Alex Sanchez: What's your take? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Alex Sanchez: What's your take?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby TheYanks04 » Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:19 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:How would Gathright be arbitration elig? He does not even have 1 year of MLB duty and is only 23?

Now Im frusterated because I cant find the article. Dont tell me Im the only one that saw it.

Well, apparantly there's lots of mixed news about this - another we'll see.

It might have to do with keeping his combined service for 04/05 under 1 year and thus gaining an extra season before he becomes arbitration elig. The rule for arbitration is:

A player with three or more years of service, but less than six years, may file for salary arbitration. In addition, a player can be classified as a "Super Two" and be eligible for arbitration with less than three years of service. A player with at least two but less than three years of Major League service shall be eligible for salary arbitration if he has accumulated at least 86 days of service during the immediately preceding season and he ranks in the top 17 percent in total service in the class of Players who have at least two but less than three years of Major League service, however accumulated, but with at least 86 days of service accumulated during the immediately preceding season.

Gathright had 52 ABs in 04 so I am guessing he is not qualifying under the Super Two rule and if they hold him out 1 month he would have less than 1 year of service going into 06.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:26 am

TheYanks04 wrote:A player with three or more years of service, but less than six years, may file for salary arbitration. In addition, a player can be classified as a "Super Two" and be eligible for arbitration with less than three years of service. A player with at least two but less than three years of Major League service shall be eligible for salary arbitration if he has accumulated at least 86 days of service during the immediately preceding season and he ranks in the top 17 percent in total service in the class of Players who have at least two but less than three years of Major League service, however accumulated, but with at least 86 days of service accumulated during the immediately preceding season.

hmm - I guess I dont know what to tell you then, maybe the author was blowing hot air.

What strikes me as funny however if the 86 games and 17% total service. I wonder how thay came up with those numbers. I can see grown men sitting around a table discussing the merits of 86 days as oppossed to 85. :-b
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Jack-In-A-Box » Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:45 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:A player with three or more years of service, but less than six years, may file for salary arbitration. In addition, a player can be classified as a "Super Two" and be eligible for arbitration with less than three years of service. A player with at least two but less than three years of Major League service shall be eligible for salary arbitration if he has accumulated at least 86 days of service during the immediately preceding season and he ranks in the top 17 percent in total service in the class of Players who have at least two but less than three years of Major League service, however accumulated, but with at least 86 days of service accumulated during the immediately preceding season.

hmm - I guess I dont know what to tell you then, maybe the author was blowing hot air.

What strikes me as funny however if the 86 games and 17% total service. I wonder how thay came up with those numbers. I can see grown men sitting around a table discussing the merits of 86 days as oppossed to 85. :-b

I've seen the article you are talking about Corn. If he starts off the 1st month of the season in the minor his 3 years service before arbitration eligible doesnt go into effect this year. If he were to begin in the majors at the start of the season then his 3 years would start this year. So they keep him down for the 1st month of the season so that next year his 3 year service begins and at the end of that 3 years hes eligible for arbitration. Its a loop-hole they found that basically enables them to keep a player longer and cheaper because technically his major league service wont begin until the following year.
Jack-In-A-Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby tomkatt » Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:14 pm

My take is he takes steroids. :-B
tomkatt
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:15 pm

Does this mean Gathright is going to start in center for the DRays?
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby nuggets » Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:19 pm

tomkatt wrote:My take is he takes steroids. :-B

He violated the drug policy, it doesn not specify whether or not he used 'roids. He claims he never has. I'd tend to believe his scrawny a$$
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jjigglers » Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:25 pm

they said on baseball tonight that the only substance abuse violation that results on 10 games is for steriods.
jjigglers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Honus » Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:35 pm

Glad to see that MLB tested all of the big power hitters first. Dang, if guys like Sanchez are on 'roids, what does that say about the guys who have more than 4 career homers under their belts... :-/
We don't like their sound, and guitar music is on the way out. Decca Recording, 1962
New opinions are always suspected, and usually opposed, without any other reason but because they are not already common. John Locke
Fortune favors the bold. Virgil
Honus
College Coach
College Coach

Postby nuggets » Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:15 pm

Honus wrote:Glad to see that MLB tested all of the big power hitters first. Dang, if guys like Sanchez are on 'roids, what does that say about the guys who have more than 4 career homers under their belts... :-/

lol.

Your first quote on your profile, is it in regards to a certian greatest rock group of all time?

When you've got a bustle in you hedgerow...
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby crapshooter » Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:51 am

No it only means Gathright SHOULD start...however, I've saw where he will be the 4th outfielder
You don't have to like 'em to own 'em!!!!
crapshooter
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers