Any thoughts on Church? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Any thoughts on Church?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Any thoughts on Church?

Postby xeifrank » Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:47 pm

Nice minor league numbers, but I know very little about him. My instincts tell me, not much worth but someone to keep an eye on. vr, Xei

Yahoo News wrote:Mar 31 Nationals outfielder Ryan Church started in center field on Wednesday. He went 1-for-4 with a run scored and a stolen base.

Views: With the demotion of Endy Chavez, many assumed that Brad Wilkerson would move over to center and Terrmel Sledge would start in left. However, the Nats look like they are going to keep Wilkerson in left and give Church a chance to earn the job. Ryan isn't hitting particularly well this spring, but he batted .342 with 17 homers, 78 RBI, and 74 runs in 347 at-bats at Triple-A in 2004. In other words, he has some upside with the stick. NL-only owners digging for outfield help may want to grab Church off the waiver wire, even though he could easily lose the job to Sledge at some point.
Author of: 2013 Mock Draft Software
Author of: Dodger Sims
Author of: The Sober Angels
Author of: Xei On Sports
xeifrank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby donny23 » Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:51 pm

If he keeps the job all year, I think his upside is about .285 with 20-25 HR
donny23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:51 pm

I go every week, but I don't tithe unless I feel that the money is going to go somewhere good.

Sorry... I know, I know... It was too easy.

O:-)
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Dmville » Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:10 pm

Donny, Please be right.
Dmville
Dmville
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby donny23 » Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:18 pm

Be right about what? I said that's his upside. If all goes right, I can see him doing that. That being said, unless he stays consistent, Sledge will be right in there for at bats. Also, if by miracle, Nick Johnson stays healthy, Endy Chavez will come back up at some point to take the CF job back. Church and Sledge are both not natural CF's like Endy. Basically, the OF to open the season will be as follows:

LF Wilkerson
CF Church
RF Guillen

1B Nick Johnson

If Nick Johnson gets hurts, Wilkerson moves to first and either they keep Church in CF and put Sledge in LF or they bring up Chavez (which probably would be preferred) to play CF and put Church or Sledge in LF.

Either way, unless a trade happens here or unless Church puts up some really good stats, I don't see him getting any more than 450 at bats. Too much competition for at bats. in 450 at bats, I see him more as a .285, 15-18 HR guy tops (once again, that's his high side prediction with that amount of at bats).

Dmville wrote:Donny, Please be right.
donny23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby donny23 » Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:32 pm

By the way, JJ Davis should also see some time. I'd stay away from this situation now (outside of Wilkerson and Guillen) until they figure out a plan in Washington. Right now, they seem to have no clue which direction they want to go with it. A trade should happen at some point.
donny23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers