Help! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Help!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Help!

Postby Dan Charette » Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:02 am

Hi, I'm new to roto 5x5. When I drafted my team, I thought I was in a points league, with a different format. I didn't draft any closers, because in the other format I didn't need them.
But with it being a 5x5 league , I need closers My question is, Should I punt saves, or should I try to trade for closers. The offers I've had so far stink. Is there a way to win 5x5 without saves?
Thanks,
Dan
Dan Charette
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CrazyPooja90 » Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:06 am

Haha, I made a similar mistake the first time in my league. You probably need to find a closer. Could you show us your team so we could figure where you have some slack.
"I'm going to meet the greatest umpire of all, and he knows I'm innocent."

-Shoeless Joe Jackson
CrazyPooja90
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Rance Mulliniks » Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:23 am

It's pretty hard to win a 12 team 5x5 punting a category (usual candidates are saves or SB). Might finish second, but to be first, you would have to be pretty dominant everywhere else.

I'd try to trade for a closer and then vulture a closer off the WW when one of the teams with a shaky closer (Col, AZ, KC etc.) make a switch.
Mulliniks Watch: Still stuck on 1325 games 3569 AB 445 R 972 H 73 HR 435 RBI 0.272 AVG 15 SB
Rance Mulliniks
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 27)

Help

Postby Dan Charette » Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:37 am

Hi, Here is my roster: C, Barrett, Larue 1b, Morneau 2b,Loretta 3b,Huff, ss, Rollins, OF, Abreau,Dunn,Matsui,L. Gonzalez, A. Sanchez Util. Sweeney,D. Wright
Pitchers include: Sheets,Mulder,Mussina,Escobar,Radke,Maddux,Buehrle,Lieber,Greinke.
Thanks,
Dan
Dan Charette
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Rance Mulliniks » Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:47 am

You've got a great OF and way too many SPs. I'd look at moving a starter (like Maddux or Escobar) for a closer.

I like your offense. Good balance of speed and power.
Mulliniks Watch: Still stuck on 1325 games 3569 AB 445 R 972 H 73 HR 435 RBI 0.272 AVG 15 SB
Rance Mulliniks
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 27)

Help!

Postby Dan Charette » Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:48 pm

Who are some closers , that would be a fair trade in return for Maddux, or Escobar? (In a 1 for 1 trade)
Thanks again for the reply!
Dan
Dan Charette
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Look for Potential Closers on the WW

Postby Totoro » Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:55 pm

I don't think you'll be able to get any quality closers for Maddux or any of the other SPs that you have. You may want to keep an eye on the waiver wire or free agency for potential closers. Toronto's situation is still sketchy with Batistia, so watch for League or Spier and even Frasor. In Pittsburg, I would keep an eye on Gonzalez (look at his great numbers in 2004) as Mesa could be traded in mid-season when the Pirates are out of contention (again). Others to keep an eye on is the situation in Oakland with Street potentially taking over for Dotel when the A's decide to move Dotel for the right offer (e.g. Cubs). Also, pick up Borowski and place him on DL...he may take that job over again in mid-May (or whenever he returns). Dusty likes him at that role more than Hawkins. Try trading Maddux for Hawkins, reminding the other owner that Hawkins is a temp closer. Is Urbina available, pick him up as well. Percival may not last the whole season or Urbina gets traded to a team that needs a closer (will the Cubs overpay for him?).
Think of September when making trades.
Totoro
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby djack909 » Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:18 pm

Try to trade Huff for a decent closer. Dump Sanchez and pick-up Taveras (Houston). Dump Larue and Greinke and pick-up 2 potential closers Urbina,Julio, Betancourt, ect. When Berkman gets off the DL, Taveras will sit down, but he will give plenty of steals 'til then. Then dump him and pick-up another potential closer.
Last edited by djack909 on Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
djack909
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TheYanks04 » Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:23 pm

I would just scrounge for a closer or two. Realistically, unless someone offers you a great bargain, you are not going to do much to improve the saves sitaution in your league by more than a couple of points by trading for one closer and will likely hurt the other categories more. If you can get a couple of closers off the wire as closers lose jobs, guys get hurt or players traded then you can always make a deal later in the season to get another closer to move you up if that makes sense. If not, then simly move on. I would not recommend punting a category intentionally, but I would see if you can scrounge your way out of it.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby djack909 » Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:51 pm

Last year I has no closers on a team and by July 15th I had 4 off the WW. Don't give up on the saves catagory.
djack909
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers