can i trust the commish for advice? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

can i trust the commish for advice?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

can i trust the commish for advice?

Postby Euclid » Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:56 pm

I just drafted in a league and thought i got a decent team. One of my good friends is a commish and we used to always talk fantasy baseball but i beat him in a close race last year, which happened to be my first year. I recently have wondered about advice he was giving me since he told me i wasn't offering close to enough in either trade

Trade 1
I get Benitez
I give F Cordero, Monreau

Trade 2
I get Bonds and Halladay
I give Sheets and Mench

Trade 3
I get Bonds
I give C Patterson (this was more hypothetical since i need the SB)

then i ask him what he is planning to do to try to get ichuro from my friend and he thinks giving up Nevin and one of his lower pitchers is fair. I ask him and he values nevin over monreau by a fair margin and says it doesn't matter where they are drafted in a trade. Can i trust him for advice and i guess as a commish since he brought a lot of rookies in the league or do you think i'm in for a long season?
Euclid
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Melo255 » Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:04 pm

Trade 1 is a complete and total ripoff. Cordero alone is a lot better than Benitez forget throwing in Morneau.

I would actually do trade 2 if you need the pitching, I have Sheets miles ahead of Halladay, and trade 3 seems fair as well with Bonds injury. If this guy wants more I would just look elsewhere. Bonds seems to be dropping anywhere from rounds 10-15. His name is his value now.
Melo255
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Re: can i trust the commish for advice?

Postby bost0n » Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:07 pm

Euclid wrote:Trade 1
I get Benitez
I give F Cordero, Monreau

Youre giving too much, IMO..

Trade 2
I get Bonds and Halladay
I give Sheets and Mench

Close to even. Not vetoable though.
Trade 3
I get Bonds
I give C Patterson (this was more hypothetical since i need the SB)

I think youre giving a little to slim of an offer. But the thing is bonds stats is up in the air so its not vetoable.

then i ask him what he is planning to do to try to get ichuro from my friend and he thinks giving up Nevin and one of his lower pitchers is fair. I ask him and he values nevin over monreau by a fair margin and says it doesn't matter where they are drafted in a trade. Can i trust him for advice and i guess as a commish since he brought a lot of rookies in the league or do you think i'm in for a long season?

nevin + lower pitcher is way too little for ichiro. I like Morneau over Nevin. I have a good friend whos commish and I can talk to him about it because we both know were two fo the better players in the league so theres nothing to worry about.

Your friends advice appears a bit shoddy, though.
cross your fingers for missouri
bost0n
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby MashinSpuds » Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:09 pm

As a commish in a similar situation, I would expect your friend to lay off some of the advice since it's your second year. Not only do you have a year under your belt so as to have a decent knowledge of players, but you also beat the commish last year! This means you should expect to fend a lot for yourself, because you've already shown you're capable.

That said, friendly correspondence is still allowable and likely. I just wouldn't solely rely on your commish friend for advice... good thing you have the Cafe.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)

Postby donny23 » Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:11 pm

Rely on advice from here. We don't have stake in your league so we'll give you a fair and honest answer. Above and beyond that, trust your own instincts. Don't trust your friend at all. he might not purposely trying to help himself and hurt your team, but his trade advice seems terrible.
donny23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Euclid » Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:15 pm

yeah i always post my trades that i'm thinking of in the cafe because i know i will get an unbiased opinion but i liked discussing things with him too although i think i might know more about baseball than him now. None of trades i put up were offered and a couple were hypothetical to just get a feel of if i can trust him this year after he gave me the advice on the first one with morneau. I'm just worried since he gave himself the sole vetoing power if he thinks that giving a bunch of low players for a second round pick is alright. I told him it would be more fair if he stuck in carlos lee instead of nevin but he said he didn't want to have to give up lee who he drafted in the 8th round.
Euclid
General Manager
General Manager

Postby donny23 » Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:24 pm

And what round was Ichiro drafted in? To get something, you have to give up something. What is his team including rounds drafted? Let's show him what type of trade you would offer him would be the equal to offering Nevin and crap for Ichiro. Put things in perspective for him...

Euclid wrote:yeah i always post my trades that i'm thinking of in the cafe because i know i will get an unbiased opinion but i liked discussing things with him too although i think i might know more about baseball than him now. None of trades i put up were offered and a couple were hypothetical to just get a feel of if i can trust him this year after he gave me the advice on the first one with morneau. I'm just worried since he gave himself the sole vetoing power if he thinks that giving a bunch of low players for a second round pick is alright. I told him it would be more fair if he stuck in carlos lee instead of nevin but he said he didn't want to have to give up lee who he drafted in the 8th round.
donny23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby agchris02 » Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:27 pm

as to those trades, i cant believe he gave you advice to take the first one -- for that id discount everything he said after that

commishs are often idiots, Im in a league this yr with a bunch of friends who have never played before (5 or 6 first timers) with two of us who have been at it for years; the newbies are afraid of being taken advantage of so we passed commish ability off to one of them

All a commish has to be able to do is manipulate league settings, arbitrate disuptes, and handel any unforseen problems as well as get people together

Good league rules take care of most things -- dont look to your commish for advice if he gives bad advice
Jackalope
agchris02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:35 pm

whatever the situation, fantasy baseball or other, its generally a good idea to seek the opinion of more than one person when possible. even if he is honest, he may not have the best advice.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Euclid » Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:58 pm

Commish Team (round) with #1 pick
C-I Rodriguez (5)
1st - Teixeira (3)
2nd - Boone (7)
ss - Uribe (13)
3rd - Rodriguez(1)
OF - Sheffield (2)
C Lee (8)
M Alou (9)
Utl - Bagwell (16)
BN - Nevin (15)
F Thomas (18)
Biggio (20)
P Hudson (4)
Clement (10)
Colon (12)
Pettite (14)
Davis (17)
RP Isringhausen (6)
C Cordero (11)
BN Tomko (19)
C Lee(21)

Other Team (drafted) autopicked with #9 pick (not a bad team)
C- Lo Duca (16)
1st - Sexson (9)
2nd - Loretta (6)
3rd - Lowell (10)
ss - Guillen (5)
0f - Suzuki (2)
A Jones (13)
Bonds (4)
Lawton (15)
BN - Cameron (21)
Freel (20)
Koskie (19)