Position/Platoon/Lineup battles you think the wrong guy won. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Position/Platoon/Lineup battles you think the wrong guy won.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Position/Platoon/Lineup battles you think the wrong guy won.

Postby Bukoski77 » Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:58 am

List some of the Position/Platoon/Lineup battles that you dont agree with the way they have ended up or look like they are going to.

1. Cleveland, Juan Gone over Grady Sizemore in the outfield. Old player past his prime on the decline. The Indian's are certainly central contenders but do they really feel playing brittle Gonzalez betters their post season chances?

2. Phillies, Marlon Byrd haveing to platoon with Jason Michaels in CF until K. Lofton returns. If they are going to commit to Lofton as the every day ceneter fielder when healthy why not stick with Byrd who has had a great spring?

3. Reds, Aurilia over Felipe Lopez at SS. I'm not certain but I believe Aurilia will open the year as the everyday SS or get most of the playing time. I might have to eat my own words on this one but unless Lopez's glove is really lacking why give the time to Aurilia? They certainly arent lacking on offense and however more consistent Aurilia could be with the bat doesnt justify not giving Lopez his shot.

4. Angels, DaVonon batting 2nd over Figgins in the lineup VS righties. DaVonon has decent speed and more power than Figgins but that offense lacks power in the least way. They are better off letting Figgins find a groove and stay comfortable at a set spot, batting 2nd his speed is most utilized. If they are going to sit DaVonon for Rivera against lefties then why bump Figgins up and down the batting order around a platoon situation?

5. Astros, Biggio over Burke at 2B. Biggio can still help his team at another position while Burke can only play 2B. Burke is an obvious talent, let him play.

6. D-Backs, Aquino over Lyon as the Closer. Aquino did decent as the closer last year but just doesnt have the makeup to suggest continued success while not looking very good this spring. Lyon is the better pitcher IMHO, is haveing a great spring, and did the job as a closer adequately a few years ago in a tougher situation than G. Aquino's situation last year.

7. Milwaukee, Yost not commiting to Adams as the closer. I admit I havent seen them pitch and dont know much about either Adams or Bottalico. For a team expecting to surprise and contend shouldnt they try and start off with defined roles?

8. Cleveland, Wickman closeing over Howry or Riske. Wickman is brittle as can be and I think both Howry and Riske are better pitchers.

9. Devil Rays, Alex Sanchez starting and Upton starting off in the minors. Ok maybe a stretch here with Sanchez and he does contribute to what should be a very solid defense. However the D-Rays still arent quite ready for any kind of serious contention. They have a great young nucleolus and why not let prospects develop. J. Phelps could finally break out but why not let Upton be the primary DH spelling Lugo and Gonzalez occasionally then DH-ing Phelps, letting both still get AB's with Phelps covering T. Lee on occasion then DH-ing Upton? T. Lee has a great glove but doesnt offer much with his bat. As long as you dont have Phelps and Upton in the infield at the same time their infield defense doesnt take too great a hit.

Those are just a few of mine. Please list some others or point out to me why I'm wrong. I'm just and arm chair player, I'm sure on alot of those scenarios there is a good reason for things being the way they are and I just dont know why.

Finally when listing your own opinions, please hold all personal fantasy bias aside. Scenarios #1, #4, and #6 would all hurt some of my fantasy teams.

I'm looking for situations where you think the Position/Platoon/Lineup decision leaves a team less competetive than it could be.
"Son we would like to keep you around here but were trying to win a pennant this year."
Bukoski77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thehat » Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:54 am

Great post! Here are my assessments of the battles you listed.

1. I can't fault Cleveland for trying to catch lightning in a bottle with Juan Gone. If he busts out, it's gravy. If he just busts, away he goes and Sizemore is back up by the end of April. Worth a shot.

2. Lofton, Byrd, Michaels...uh, I think the Phillies still need a CF. Another reason Ed Wade should have gotten booted the same day as Bowa.

3. I'm not that high on Lopez, nor do I think Aurilia has much left in the tank. I guess Aurilia on the strength of a better glove?

4. I really like DaVanon in the #2 hole vs. righties. Would have also liked Quinlan here as well has Scioscia gone with him at DH.

5. Makes tremendous sense to me to bring Biggio back to the IF. He just hasn't got the range to play CF anymore. Tough break for Burke as he has done enough this spring to earn a job.

6. I would Aquino rates the job off last year till he blows it, which I suspect he will. I don't like the idea of a guy who had success losing his gig on an early spring injury, it's bad for team chemistry. Let him pitch his way to a lesser role.

7. Adams will close for the team. I think they wanted the old vet Bottalico in the role, just on his experience. But off his miserable spring, I'm quite sure Adams has the job for now.

8. Completely disagree. Wickman may not own spectacular numbers, but he holds leads and finishes games. Howry is the perfect eighth inning flamethrower and a fine insurance policy.

9. Upton needs work in the field, and badly. I will be curious to see where he's worked in the minors, as I'm beginning to think he's a future OF. You just cannot restrict him to DH'ing and playing simulated games in the field. He'll be up and playing every day by mid-May.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby wrveres » Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:39 am

1. Cleveland. I think in the end, it will not really matter. Grady will be back up and manning the OF in a matter of weeks. The guy has had more than 500 Ab's only once this decade. Also, while Cleveland could certainly contend, this is Minnesota's division. ;-)

2. Phillies. Sadly, Michaels may be the best player of the 3. :-o

3. Reds. I am not surprised. Lopez has been handed this job for three seasons now, and has failed miserably.

4. Angels. I am a little surprised here too. Sounds like overall, Figgins will not even have a consistent spot in the batting order, and he may not even get consistent playing time. I have downgraded him in most of my rankings.

5. Astros. I have mixed feelings on this. First off, it is nice to see both Kobe Bryant and Craig Biggio are promoted to GM all in the same week. I mean, shouldn't the Manager decide what is best for the team at the least? On the other hand, Biggio never wanted to move in the first place, and only did so "for the team" when they brought in Kent. He looked horrible in the OF. I like the fact that the Astros are being loyal to him. The plus plus plus side of this .... I now own a Mr. Willy Taveras in three leagues ;-D

6. D-Backs. This position is far from settled. My dark horse candidate to have the job by the All Star break is Bruney

7. Milwaukee. Ricky was brought in simply as insurance. From what I read, he is happy with that. I think Adams will end up seeing a great majority of the saves in Milwaukee.

8. Cleveland. I love Wickman .... When he is healthy. Since he won't be, I see Howry taking the job.

9. Devil Rays. Please don't rush Upton. When he is ready, he will steal the Job. But I hope that TB does not rush him.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 746)

Postby tool069c » Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:23 am

An overlooked one by many, but, Pokey Reese starting SS for the M's as they send Jose Lopez down to the minors after a great spring.
tool069c
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby CrazyPooja90 » Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:42 am

Biggio isn't being selfish (he showed his selflessness not only in his moving from position to position but also the pay cuts he took to keep Bagwell a few years back) but knows that he is a lame duck to be scored up in the OF. It's tough luck for Burke, but it's best for the team to have Biggio in the IF
"I'm going to meet the greatest umpire of all, and he knows I'm innocent."

-Shoeless Joe Jackson
CrazyPooja90
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Bukoski77 » Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:20 pm

wrveres wrote:2. Phillies. Sadly, Michaels may be the best player of the 3. :-o

Well I guess anything is better than Glanville in CF :-D .
"Son we would like to keep you around here but were trying to win a pennant this year."
Bukoski77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby dryice » Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:12 am

the cheap teams (meaning not Boston or the Yanks) will keep their young studs terrorizing the minors UNTIL they promise in blood and under pain of death they'll produce stud-like numbers...not good numbers, not way above average numbers ... STUD numbers...

Since they're only gonna get 6 years out of em anyway, they want their BEST six years before they turn 40.

in the meantime they're sign some half-dead, old, wizened carcass with some name the fans can remotely remember as once being a baseball player.... and thus can be fooled into believing that this IS major league baseball.
dryice
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Baseball Leftovers