team full of creakers...what do you think? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

team full of creakers...what do you think?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

team full of creakers...what do you think?

Postby squirtle » Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:32 am

League is standard 12 team 5X5 with 2C, one each IF, 5 OF, 2 U (any posit) and 7 pitchers, 2 of which have to be rp and 2 sp...also 2 bench spots and one for an injured player...

C Mike Piazza
C Javy Lopez
1B Todd Helton
2B Bret Boone
SS Jimmy Rollins
3B David Wright
OF Richard Hidalgo
OF Shawn Green
OF Preston Wilson
OF Trot Nixon
OF Luis Gonzales
U Carlos Pena
U Jeff DaVannon
SP Randy Johnson
SP Mike Mussina
SP Bartolo Colon
SP Andy Pettitte
SP Esteban Loaiza
SP Jeff Francis
RP Jason Isringhausen
RP Miguel Batista
RP LaTroy Hawkins

Bench: Will Taveras, Brandon Lyon
Injured: Juan Pierre

All comments welcome. This is SUCH a different approach than I have traditionally used. Myself I am pleased but there have been extremely varied opinions in my league about the quality of this team. What do you think?
Last edited by squirtle on Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
squirtle
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:19 am

How many teams?

Your offense looks alright. I think your SP after Johnson and RP after Izzy is kinda weak. I also think your bench will be filled with injured players before you know it.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 305)

Postby Rubidium » Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:59 am

I like it. Many people with high risk, high upside, but I think it should work out. Chances are good a couple will get hurt or not work out, so keep your eye on the available free agents more than you would in any other league, especially those that play OF.
Rubidium
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:54 pm

Its just OK squirtle. You can compete with it, but its not good enough as is.

Great Cs - especially since you have to start 2.
Avg infield. Helton is just ok - and his really big positive - consistancy - isnt a catagory. Boone could have a nice rebound with the new supporting cast. Rollins and Wright are both solid picks.
Poor OF - I mean its pretty bad. Lots of risk there - probably too much. I like Green the most, and Wilson the least.
Below avg Util players - any advantage you got from taking Helton's great BA early was lost by Pena. Since Im a Tiger fan, I love Pena, but you have to know his BA is a disaster for your team. Devanon may be OK I guess, but even with the large group of starters you cannot honestly consider him a starting fantasy utility player.

SP is shakey. I love RJ and see him as a fantasy MVP candidate - great pick. Moose is a below avg #2, but he could be pretty solid. Colon is a nice #3 for your sized league - he should bring his %s down from last yr. Pettitte is bad - very very bad - probably the most overrated fantasy pitcher out there (feel free to ask me more about this if you are interested). Pettitte literally has negative value - that is he ill hurt your numbers more than he will help them. Loaiza and Francis probably wont still be on your team May 1. Decent closers - but I would supplement them with elite setup pitchers - the Otsuka, Gordon, Shields, types.

Overall you need to be extremely wary of your BA on offense and your pitching ratios - top middle relievers will help you bring down the %s and can vulture wins and saves.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

pettite and other thoughts

Postby squirtle » Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:24 pm

yah cornbread I am curious as to why you think pettitte will achieve negative value...I don't see him that way at all but of course his injury stuff is a question...

yer right on batting average though...I know I need to be very careful here but I really think my OF is better than it looks on paper, though shaky...

I did get a trade offer of Pierre for Edmonds I've been considering...what do you think?

I was planning to supplant my sp with at least one solid reliever...I'm aware I'm taking a risk with Loaiza but I think he has a chance to be strong again...if I'm wrong I'll be replacing him...there are a few pitchers on the wire that are decent still and I don't mind having one player per week to play matchups with...Francis I am planning on starting away games and plugging in an ace middle relief guy when he's home...Lyon is on my bench in case he becomes the closer...if not then lickety split I pick up gordon or rincon (peeps in my league don't value middle relief that much)

Pena is going to gain 20 points in batting average this year, at least, might even hit .270. I really like him for a breakout this year. The improved protection in the lineup, his age, experience and work ethic all go in his favor.
squirtle
College Coach
College Coach

Postby AT » Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:58 pm

Your infield looks good but all 4 of your OF and your 2 Util players are very very weak. SP looks ok but Loaiza and Jeff Francis? Yikes... throw them under a bus.

Rate my team, thanks.
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=108413
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Re: pettite and other thoughts

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:07 am

squirtle wrote:yah cornbread I am curious as to why you think pettitte will achieve negative value...I don't see him that way at all but of course his injury stuff is a question...

Its his %s that will hurt you mor than his Ws and Ks help you. He was a career 1.38 WHIP pitchers who benefitted greatly from playing in NY - not just because of the run support, but also because Yankee stadium is kind to LH pitchers. Now that he went to MM - a park that negatively affects LH pitchers - he's gonna get lit up brighter than a Christmas tree. Check out his home/away splits from last yr. You are buying a name and a reputation that are way overrated when you take Pettitte.

squirtle wrote:I did get a trade offer of Pierre for Edmonds I've been considering...what do you think?

I dont see how you can do this - without Pierre you are left with only Rollins to give you serious SB contributions, and that simply isnt enough.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team