Why So Down on Mulder? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why So Down on Mulder?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:35 am

not sure if fatigue was the problem. lots of innings but his pitch counts were never excessive. he is a very efficient pitcher.

i didnt look it up but he said he has always had poor spring numbers so not sure that they really mean anything. the last few outings have been solid. most importantly his mechanics look good and he has shown no signs of injury (which it has never been shown that he had one to begin with). he also says his changeup has looked better than it ever has. i expect him to have a pretty good season.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dmville » Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:02 pm

I'd rather it be he was injured last year than saying his mechanics were off.
Dmville
Dmville
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:39 pm

I think Mulder will have a great 2nd half, and here's my wild conjecture:

Mulder had a confidence problem. Fine. What pitcher can't fix his confidence when his offense averages 395.6 runs per inning? Just look at what the offense did for Suppan last year. He's an average pitcher at best, but he gets a little confidence and a good offense, and all of the sudden he's a decent pitcher.

Mulder will be sketchy for the first half, but once he finds that he can miss his pitch and still win, he will turn it around, gain his confidence, and be awesome in the 2nd half - just in time to lead us into the playoffs.

In short, if he starts off slowly, I would suggest trading for him because I don't see him continuing that trend all year.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 10)
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby weitliz » Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:58 pm

Examine Mulder's peripheral numbers and you'll see a steady downward trend over the past few years. I agree that that his 2nd half results last year were likely the result of an injury, but his trend line is steadily on the downslope.

His win totals will be fine with the St. Louis offense backing him, but watch for his ERA and WHIP to rise compared to previous years.
weitliz
College Coach
College Coach

Postby perlick29 » Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:25 pm

weitliz wrote:Examine Mulder's peripheral numbers and you'll see a steady downward trend over the past few years. I agree that that his 2nd half results last year were likely the result of an injury, but his trend line is steadily on the downslope.

His win totals will be fine with the St. Louis offense backing him, but watch for his ERA and WHIP to rise compared to previous years.

These are very valid points. If he starts to slip under 6k's per 9 he's not as valuable of a fantasy commodity. In addition we'll see how the defense responds to him being an extreme groundball pitcher.
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:56 pm

weitliz wrote:Examine Mulder's peripheral numbers and you'll see a steady downward trend over the past few years. I agree that that his 2nd half results last year were likely the result of an injury, but his trend line is steadily on the downslope.

i dont exactly agree with you there. his peripherals from 2001-2003 seem fairly steady to me. 2004 was noticeably different though, particulary in regard to his bb/9 and k/9. obviously if you include 2004 the trendline will be down, but just looking at 2001-03 it seems like it would be a pretty flat line.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/ ... lder.shtml
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby LBJackal » Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:40 pm

Yeah it was pretty much just last year that he struggled. 2003 his K rate dropped but that's just maturation; not trying to K everybody, instead focusing on not walking anybody and not allowing HR's. That's the same way Maddux had success in Atlanta. Hudson did the samae thing. People see a drop in K rate and assume he's getting worse but you also have to look at BB and HR. Hudson has improved his BB/9 and HR/9 every single season he's been in the majors which is why he's still a great pitcher even though he K's less. Zito bumped up his K's last year but allowed a ton of HR's which is why his ERA was so high. So with Mulder, it's just a matter of getting back into the groove he was in for 3 years from 2001-2003. Moving to the NL, and into a great pitcher's park can only help him do that. The run support won't hurt either.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby RynMan » Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:48 pm

Color me unimpressed.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers