How many of you believe in Jeff Francis? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How many of you believe in Jeff Francis?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby wrveres » Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:03 pm

bleach168 wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:There has NEVER been a Rox SP worthy of an active roster spot in a 12 team mixed league that I am aware of. Maybe someone can find/recall one, but I can't think of one. Why would this guy be the exception?

Hey, there have barely been a few clsoers worthy of a roster spot let alone a SP that played for the Rox.

You are kinda, sorta right. For a short period of time Shawn Chacon was the talk of the town here at the Cafe. I'm sad to say quite a few of our members fell for Chacon's trickery.

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... ght=chacon

yeah but none of those guys are around anymore.
The only one who got it right was .JDH.
What ever happened to that guy.
He knew his chit. ;-D

JDH: Chacon's early start is nothing more than a mirage. Last year, he started fairly well also, but everything fell apart after the first month, and he finished with a 5-11 record, 5.73 ERA and 1.53 WHIP. He was playing with Colorado and at Coors last year, and didn't have it, so the argument about him playing high school in Denver just doesn't hold weight. He didn't just suddenly become Pedro. At best, he will get 10 wins, a 4.50 ERA and a WHIP around 1.40. In other words, classic waiver material.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 758)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bmd » Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:06 pm

I'm not counting on Francis for this season. I just think he needs to get some more major league experience under his belt. I think his breakout season could be in 2006. Please help with my post below.
bmd
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby thehat » Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:06 pm

nuggets wrote:
thehat wrote:.

But that's why they play the game... Go Bucknell, Wisonsin-Milwauke and Vermont. It's the people who take the risks that end up on top. If I were to ask you which is most likely- Francis deserving a roster spot on a 14 team, 33 player league OR Bucknell beating Kansas which would you have chosen? I'd have gone with Francis.

HUH? What in the wide, wide world of sports are you talking about? Though I fail to understand what three college basketball results have to do with fantasy baseball, I'll play along.

Let's just say for the sake of argument that there are 30 matchups between Bucknell and Kansas. I'm using that number based on the approximate number of Franic starts we'll see this season. You can have Bucknell for the 30 games and I'll take Kansas. I can guarantee you that I'm going to get the best of you by a friggin' mile. As for Francis, I'm sure he will have several good starts. But chances are he'll have about 10 wins and an ERA near 5 when it's all said and done. There's a huge difference between gambling and taking on a likely liability.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby BritSox » Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:17 pm

I believe. In real life. Not in fantasy.

In an extremely deep NL-only, maybe, just maybe, he's worth a flyer, as long as you're not relying on him to start. Anything else, i wouldn't touch him with a bargepole this year, and maybe not ever as long as he stays in Colorado. You do wonder if the Rockies will ever be good, given what a putoff that park must be to any decent pitcher.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby Rhino Tuff » Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:37 pm

In a points league where you are looking for quality starts and a lot of K's Francis is going to be a good pitcher. K/9 will make up for a lot of the blow ups. I like Francis this week in San Fran, I'm very tempted to throw him out there.

In San Fran I perdict 8k's mid 3.00 ERA and 6.5 innings...
Rhino Tuff
College Coach
College Coach

Postby nuggets » Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:13 am

thehat wrote:
nuggets wrote:
thehat wrote:.

But that's why they play the game... Go Bucknell, Wisonsin-Milwauke and Vermont. It's the people who take the risks that end up on top. If I were to ask you which is most likely- Francis deserving a roster spot on a 14 team, 33 player league OR Bucknell beating Kansas which would you have chosen? I'd have gone with Francis.

HUH? What in the wide, wide world of sports are you talking about? Though I fail to understand what three college basketball results have to do with fantasy baseball, I'll play along.

Let's just say for the sake of argument that there are 30 matchups between Bucknell and Kansas. I'm using that number based on the approximate number of Franic starts we'll see this season. You can have Bucknell for the 30 games and I'll take Kansas. I can guarantee you that I'm going to get the best of you by a friggin' mile. As for Francis, I'm sure he will have several good starts. But chances are he'll have about 10 wins and an ERA near 5 when it's all said and done. There's a huge difference between gambling and taking on a likely liability.

I was thinking of a Francis season wholistically. You are right- the % are against him- but my point in answering to your original statement

"
thehat wrote:Leave him and all Rockies pitcher alone. It never ceases to amaze me that there are still some folks in the fantasy world that want to try and beat the undeniable odds by stabbing at a Colorado pitcher every year.
"

is that Joe Kennedys and Bucknells do exist and people like finding them.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby AKhomebrewer » Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:19 am

This trade to Texas isn't gonna help him at all.

... oh, wait — I thought this was the Matt Riley thread. Sorry.
• Aaron Hill: Avoids DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
• Aaron Hill: Headed for DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 1)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers