Rockies to get Kim, Tsao to the DL - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rockies to get Kim, Tsao to the DL

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby CrazyPooja90 » Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:16 am

Rance Mulliniks wrote:

Speier plays in Toronto now

Justin Speier is in Toronto, setting up Miguel Batista.

Ryan Speier is the youngster in Colorado who I think has the stuff to be the closer.

I think it's Kim's job now.

Colorado has made it clear that if the trade goes through it won't be Kim's job. He will start in MR. If he is only throwing in the low 80s, this makes some sense. If he gets back to form, then maybe try him in save opportunities.

There is some chance that Tsao won't hit the DL (they gave him a cortisone shot and say he has no structural damage), so he could end up the closer afterall. Since it's been awhile since he pitched, I don't really see this being the case opening day and bet it will be a committee.

music to my ears
"I'm going to meet the greatest umpire of all, and he knows I'm innocent."

-Shoeless Joe Jackson
CrazyPooja90
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:37 am

Ahh gotcha ...

My Bad

I think can understand me when I say that I don't spend alot of time researching Rockies Pitchers, much less their Pitching prospects. :-o
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 746)

Postby mcqfesijiba » Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:45 am

I made it a point to have nothing to do with Rockies closers long before this season started. I'd rather have a good middle reliever who will get me very few, if any saves, as opposed to the Russian Roulette of Rockies closers. They did have a miracle of a gem for a couple of years in Jose Jimenez, but he eventually imploded in a big way. I avoid all Rockies pitchers like the plague, even the ultra-talented Jeff Francis. I hope he can succeed there, but the odds are stacked against him.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby slomo007 » Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:45 pm

I think Kim will be the Rockies closer if he does indeed get traded. I am going to assume that the reason they are claiming he isn't the closer now, is because the trade isn't official yet. If you were Tsao, or Fuentes or whoever might get the job, and the announcement came that Kim was the new closer, how would you like it? What if then, the trade fell through, or Kim isn't pitching well enough due to health reasons? The Rockies would have some RPs who know their organization doesn't believe in them to close games.

I think they are hiding the announcement until the trade is official and they get a chance to see how Kim is throwing before naming him closer.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby TheYanks04 » Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:51 pm

Kim has not been very good and not been very healthy for some time now. Add in the Coors factor and a likely committee situation in Denver (at least to start off) and I do not see a lot of value here in all but the deepest of leagues/leagues with deep benches. Rox closer simply is not worth much no matter who he is. That could change sometime during the season, but it is not very likely to do so (see Chacon in 04 and Jimenez in 03) and the damage potential to your squad of activating a Rox closer is enormous.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby slomo007 » Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:53 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:That could change sometime during the season, but it is not very likely to do so (see Chacon in 04 and Jimenez in 03) and the damage potential to your squad of activating a Rox closer is enormous.

Agreed there, I've picked him up but am not activating him for a while. He does need to prove he's healthy before I'll even think of activating him.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby thehat » Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:35 pm

Like I said in another thread on Kim, the guy is toast and cannot pitch at the big league level. Leave it to the Rockies to trade for him. Even if Boston is picking up nearly his entire salary, it's still a bad move.

If he does end up closing for the Rockies, he'll make Chacon, last year's closer, look like a candidate for Cooperstown by comparison.

I've said for the last several years there's no more overmatched GM in baseball than O'Dowd and here's yet one more stupid move on his part. Why anyone would deal for a major head case who has lost his velocity (even if the old team is picking up his salary) is beyond me, and yet this guy keeps making the same deals over and over with predictable results.

Anyway, rant over. From a fantasy standpoint, follow the same recipe for success as with all Rockies pitchers...let someone else have the headache and avoid like the plague.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Transmogrifier » Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:40 pm

Kim is 26 years old. How could you be so certain he's done?

This isn't Ankiel here who was good for a brief time. Kim was very good for several years.

I think his time was definitely over in Boston--I'm not sure he could take it--but put him in an environment where he's not stressed out, and he can get his stuff together and I see a comeback. Maybe not in Colorado, but perhaps next year.

And I see no way, no way, how you can criticize any GM for taking a flyer on a once-great, All Star closer who is still 26, and only pay him the league minimum.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby slomo007 » Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:42 pm

Transmogrifier wrote:Kim is 26 years old. How could you be so certain he's done?

This isn't Ankiel here who was good for a brief time. Kim was very good for several years.

I think his time was definitely over in Boston--I'm not sure he could take it--but put him in an environment where he's not stressed out, and he can get his stuff together and I see a comeback. Maybe not in Colorado, but perhaps next year.

And I see no way, no way, how you can criticize any GM for taking a flyer on a once-great, All Star closer who is still 26, and only pay him the league minimum.

Agreed.

thehat, what do you think of the Mantei signing by Boston?
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Transmogrifier » Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:44 pm

slomo007 wrote:thehat, what do you think of the Mantei signing by Boston?

touche'
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers