D'Angelo Jimenez - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

D'Angelo Jimenez

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

D'Angelo Jimenez

Postby Mr. Abreu » Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:23 pm

with all the talk of lower tier second baseman i wondered what people thought of him. He is my 2b (16 team league) i am trying to deal him but i dont feel stuck with him. I mean hitting 1st for the reds is not a bad place to hit. Any other opinion or projections for him? Who do you think he is comparable to?
Thanks
Mr. Abreu
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby EricF » Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:55 pm

I would compare him to Junior Spivey or Mark Grudzielanek. He will have a decent average and a little pop, and should score a fair amount of runs. You can forget RBI (he had his first of the spring today). One thing in his favor (maybe this doesn't count much for fantasy) is that he is a very patient hitter and will see a lot of pitches, thereby waiting for a good pitch to hit. The Reds are considering batting Adam Dunn second in the lineup, and that will be great protection for him.

One downside for Jimenez is that Ryan Freel is on the team. Freel is a sparkplug and Dave Miley will look for ways to get him into the lineup. If you want Freel to play, who are you going to sit? Dunn? Griffey? Kearns? Casey, shifting Dunn to 1B? Randa? Jimenez? Jimenez is the top candidate in my opinion, so he may miss some games or not finish some games.
EricF
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby d18Mike » Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:04 pm

Cory Swartz, the manager of Stats for MLB, noted in a recent Fantasy 411 that he believes Jimmenez will be undervalued in drafts but is primed for a excellent year based on his age (28?), place in the lineup, consistent improvement in plate discipline etc...

I think he's a mid-tier and perhaps a bit of a bargin.
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Conner » Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:15 pm

When he was with the Yankees, many people felt he was a better prospect than Alfonso Soriano.

He got into a absolutely terrible car accident, which set him back a whole lot....He couldn't even walk for a long time (I think he actually broke his neck).
Conner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:17 pm

EricF wrote:I would compare him to Junior Spivey or Mark Grudzielanek. He will have a decent average and a little pop, and should score a fair amount of runs. You can forget RBI (he had his first of the spring today). One thing in his favor (maybe this doesn't count much for fantasy) is that he is a very patient hitter and will see a lot of pitches, thereby waiting for a good pitch to hit. The Reds are considering batting Adam Dunn second in the lineup, and that will be great protection for him.

One downside for Jimenez is that Ryan Freel is on the team. Freel is a sparkplug and Dave Miley will look for ways to get him into the lineup. If you want Freel to play, who are you going to sit? Dunn? Griffey? Kearns? Casey, shifting Dunn to 1B? Randa? Jimenez? Jimenez is the top candidate in my opinion, so he may miss some games or not finish some games.

Very good analysis of both sides. ;-D I was going to say the same thing pretty much. He is a very good player to have if you're rather desperate for a 2B since he will fall pretty far and has great value for where he will be taken. He should be decent in AVG (.280-.290 maybe), solid in runs leading off for CIN, and could maybe hit 10-15HR. Not too bad for a bargain 2B if you ask me. ;-D TP is the only thing that I have serious questions about at this point.
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Rhymes_T79 » Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:13 pm

heres something i was arguing in an infante thread...

i must bring to ur attention d'angelo jimenez, who is also a 2b leading off for his respective team. I posted a thread a while ago trying to figure out who has more upside. It was surprisingly quite an even split considering the love that infante's been getting lately. most however seemed to go with infante.

they both have similar #'s (15-15 types), however, jimenez walks a ton and has .364 OBP vs. infante's .317 OBP. as leadoff hitters, this is huge. Its obvious to me anyways, that jimenez > infante, but i feel i am still in the minority. though infante might have more HR's and SB's by seasons end, and he is younger... jimenez seems more of the logical choice in terms of consistency, plate discipline, thus runs?
Without ME it would just be AWESO.
Rhymes_T79
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers