Persuasive Speech - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Persuasive Speech

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:02 pm

SuptownSpartans34 wrote:I found a topic to use, Alcohol should be banned at sporting venues. It is more current than your topic Lo, so I decided to do it on the alcohol thing.

Does anyone know the first place and the date that beer sales started at a sporting venue? I've been looking for a while and can't find it.

Looks like 1880. 8-o

http://www.planetpapers.com/Assets/3486.php

With the commercialization of sports, owners’ profits increased with alcohol sales. Beer drinking has been an integral part of sports since the late 1870’s. Chris van der Alie noticed that his saloon did well when St. Louis Brown Stockings were in town. As a result, he decided to sell beer at the games. On February 12, 1880, Alie signed a contract with the Browns allowing him to sell alcohol on their property (Johnson, 1988). During a game on July 6, 1881, the first alcohol related brawl broke out in the crowd, injuring twenty spectators and killing two (Johnson, 1998). The signed contract with the Browns’ was a financial bonus for the owner, however permitting alcohol to be sold, might have indirectly contributed to the injuries and deaths. Alcohol sales contribute financial support to teams. “Without beer companies as sponsors, the teams would have trouble making ends meet.” Bob Whitsitt, president of Seattle Supersonics, (Berger, 1990). The more alcohol consumed, the more revenue for the owners. During the 1987-1988 season the Cincinnati Reds sold 12,610 half-barrels and 35,365 cases of beer. The amount of beer consumed averages out to a pint for every man, woman, and child who attended the 81 games the team played at home (Johnson, 1988). The team’s owner benefited with a financial profit of over 1 million dollars.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SuptownSpartans34 » Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:08 pm

Thanks again ;-D
Woo Badgers
SuptownSpartans34
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby CrazyPooja90 » Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:57 am

Irish wrote:Persuade people that persuasive arguments are innefective. That would kick ass if you could convince them of it.

That's just the way I think......Always form a conundrum, everyone will be impressed. ;-D

lmao, NICE, im going to steal that idea as soon as the oppurtunity presents itself.

I've done similar stuff before, e.g writing a how-to paper on how to write "how-to" papers
"I'm going to meet the greatest umpire of all, and he knows I'm innocent."

-Shoeless Joe Jackson
CrazyPooja90
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:13 am

SuptownSpartans34 wrote:Thanks again ;-D

Just make sure that if you are giving a speech, make it short and sweet. Too many words and you will lose your audience. ;-)
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby ironman » Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:12 pm

My favorite college persuasive speech was always pot legalization. These people cracked me up because,

A) The person always thought they were hip, edgy, and original despite the fact that they were the 284th student the professor has heard give that speech.

B) Most had really stupid arguments. My favorite being this one girl who actually said in the speech, "....and my boyfriend smokes pot everyday and he's like super-smart..." RRRRIIIIIIGGGGHT....

:-D
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 97)

Previous

Return to General Talk