Let's talk about Matt Morris - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Let's talk about Matt Morris

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Let's talk about Matt Morris

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:11 pm

I was looking at his stats from last year and something stuck out to me. His WHIP was right around his career avg. His ERA on the other hand was over a point higher than his career average. The reasons are that his K/9 dropped and he gave up a lot of HR. Now I'll be the first to say that Morris is a headcase and last year instead of going after hitter with 2 strikes he would nibble at the corners, but how much of this do you attribute to his head and how much do you attribute to the fraying of his labrum?

He is scheduled to start the season on the DL and to make his first start April 19th. He is coming pretty cheap and I think could be a bargain.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Phatferd » Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:17 pm

I had him a few years ago when he was solid, but still even at his best he isnt a real fantasy type pitcher. Hes good for a number 3 or 4 pitcher in leagues when on.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Re: Let's talk about Matt Morris

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:21 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:Now I'll be the first to say that Morris is a headcase and last year instead of going after hitter with 2 strikes he would nibble at the corners, but how much of this do you attribute to his head and how much do you attribute to the fraying of his labrum?

i always thought it was a little bit of both. because of the bum shoulder he didnt have his best stuff. when you dont have your best stuff it is hard to challenge the hitters. i think he has even mentioned that once or twice. he said something to the effect that he lost his confidence and aggressiveness because he didnt trust his stuff anymore.

i think he could have a decent year and would give him a shot at the right price. still, in my drafts he was going a little high for my taste.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby MashinSpuds » Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:07 pm

I read somewhere that he still misses his best buddy and teammate Darryl Kile. I guess there's many elements that have brought Morris down...
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)

Postby quicksilver8 » Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:28 pm

I read reports that his velocity was still down considerably...
quicksilver8
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RC » Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:29 pm

Had Morris last year.

His ERA v. WHIP numbers can be explained by the astromical number of HR's he gave up last year. For a guy who throws a good curve and a sinker, he got lit way too often.

Also, he often would throw an absolute gem in one outing and then get shelled somethin' fierce the next. Close to the end of the season, there was a blurb on KFFL or Fanball that said the Cardinals coaches/managers thought Morris might have been tipping his pitches.

There's definitely a chicken and egg thing here. Perhaps the shoulder was caused by over throwing that came about because he was shelled because he was tipping pitches. Anyway, I'm going to keep an eye on his first start. If I don't draft him in my 20 teamer, I'll pick him up when he's off the DL.

RC
Like my Avatar?
RC
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:49 pm

quicksilver8 wrote:I read reports that his velocity was still down considerably...
I read that as well and I'm keeping an eye on it. It is not unreasonable to think that because of the surgery he hasn't reached he top arm strengh yet. I also read where Morris said he would need about 4 more starts before he reached that point. But it is something to watch.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Postby agchris02 » Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:15 pm

personally, i dont think he's a great bargain, he's going right where he should in drafts, particularly with injury/arm issues

two years ago, i rode him all year and traded him for a great bat before the playoffs, he was my best friend

that resulted in a high draft pick last year, now im mad at him and he can sit on someone elses bench :P
Jackalope
agchris02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers