Utley vs Uribe.... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Utley vs Uribe....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Carey Saders » Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:36 pm

If it were a keeper league, I'd go with Utley just in case. If not, Uribe.
Carey Saders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:52 pm

perlick29 wrote:
wrveres wrote:
JTWood wrote:
wrveres wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:
wrveres wrote:Not to mention all of those AB's that Polanco is going to steal from Utley.

You think? I have to imagine that the only reason Polanco hasn't been traded yet is because they want him as Utley insurance. If Utley's not a total disappointment for 4, 6 or maybe 8 weeks, I think the Phils start shopping Polanco around. He's good enough to start for some teams, and they could get a decent return for him, I think.

BTW, is Bell on/going on the DL? If so, won't Polanco be playing 3B for a while?

I do actually, and there is a couple of reasons for my thinking.

A) Philly is excepted to contend this year. All of the local papers and team management have made it clear that all of their excuses are gone.

B) Utley doesn't exactly hit left handers very well. Only 1 HR and 5 Career RBIs. Chase's career .228 against lefties vs Polancos career .326 is a sure sign of a platoon situation developing.

C) Sure Polanco will gets his AB's at 3rd, but if they plan on trading Polanco, they are going to need to showcase him.

But you do agree that Polanco should be trade bait if Utley isn't a total failure, right? In that case, even in your scenario, Utley is at peak value by mid-season.

sure, but people are drafting Chase like he is going to get a full seasons worth of AB's and I am saying he wont.

IMO, Chase and Placido are about the same ballplayer right now. Chase has more upside sure, but he isn't going to realize that upside until he can hit lefties consistantly.

I still say Chase will get 450 AB's even with polanco. Ill wager the vanilla milkshake you owe me that chase puts up better numbers.

hey I do owe you one. ;-D

done, though I prefer chocolate ..

so can we get a definition of these 'numbers' ?
How about the standard 5 ?
BA. Runs, HR's RBI's and SB's.
who ever has the highest in those five categories. best 3 out of 5.
Should I ask Mookie to put in on the board?
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 1149)

Postby perlick29 » Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:41 pm

wrveres wrote:
perlick29 wrote:
wrveres wrote:
JTWood wrote:
wrveres wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:
wrveres wrote:Not to mention all of those AB's that Polanco is going to steal from Utley.

You think? I have to imagine that the only reason Polanco hasn't been traded yet is because they want him as Utley insurance. If Utley's not a total disappointment for 4, 6 or maybe 8 weeks, I think the Phils start shopping Polanco around. He's good enough to start for some teams, and they could get a decent return for him, I think.

BTW, is Bell on/going on the DL? If so, won't Polanco be playing 3B for a while?

A) Philly is excepted to contend this year. All of the local papers and team management have made it clear that all of their excuses are gone.

B) Utley doesn't exactly hit left handers very well. Only 1 HR and 5 Career RBIs. Chase's career .228 against lefties vs Polancos career .326 is a sure sign of a platoon situation developing.

C) Sure Polanco will gets his AB's at 3rd, but if they plan on trading Polanco, they are going to need to showcase him.

But you do agree that Polanco should be trade bait if Utley isn't a total failure, right? In that case, even in your scenario, Utley is at peak value by mid-season.

sure, but people are drafting Chase like he is going to get a full seasons worth of AB's and I am saying he wont.

IMO, Chase and Placido are about the same ballplayer right now. Chase has more upside sure, but he isn't going to realize that upside until he can hit lefties consistantly.

I still say Chase will get 450 AB's even with polanco. Ill wager the vanilla milkshake you owe me that chase puts up better numbers.

hey I do owe you one. ;-D

done, though I prefer chocolate ..

so can we get a definition of these 'numbers' ?
How about the standard 5 ?
BA. Runs, HR's RBI's and SB's.
who ever has the highest in those five categories. best 3 out of 5.
Should I ask Mookie to put in on the board?

Sounds good although it'll be damn tough to make up the difference in steals amd BA will be pretty tight.
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dryice » Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:08 pm

utley's got the far better pedigree (1st rnd draft choice), little more selective at plate and far more power potential in a hitter's park.

uribe reminde me of cintron. only one year in whole career has he ever shown any power and take away the average and what's left is a complete zilch for fantasy purposes.

take utley
dryice
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby wrveres » Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:54 pm

From Roto-World

Apr. 3 - Placido Polanco will start over Chase Utley at second base tomorrow versus the Nationals and Livan Hernandez.
Polanco's starts won't be limited to games against left-handed pitching.
''I wish I could play both of them, but that's how it is,'' Manuel said. ''I feel like I've got two regular second baseman and that's not all bad. I feel like it makes the team stronger. I know both of them want to play. It's up to us to work it out.''
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 1149)

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:00 pm

perlick29 wrote:
wrveres wrote:
JTWood wrote:
wrveres wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:

You are kidding right? 450 AB, while Uribe will get at least 100 more? Uribe would easily beat his numbers. Since it seems like a platoon in the making, I have to say Uribe with some certainty. I wish I had gotten Uribe in a couple more leagues though. Seems so underrated.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby agchris02 » Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:33 pm

as noted above, uribe now wins this hands down as utley no longer is starting

#($&($# philly managment
Jackalope
agchris02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ravenmad22 » Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:50 pm

dryice wrote:
uribe reminde me of cintron. only one year in whole career has he ever shown any power and take away the average and what's left is a complete zilch for fantasy purposes.

His whole career... you mean all of three years? He's only 25.

Great observation about what would happen if you lowered Uribe's batting average, and took away all of his home runs, he would be a very bad player. Nice insight!
ravenmad22
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers