How many of you believe in Jeff Francis? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How many of you believe in Jeff Francis?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby thehat » Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:37 am

AAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!

He pitches in the worst pitcher park in the history of baseball, and he's on a team that is absolutely freakin' horrible.

Look, Randy Johnson is a 3.86 lifetime ERA in this park. That's Randy Johnson!

If Francis somehow overcomes the elements and does a great job, what are you gonna get from him? Maybe ten wins and a high 4 ERA, and that's a generous estimate. Plus, the Rockies are sure to limit his IP to some extent, so you probably won't see him go more than 150-175 which means you get about 130 K's...maybe.

Leave him and all Rockies pitcher alone. It never ceases to amaze me that there are still some folks in the fantasy world that want to try and beat the undeniable odds by stabbing at a Colorado pitcher every year.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby johnwesleyharding » Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:08 am

stab... stab... stab stab...
"This is the only thing that really matters... keeps me going, retains my sanity..." John Wesley Harding
johnwesleyharding
College Coach
College Coach

Postby TB13 » Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:48 am

Fantastic stuff, but I do not know if the Coors effect can ever be truly overcome. As someone said, and very wisely so, why pick him up just to start him on the road? At that point, you are better off having a Mike Gonzales or a Juan Rincon instead.
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Fireball Express » Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:17 pm

I drafted him in the second to last round in one league.
I like his K ratio and only plan to start him on the road. I have room on my bench right now.

I can't see how you can write him off just b/c he plays at Coors AND NOT write off any ChiSox SPs. US Cellular gives up the long ball just as often. I'm sure there are plenty of teams who drafted Garcia.

Francis may end up on the WW, but to start the year, I'll stash him just in case he's really that good.
Fireball Express
General Manager
General Manager

Postby TheYanks04 » Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:41 pm

Coors fields is a hitter's paradise with thin air and an expansive OF that not only sees many HRs, but lots of sinlges and doubles as well. That place is a pitcher's nightmare and I again point out that I can't remember a single Rox SP in a 12-team mixed league that was worth an active roster spot..ever. I can think of a number that played for he WSox.

Spot start on the road with a rookie SP going to be under more stress as he tries to impress and goes out and gives up 8 ER in 4 IPs in Coors...no thanks. Rookie SPs are inconsistent and unreliable as it is.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby wrveres » Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:50 pm

"Friends don't let Friends Draft Colorado Pitchers" ;-D
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:56 pm

i would stay away. let someone else take that risk. he may be ok initially but it seems like the more you pitch in coors the more it gets to you. your stuff doesnt move the same way so you adjust your mechanics a little and pretty soon you cant even throw well on the road. my prediction--he puts up a decent first half all things considered and then falls apart.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby mcqfesijiba » Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:02 pm

Coors is going to hamper Francis's career. He might manage a solid season at some point, but I can't bring myself to have enough confidence in any pitcher for the Rockies. I predict that Francis will be doing everything in his power to get out of Colorado within a year or two. Facing the world's best hitters in a place where you are handicapped by the thin air can't be a desirable place to play for a pitcher.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby TheYanks04 » Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:07 pm

Whythe Rox even bother to draft SPs at all is beyond me. Really not going to be of any value to them outside of a trade and top-value is not achieved with any pitcher when they post 5+ ERA pitching half their games in Coors no matter how highly touted they may be.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby red » Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:17 pm

At Colorado Springs last year he had a 2.85 ERA, 49K in 41 IP, and only 7BB-- and it's not like Colorado Springs is sea level. If you compare to his AA numbers, they are exactly the same.
Prove he can do it, no it doesn't but I do believe he has a better chance of doing it than anyone else we've seen at Coors. I'm a believer. And if I'm wrong, well, it's like a last round pick. Dropped a last rounder for the waiver wire before-- but if the believers are right-- who else are you going to get with this much upside in the last rounds or two of a draft?
red
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers