Byung-Hyun Kim - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Byung-Hyun Kim

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby crapshooter » Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:40 am

CBS Sportsline is a great place to run your league. But do NOT put any weight at all in their predicitions. They are about as lame as they could possibly be.
You don't have to like 'em to own 'em!!!!
crapshooter
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Boyakasha » Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:50 am

Just thought I'd add this bit of info from the Rocky Mountain News

Pitching coach Bob Apodaca said Thursday he feels Kim, a right-hander, might be the answer to the Rockies' lingering question about a closer.

Kim will join the team at Albuquerque today, and Apodaca did not rule out Kim being the closer for the opener Monday against the San Diego Padres at Coors Field.

"We have acquired a guy who has had tremendous success in that role (of a closer)," Apodaca said. "I envision him in that position. It's hard to say when it will be.

"If he had a normal spring training amount of work, I would possibly say I don't care what part of the lineup is coming up in the ninth, it's his call (Monday).

"I might be in the realm of saying that anyway."
Boyakasha
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby George_Foreman » Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:37 am

this guy used to be one of the elite closers, and he's still only 26. i really don't see what's so absurd about risking a FA pickup to add what could potentially be a high-K, 30+ save guy. granted, if i were to pick him up, i'd probably leave him on my bench until he showed me something.... ;-D
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby wrveres » Sat Apr 02, 2005 4:13 am

The game took on a new complexion in the bottom of the frame when newly acquired reliever Byung-Hyun Kim made his Rockies debut. The first five batters Kim faced all reached base and scored. Kim faced nine batters overall, giving up eight runs, six earned, and recording only one out before Allan Simpson came in to try his hand.

''if it doesn't get any better than tonight, I should just retire.''

BYK

I'll repeat what I said on page one

BYK is DONE!

"Finished"
"Through"
"Washed-up"
"Kaput"
"Cooked"
"Out to pasture"
"At the end of his rope"
"Past his prime"

done! :-)
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 754)

Re: Byung-Hyun Kim

Postby Jmon » Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:11 am

wrveres wrote:
He pitches in Colorado ..

why are people picking him up?
I am sooo confused. :-o

I picked him up in a head to head Yahoo league that starts 5 SP and only 2 RP. Kim is listed as an SP by Yahoo and could be valuable as we can change players on a day to day basis. Plugging him in might get me a win in the saves catagory.
Jmon
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby mrider » Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:44 am

Kim is not worth picking up.
mrider
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bd3521 » Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:47 am

Kim to start in middle relief Updated 4/1/05
Kim, Byung-Hyun RP COL
News: The Denver Post reports that the Rockies will ease Byung-Hyun Kim into the closer's role by starting him out in the bullpen because of his limited spring activity thus far. The team wants to build his arm strength. Analysis: Chin-Hui Tsao won't lose his closer job due to injury, but he is still a few weeks away. Brian Fuentes will likely begin the season as the team's closer until one of the other pitcher's are ready.

Kim has rocky Rockies debut Updated 4/2/05
Kim, Byung-Hyun RP COL
News: Byung-Hyun Kim allowed eight runs on six hits and he retired only one batter against Texas Friday. "It's definitely not the way I wanted to make a first impression, but at the same time it's good to be part of this team," he said through an translator. Analysis: Kim is only worth adding in larger NL-only leagues since he might get some saves opportunities once he gets his head straight.

Can't wait for the Colorado debut in Coors. 10 earned runs ;-D
[url]http://www.footballguys.com/05vbdrevisited.htm[/url]
bd3521
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Pacman » Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:50 am

wrveres wrote:this bafoon is actually recommending that you pick him up.
That is horrible horiible advice.

By David Gonos
CBS Senior Fantasy Writer

Kim's arrival in Colorado is good and bad news. Obviously, the chance to close again for any major-league team makes him a worthy pickup, but Coors Field tends to rattle any pitcher's cage, especially one with an already shaky recent history. Grab him if you can, without giving up anyone of consequence, but consider trading him to the first guy who says, "Ooooh, you beat me to him!"

First off, Kim has shown nothing in the last two years that would lead me to believe he's going to pitch well in the near future.

Playing devil's advoacte, that CBS guy might just be making the point that if you have room, snag him, and if he happens to get an early save or two, you might have a pigeon in your league willing to trade for him.

But I'm not going near him.
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby thedukeorsino » Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:10 pm

I can't believe people actually picked up Kim.... Did they think he was still closing in Arizona or something?????

The guy has NOTHING. I have not seen any minor prospects brought up to pitch in the bigs for a game get hit harder than him in the last season.

His problems in Boston started when we first got him. He would consistently get hitters to a 3-2 count, and then instead of throwing his hard, sinking two-seamer (this was when he still had velocity), he would throw a bad changeup, or a slider off the plate to try and strike the guy out. All this resulted in was HRs from the changes and walks from the sliders. The guy just didn't have the guts to throw his best pitch on a 3-2 count even after he was made a starter. How the hell can he be expected to close if he is afraid of the strike zone?

This is such a perfect example of people playing fantasy who listen only to the rotto wire and don't actually watch any baseball. :-t :-t
thedukeorsino
College Coach
College Coach

Postby baseballnewb » Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:19 pm

There is absolutely nothing wrong with picking up Kim as long as its only for a bench spot. If he fails which I assume he will you can simply dump him again, if he gets off to an ok start then trade him asap. Thats good fantasy baseball sense, not sure what you guys are talking about. Now if someone picks him up and puts him into their active lineup, yeah thats not bright.
baseballnewb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers