Drafting for Roto - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Drafting for Roto

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Drafting for Roto

Postby Steve-o » Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:40 pm

I have my roto draft tonight and was wondering how everyone keeps track of their needs.

I have my own cheats and note which categories people help in on those cheats. My question is whether people keep track of their total steals or projected average, etc, during the draft? I would think this would be too much work to do.

In the past I have just drafted with an eye towards AVG figuring it would be the hardest to make up in the future. Now I am thinking of keeping a list and writing downing the cats that each draft pick helps in, so if in round 12 I need steals, I take a SB guy over a HR guy.

Any thoughts? How does everyone else do it?
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SouthBronxBombers » Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:45 pm

I tend to stick with the guys that I have targeted in order for the first 15 rounds, and then look at where I might need to draft for need.
SouthBronxBombers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: Drafting for Roto

Postby xeifrank » Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:47 pm

Steve-o wrote:I have my roto draft tonight and was wondering how everyone keeps track of their needs.

I have my own cheats and note which categories people help in on those cheats. My question is whether people keep track of their total steals or projected average, etc, during the draft? I would think this would be too much work to do.

In the past I have just drafted with an eye towards AVG figuring it would be the hardest to make up in the future. Now I am thinking of keeping a list and writing downing the cats that each draft pick helps in, so if in round 12 I need steals, I take a SB guy over a HR guy.

Any thoughts? How does everyone else do it?

I use my own draft software. It keeps track of every teams roster, gives projected standings after each pick, that way you can get an idea as to what categories you may be lacking in, and the computer will give you draft advice which may help out when you are unsure of which player to draft. You can also set the draft mode to ESPN Average Draft Result Rankings, that way you can get a good idea of how long a player might stay on the board, and whether or not you will pass on him this round and hope to get him when the draft snakes back to you.

vr

Xeifrank
Author of: 2013 Mock Draft Software
Author of: Dodger Sims
Author of: The Sober Angels
Author of: Xei On Sports
xeifrank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Amazinz » Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:51 pm

If you're handy with Excel you can set up a draft tracker pretty easy or like Xeifrank suggested, use his program or another program you like. It's a little hectic in Yahoo-style fast drafts but the effort is well worth it. It definitely helps you make better decisions when you know exactly what your deficiencies are in comparison to the league rather than eye-balling it.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Steve-o » Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:58 pm

I like to think I am pretty handy with excel. How do you suggest setting it up?
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Amazinz » Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:08 pm

I have 2 sheets set up, one for all of my pitching projections and one for all of my hitting projections.

Then I have a sheet for each team drafting that has a roster grid. I use lookups to pull the data out of my projection lists into the roster grid.

Finally, I have a master sheet that calculates the totals for each team and displays them as standings so that I know the standings for the league based on my projections.

This can all be done through Excel via lookups and pivot tables but if you're pretty decent with VBA and VBA Forms it's a bit easier.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Baseball Leftovers