Strange Roster Rule - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Strange Roster Rule

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby crapshooter » Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:50 am

I'm old fashioned. I prefer to let every player on the roster's stats count but then I don't play head to head *lol*...
You don't have to like 'em to own 'em!!!!
crapshooter
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 743
Joined: 1 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: raking the mound

Postby swyswy » Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:40 pm

I've never heard of a headtohead league that has a maximum innings limit for the entire year. Usually people talk about limits for the week, but why not have a limit for the season?

That way people who roster churn run out of innings and lose every pitching category down the stretch.
swyswy
Little League Legend
Little League Legend


Posts: 23
Joined: 22 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby xeifrank » Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:01 pm

swyswy wrote:I've never heard of a headtohead league that has a maximum innings limit for the entire year. Usually people talk about limits for the week, but why not have a limit for the season?

That way people who roster churn run out of innings and lose every pitching category down the stretch.


Did I miss it, somebody say there is a max innings limit for the entire year on this thread?

vr

Xeifrank
Author of: 2013 Mock Draft Software
Author of: Dodger Sims
Author of: The Sober Angels
Author of: Xei On Sports
xeifrank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 959
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 24 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: SoCal

Postby TheYanks04 » Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:14 pm

What is the big deal on his? Strange rule? Weekly formats have been around forever and are the de-facto standard on CBS. Some people like daily roster churning, others don't. And it is weekly lineups, not weekly transactions. You can pick up players all you want day to day but rosters are effective for an entire week. Same for eveyone and really does it really make a difference if game played and IP limits are put into play in daily leagues? Not really.

I like weekly formats better...always have as it cuts out the BS roster moves that daily leagues can have. You are supposed to field your best team for the long haul in Roto and emulate a real baseball team as much as possible. Real baseball teams do not pick up a reserve C on Saturday to play him on Sunday while Posada sits and then cut him loose on Monday. If you get a thrill out of adding a marginal C for 4 ABs and think that adds to the fantasy game significantly, more power to you. Nothing wrong with Daily leagues as long as the proper rules/lmits are in place...nothing wrong with weekly ones either imo. Simply a matter of preference.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero


Posts: 9531
Joined: 12 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:27 pm

My league has similar rules, but we allow one mid-week substitutions for injuries. It's not an uncommon format. Another league I'm in uses weekly lineups, but then it allows you to designate a backup for each spot. If your starter gets less than 6 games that week, then the backup fills in the missing games.

A lot of H2H leagues use this type of lineup format, and I agree that it does promote long-term ownership of solid players while simultaneously discouraging churning, which I despise.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Posts: 14716
(Past Year: 18)
Joined: 24 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby 1-2-Many » Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:51 am

xeifrank wrote:
swyswy wrote:I've never heard of a headtohead league that has a maximum innings limit for the entire year. Usually people talk about limits for the week, but why not have a limit for the season?

That way people who roster churn run out of innings and lose every pitching category down the stretch.


Did I miss it, somebody say there is a max innings limit for the entire year on this thread?

vr

Xeifrank




in my original post I NEVER metentioned anything about max innings
1-2-Many
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 324
Joined: 6 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Indiana

Postby 1-2-Many » Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:03 am

TheYanks04 wrote:What is the big deal on his? Strange rule? Weekly formats have been around forever and are the de-facto standard on CBS. Some people like daily roster churning, others don't. And it is weekly lineups, not weekly transactions. You can pick up players all you want day to day but rosters are effective for an entire week. Same for eveyone and really does it really make a difference if game played and IP limits are put into play in daily leagues? Not really.

I like weekly formats better...always have as it cuts out the BS roster moves that daily leagues can have. You are supposed to field your best team for the long haul in Roto and emulate a real baseball team as much as possible. Real baseball teams do not pick up a reserve C on Saturday to play him on Sunday while Posada sits and then cut him loose on Monday. If you get a thrill out of adding a marginal C for 4 ABs and think that adds to the fantasy game significantly, more power to you. Nothing wrong with Daily leagues as long as the proper rules/lmits are in place...nothing wrong with weekly ones either imo. Simply a matter of preference.


May not be a strange rule to you but it is to me, like I said in a pervious post I enjoy coming home from work and getting my roster ready for the next day. This weekly roster change reminds me of fantsy football, you have one guess to see who is going to preform the best for the week. And this is not a roto league either, as stated earlier. As for dropping and adding players just for the fact of having a person to fill a spot, I personally have only seen that done in the playoffs. and sure that is a problem, but one that could be handled differently. I spent time picking players for this team and not to be able to play a pitcher that I draft on any givin day personally I think is very lame. You should be able to play whomever is on your roster at any givin time IMO.
1-2-Many
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 324
Joined: 6 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Indiana

Postby agchris02 » Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:05 am

1-2-Many wrote:
xeifrank wrote:
swyswy wrote:I've never heard of a headtohead league that has a maximum innings limit for the entire year. Usually people talk about limits for the week, but why not have a limit for the season?

That way people who roster churn run out of innings and lose every pitching category down the stretch.


Did I miss it, somebody say there is a max innings limit for the entire year on this thread?

vr

Xeifrank


while this isnt the topic of the thread, sandbox i think was the first H2H league to limit innings for batters and pitchers on the year, and yes, it did eliminate roster churning

Personally, in H2H WEEKLY leagues, I prefer no limits, makes you manage more

h2h daily leagues, and daily pt leagues though NEED game limits



in my original post I NEVER metentioned anything about max innings
Jackalope
agchris02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1562
Joined: 30 Oct 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Dallas Tx

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ayebatter, datelin3, germani40, Johnesmype, kaiser, NikkiSixx, Surfs up, unioreimi and 13 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Wednesday, Apr. 16
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Atlanta at Atlanta
(12:35 pm)
NY Yankees at NY Yankees
(12:35 pm)
Chi Cubs at Chi Cubs
(1:05 pm)
Detroit at Detroit
(1:10 pm)
Cleveland at Cleveland
(3:40 pm)
Washington at Miami
(7:05 pm)
indoors
Seattle at Texas
(7:05 pm)
Kansas City at Houston
(7:08 pm)
Toronto at Minnesota
(7:10 pm)
Boston at Chi White Sox
(8:05 pm)
LA Angels at LA Angels
(8:10 pm)
Oakland at Oakland
(8:10 pm)
San Diego at San Diego
(8:10 pm)
Colorado at Colorado
(10:05 pm)
San Francisco at San Francisco
(10:10 pm)
LA Dodgers at LA Dodgers
(10:15 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact