How valuable is John Smoltz qualifying as RP - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How valuable is John Smoltz qualifying as RP

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How valuable is John Smoltz qualifying as RP

Postby cheezman » Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:25 pm

From what I understand, if I drafted him, I'd be allowed to start him at RP in my CBS points league and he'd accumulate RP games. Having a pitcher getting 15-20-something points each game in a spot filled with 7-10 point per gamers seems like a huge advantage.

My league specs:
162 SP games for the year
140 RP games for the year
Start 5 SP and 2 RP
W 10, L -5, IP 3, BB/H/ER -1, K 1, SV 10, BS -5, CG 5, ShO 10

Given all this, where should he be drafted?
cheezman
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AtlDynasty25 » Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:30 pm

Not that big of a deal, as those 2 RP slots should be occupied by closers most of the time. 5 SP slots should give you plenty of room to get in all of your starters on a given day. I can't fathom a scenario in which you would have 6 Starters going on the same day haha. Unless your league uses weekly changes, in that case, it could prove to be a slight advantage.

If you have 5 SP's that start 30 games each, that's 150 games. Depending on how many SP's you are carrying, those extra games from the RP spot could come in handy towards the end of the year. The question is if Smoltz will be around for the end of the year haha. If you are going to try to take advantage of this, I would pitch smoltz in the RP slots early in the year to conserve SP games. That way, you will be able to use those extra starts for other pitchers at the end of the year in case smoltz can't hold up.
AtlDynasty25
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Fireball Express » Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:16 pm

Since it is a Points based league, yeah a SP who qualifies as an RP is good to have. You probably get points awarded for outs recorded or innings pitched as well as Ks. Makes sense if you have a max on games played and not Innings pitched. I remember this from my Free Sandbox days.

In a 5x5 H2H setting, he wouldn't be as valuable. Then a RP who qualifies as a SP might be a greater option. (Batista). Then you can plug him into your line up for extra saves when your SPs have off days. (Daily transactions must apply).

All this being said; I don't know what the under/over is on Smoltz's IP this year. I'm one of those guys who would bet the under.
Fireball Express
General Manager
General Manager

Postby rickscogland » Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:24 pm

It depends ... if you get 162 actual starts and 140 actual relief appearances, then it is no benefit. If you get to use 162 starting pitcher slots and 140 relief pitcher slots, regardless of what the pitchers are actually used for within the actual game, then it is a huge benefit to own Smoltz in a points league, because SP's earn more points per appearance than RP's do, by about 10 points per appearance.
rickscogland
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Return to Baseball Leftovers