Strange Roster Rule - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Strange Roster Rule

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Strange Roster Rule

Postby 1-2-Many » Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:38 am

I recently joined and drafted in a league, and didn't read the fine print, my fault. The rule I have a problem with is your weeks line ups are due by Monday. Meaning you can't change your line up at all after monday. No rotating pitcher, batters or anything. I personally think this is the lamest rule I have heard of, I look forward to coming home at night and getting my lineup ready for the next day, it is one of the reasons I think fantasy baeball is way better then football, the day to day action. Here is what the commish said to me after I voiced my opinion "Gonna make this quick. Daily updates result in people starting a dozen pitchers a week and 200 position games a season. Furthermore you could simply waive your pitchers and pick up a new round each day to start over 20 pitchers easily. That is lame." "If you can't see that then I'm sorry. Nevertheless, the rules aren't changing. With weekly updates you will see that the skilled managers are rewarded for drafting solid starters while those without the talent are forced to plug in jobbers because they may play 2 times that week. " I understand that I should of read the small print when I joined this league, but I just don't understand the thinking of this rule, IMO, it takes a lot of the fun out of the game. And I would like to get some other peoples opinion on the subject, maybe I am way off base.........
1-2-Many
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby KolbSaves » Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:57 am

Yeah I'm guessing the other guy has never heard of innings limits, games played limits, or moves limits.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby asumikey222 » Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:01 am

KolbSaves wrote:Yeah I'm guessing the other guy has never heard of innings limits, games played limits, or moves limits.

Nothing particularly unusual about weekly scoring either, and like the original poster admitted, it's his bad for not reading the rules. Just try to make the best of it and adapt. I hate fantasy football but I don't mind weekly scoring in baseball; it's not as much day-to-day strategy but it's A LOT of thinking and strategizing before you make your weekly lineup; it's a whole new ballgame and fun in its own way imo.
asumikey222
College Coach
College Coach

Re: Strange Roster Rule

Postby xeifrank » Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:26 am

1-2-Many wrote:I recently joined and drafted in a league, and didn't read the fine print, my fault. The rule I have a problem with is your weeks line ups are due by Monday. Meaning you can't change your line up at all after monday. No rotating pitcher, batters or anything. I personally think this is the lamest rule I have heard of, I look forward to coming home at night and getting my lineup ready for the next day, it is one of the reasons I think fantasy baeball is way better then football, the day to day action. Here is what the commish said to me after I voiced my opinion "Gonna make this quick. Daily updates result in people starting a dozen pitchers a week and 200 position games a season. Furthermore you could simply waive your pitchers and pick up a new round each day to start over 20 pitchers easily. That is lame." "If you can't see that then I'm sorry. Nevertheless, the rules aren't changing. With weekly updates you will see that the skilled managers are rewarded for drafting solid starters while those without the talent are forced to plug in jobbers because they may play 2 times that week. " I understand that I should of read the small print when I joined this league, but I just don't understand the thinking of this rule, IMO, it takes a lot of the fun out of the game. And I would like to get some other peoples opinion on the subject, maybe I am way off base.........

I think it's a lame rule too. It takes away activity from the league. It is one of the reasons I disagreed with the guy who said CBS Sportsline had the best leagues because it only allowed weekly roster moves. Your commish does make some valid points, but what I do in the H2H leagues I commish, is I set a max limit on the number of roster moves each owner can make in a season. For our league it is 35. This should be plenty, and will cut down on the manager who streams in 4 new pitchers every day. Just my 2 cents worth.

vr

Xeifrank
Author of: 2013 Mock Draft Software
Author of: Dodger Sims
Author of: The Sober Angels
Author of: Xei On Sports
xeifrank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby agchris02 » Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:02 am

there are just differances in leagues, some are weekly and some are daily (im in two daily, one weekly, and about to draft in another weekly)

personally i think weekly formats are necessary for H2H leagues, hard to imagine, unless you had daily games, anything else being effective.

for standard roto leagues, daily leagues are fine, AS LONG AS YOU HAVE INNING AND GAME LIMITS. Without game limits, well things get interesting.

Is your league H2H or standard 5x5? Some people just like weekly better, differant systems, if its that bad, find somone to take your team (classifieds) and just join another league :)
Jackalope
agchris02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby 1-2-Many » Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:39 am

ok , here are the basics........ H2H, 12 team, 30 round, 9x9 stat catagory offense:H/AB R H 2B HR RBI SB K AVG OPS , pitching:IP W L SV H K SVOP ERA WHIP K/9 . Roster positions:C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, IF, IF, LF, CF, RF, OF, OF, Util, Util, SP, SP, SP, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, DL, DL, DL, DL, DL ......
1-2-Many
College Coach
College Coach

Postby asumikey222 » Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:52 am

1-2-Many wrote:ok , here are the basics........ H2H, 12 team, 30 round, 9x9 stat catagory offense:H/AB R H 2B HR RBI SB K AVG OPS , pitching:IP W L SV H K SVOP ERA WHIP K/9 . Roster positions:C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, IF, IF, LF, CF, RF, OF, OF, Util, Util, SP, SP, SP, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, DL, DL, DL, DL, DL ......

Jesus.

Uh... have fun.

:-b
asumikey222
College Coach
College Coach

Postby 1-2-Many » Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:56 am

yeah it was a frusterating long draft, and that is what makes the rule lamer and lamer as I look at it........ spent all that time researching and drafting my team (30 rounds) and I can only play some of them a week........
1-2-Many
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:14 am

I prefer daily leagues because, to me, weekly leagues make it more boring like fantasy football. I like the daily part of it. That said, weekly leagues are what have been around longer. The internet has spoiled us in that regard.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby matmat » Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:43 am

This is somewhat interesting.

Personally I prefer daily transaction leagues, but it is important to realize that a lot of people who enjoy fantasy baseball do not have time to fiddle with their lineup every day. Weekly leagues are geared to those people.

daily transaction leagues must have IP and GP limits.

h2h leagues should be daily, but they should also have pitching minima and maxima. The reason for daily changes in this type of league is to allow managers to adjust their strategy to individual matchups, react to what the other guy is doing, etc.

roto leagues can be either. daily and weekly leagues test different skills, IMO.

I think yahoo really ought to give us an option of daily lineups that are due before some specific hour, so as to negate the advantage that someone near a computer at 4pm and 7pm has when setting rosters.
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers