Is Borowski worth a roster spot? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is Borowski worth a roster spot?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is Borowski worth a roster spot?

Postby saxeT1979 » Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:09 pm

Borowski is expected to miss six to eight weeks with a broken wrist. LaTroy Hawkins will fill the closer role in his absence. Will Borowski regain the closer role upon his return?
saxeT1979
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Sp_Da_Man » Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:14 pm

Who knows the answer. Maybe Hawkins does a good job, maybe Borowski gets a shot when he comes back, maybe the Cubs trade for Urbina. Too many questions for me.

I guess if you have the spot you could keep him but the Cubs closer spot is one I'd stay away from personally.
Sp_Da_Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:24 pm

you never know with dusty and cubs what will happen, but if you have the DL spot open, boro is worth the DL spot imo.....
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby TheYanks04 » Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:46 pm

Depends on your league roster rules and whether you have an open DL slot or not. If so, stashing him does no harm. I would not be burning a needed bench slot for Borowski at this point though. Six weeks+ for a guy who is injury prone and not even guaranteed to close is not worth it.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:51 pm

Like the others said, if you have an open DL spot, stash him there and see if he gets a chance when he comes back would be what I'd try. ;-D
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

I wouldn't do it

Postby rainman23 » Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:44 pm

It's a pretty good idea, except that you're liable to need that spot for someone else. So what; you just drop Borowski at that point, right? Yeah, but he'll be closer to coming back then, and the day you drop him you'll be reminding everybody that he still exists. And that somebody else thought he was valuable enough to stash him on their DL for a while. Unless your other players stay healthy, your chances of ever actually running Borowski out there in a Save situation might improve if you let you rot on the FA wire for a while.

Of course, this is all null and void if one of your competitors is putting in a Waiver/FA claim right now. Then you really shouldn't have listened to me.

It's a gamble, no guarantees in this game. Guys at Borowski's level of value, though, I prefer to bank on falling off other players' radars.
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TheYanks04 » Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:53 pm

True enough, but with Rotoworld blabbing on the first scent of a closer's opportunity on just about anyone, any owner needing a closer is going to know about the situation...it is just a matter of a day or so that the fly under the radar approach will be effective. You should not over think these types of things. Guy is worthless for at least 6 weeks and not guaranteed a to be worth anything when he comes back. If you can stash him for free, why not?...if you need the DL slot, then to the WW trash bin he should go.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby toofunnyy » Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:06 pm

His point is, if he's WW right now, wait 4 weeks then grab him. Then you keep your DL free, and at worst lose 2 weeks. Investing 6 weeks of your only DL spot is a lot for a guy who might be useless when he comes back. I think there's gonna be better guys to stash.
toofunnyy Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby TheYanks04 » Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:16 pm

Someone short on a closer with an open DL slot will likely pick him up once he clears waivers. Why wouldn't they?
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

There's no telling

Postby rainman23 » Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:47 pm

There's no telling. Player interest varies. League intensity varies. Think about this forum. Lots of people who are into the game. Lots of them playing in pretty competitive leagues. But check out any thread that's discussing Closer philosophy. You'll always get somebody saying they never draft one of the big closers, that they can get what they need by snagging the tail enders, and picking up scraps during the season. And they're right; I've had a lot of luck that way too. And every time I grab someone who was just named the new closer, or is about to come off the DL, I'm glad that lots of other guys aren't paying close attention. And anybody who is getting by with the scrap-heap strategy year after year is benefitting from lots of other owners who aren't paying close attention. Sometimes the worst thing you can do is call attention to a player's availability.
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers