Utley vs Uribe.... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Utley vs Uribe....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:30 pm

slomo007 wrote:
perlick29 wrote:
slomo007 wrote:I expect both to be great relative to where they're being drafted....but Uribe has already shown us he can produce for a whole season, whereas Utley hasn't. Factor in the multipositions and I'd go with Uribe.

to respectfully disagree, I say that's more because he never gets the chance to prove himself but he's always been ready to do so. The multipositions is what helps Uribe a lot though, I'll agree with that. If it helps Utley qualifies at 1b in Yahoo.

I agree...but the bottom line is that he hasn't proved himself, regardless of the reason. Like I said, I expect Utley to be good...but I am more confident in Uribe being good, as we've already seen it for most of a season.

So then it's just a matter of risk. Personally, I think Utley is well worth the risk, and I have him wrapped up for 3 years in my contract league.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby perlick29 » Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:31 pm

darn. I just checked the VKC but you dont own Uribe. That would have been a fun little league bet to see who would be more fantasy valuable at the end of the year, with me owning Utley and all. Sorry slomo. We'll just agree to disagree.
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby slomo007 » Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:33 pm

perlick29 wrote:darn. I just checked the VKC but you dont own Uribe. That would have been a fun little league bet to see who would be more fantasy valuable at the end of the year, with me owning Utley and all. Sorry slomo. We'll just agree to disagree.

Sounds good...but I like Utley too so it's not like I'm bashing him. I just would rather take Uribe, but not by much.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Secret Avatar » Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:35 pm

I'd take Uribe. He had a break-out season last year (283-23 for the year and 290-11 in the second half in only 200 at-bats) and has been tearing it up in spring training. That looks like a player on the rise to me. Plus, he has great multi-position flexibility. I'm not nearly as sold on Utley as many are. Certainly, he hasn't proven he can produce for a full year. Maybe he will, maybe he won't. But why take the risk? Take Uribe and his breakout season over Utley and his potential break-out season.
Last edited by Secret Avatar on Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby slomo007 » Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:37 pm

Secret Avatar wrote:I'd take Uribe. He had a break-out season last year (283-23) and has been tearing it up in spring training. Plus, he has great multi-position flexibility. I'm not nearly as sold on Utley as many are. Certainly, he hasn't proven he can produce for a full year. Maybe he will, maybe he won't. But why take the risk? Take Uribe and his breakout season over Utley and his potential break-out season.

My logic exactly. ;-D
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby ravenmad22 » Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:06 pm

I own both of them, so I hope both are money.

The way I would decide who is better is where will they hit in their respective lineups? Will Utley platoon against lefties?

If Uribe hits 9th and Utley hits 7th, I like Utley. If they both hit 7th, I like Uribe better. Does anyone know where these guys are projected to hit in their respective batting lineups?
ravenmad22
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Nat Uralice » Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:40 pm

according to rototimes, however accurate it may be:

Batting Order
Pos. Player
1 Jimmy Rollins
2 Kenny Lofton
3 Bobby Abreu
4 Jim Thome
5 Pat Burrell
6 David Bell
7 Mike Lieberthal
8 Chase Utley

Batting Order
Pos. Player
1 Scott Podsednik
2 Tadahito Iguchi
3 Frank Thomas
4 Paul Konerko
5 Aaron Rowand
6 Jermaine Dye
7 Juan Uribe
8 A.J. Pierzynski
9 Joe Crede

for the record, I'd take Utley because he has more upside IMO (possibility for 25 homers if he plays consistently). Uribe is too streaky. That being said, I'd still take Uribe, but I'd rather have Chase.
Can't worry about tomorrow's pain tonight.
Nat Uralice
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Secret Avatar » Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:52 pm

"I'd take Utley because he has more upside IMO (possibility for 25 homers if he plays consistently)."

I don't understand this logic. Uribe hit 23 HR last year in only 500 at-bats and with a 282 BA. Why would you want the "possibility" when you can have a guy who has already done it and has a good chance to do even better with more at-bats? Uribe is 25 and still developing.

A big upside for Uribe may be the potential to bat 2nd. Right now, Iguchi has that slot, but there's a real possibility that he loses it and Uribe slides in. Uribe has got some speed and would do well in the 2-hole. In the 2-hole, a line for Uribe like 290-30-100-100-15 is a real possibility. That's light-years beyond what Utley can put up, IMO.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby slomo007 » Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:55 pm

Secret Avatar wrote:"I'd take Utley because he has more upside IMO (possibility for 25 homers if he plays consistently)."

I don't understand this logic. Uribe hit 23 HR last year in only 500 at-bats and with a 282 BA. Why would you want the "possibility" when you can have a guy who has already done it and has a good chance to do even better with more at-bats?

A big upside for Uribe may be the potential to bat 2nd. Right now, Iguchi has that slot, but there's a real possibility that he loses it and Uribe slides in. Uribe has got some speed and would do well in the 2-hole. In the 2-hole, a line for Uribe like 290-30-100-100-15 is a real possibility. That's light-years beyond what Utley can put up, IMO.

I don't know about the 100 RBIs, but .290, 100 runs, 30, 15 SBs is not that much of a stretch if he hit 2nd all year long. However, I am definitely not expecting that at all. I'd settle for .280, 20, 10 to be honest.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby wrveres » Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:57 pm

perlick29 wrote:darn. I just checked the VKC but you dont own Uribe. That would have been a fun little league bet to see who would be more fantasy valuable at the end of the year, with me owning Utley and all. Sorry slomo. We'll just agree to disagree.

I own Uribe in the VKC.

what do you want to bet? :-?
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 720)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers