 09, 2003 2:07 pm

My usual thought is not to start too many SPs on the same day because the odds of all of them doing well seem long. In your case, you also have two guys going against each other. Since it appears that your league doesn't count wins or losses, this might not matter so much. Do you expect a pitchers' duel at Wrigley between Wood and Williams, or will the potent Cards' offense prevail over Kerry?

I agree with starting Brown, but according to Rototimes, he's pitching Friday against Claudio Vargas, not Saturday against Vazquez (all the more reason to start him).

Meche is going again against Colon (he won that rain-shortened duel last Sunday; will Colon balance out in his second try?) but he's been good.

The Wolf question is the toughest because Wade Miller's been less than stellar, as has the Phillies' offense.

So many questions, such tough decisions. That's why you make the big bucks as manager. I'd start everyone but Wolf and hope the wind is blowing in at Wrigley.
Big Kahuna

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby EricF » Fri May 09, 2003 2:49 pm

Big Kahuna, why would the odds of all SP's doing well on the same day be any different from the odds of all SP's doing well when the starts are spread over several days? Unless you're superstitious (a famous baseball attribute, but probably not right).
EricF
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Big Kahuna » Fri May 09, 2003 2:58 pm

Eric:

I'm no mathematician, so maybe it is just superstition, but it seems there's more disaster than success when all of your guys go at once. It's like the pick five lotto: each of your numbers has a better chance of coming in one at a time on five successive days than all five coming in on the same day. I had three guys go the other day (Millwood, Ainsworth, and Lohse): one loss, and two no-decisions. ERA around 4, WHIP around 1.6. Call me crazy, but . . . .
Big Kahuna

Postby tjhksig » Fri May 09, 2003 4:07 pm

It's not like lotto; lotto is a game of chance, baseball is not. I'd start em' all but Wolf for the reasons previously stated. If you bench a few of them you run the risk of losing those categories b/c you'll have no more starts the rest of the week.
tjhksig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby HOOTIE » Fri May 09, 2003 4:43 pm

Start all 5. Their odds dont change by how many go in same day.
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Guest » Mon May 12, 2003 1:00 pm

real baseball might not be like lotto, but fantasy baseball is.

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers